Trap Questions

Balryn

I have a few trap questions that I would like toget rulings on if possible:

1- Can a massive mechanical trap be phys rep by a falling sheet/tarp for safety purposes? (I'm thinking bigger here, since I don't think it's safe to drop a 10ftx10ftx3ft prop on anyone)

2- In relation to question 1, is it possible to get a building plot-certified with a collasping roof?

3- Is the 5 foot radius of area effect traps from the center of the trap or is it from the dimensions of the trap. (I.E. If I have a five foot box, does the trap affect things from it's center and therefore affect only 2.5 feet away, or does it affect things 5 feet away from the edges of the box)

4- If a building is non-warded, does an explosive, gas, area effect trap affect people on the other side of the wall?

5- If there are five gypsy rogues in the forest celebrating a good evening out and only four alchemical intoxicants to drink, what should the fifth gypsy do? (This is a highly debated question!)

I just wanted to get answers to these before the event.

~Barry

1. I will need to check the book, but I believe that this is acceptable.

2. That's up to plot. :D

3. A trap's radius is determined from the physical center of the bulk of the trap.

4. I will determine this when I have my book, however my inclination is to say no.

5. Kick back and enjoy the show with a nice bottle of wine.

Mk, lemme try.

1: Technically, a massive mechanical rep needs to be 3" by 3" by 3" minimum, so if you strapped pillows or something to the corners of the sheet, it fulfills the qualifications. Safety-wise, nearly all traps require a brief hold anyways, to inform the effected people of the effect, so once that is called, people should be allowed to get out from beneath the blanket, and then the safety issue is averted anyways.

2: (skipping for lack of plotness)

3: The Radius of a trap is five feet, measured from the container used to phyrep the contents of the trap, which must be attached to the trigger.

4: No, effects don't pass through walls. It makes measurement of effect radius extremely difficult, and would increase the duration of hold time, as well as create a whole mess of other problems.

As a final note, I've talked a bit with Mike Luther about the changes to the traps section, and for those who've seen my traps re-write for 10th ed, it looks like we have a similar idea on what we want the new one to look like. I'll have version 4, combining his stuff and mine, together shortly.

~Matt, OR variety

4- If a building is non-warded, does an explosive, gas, area effect trap affect people on the other side of the wall?
A side note on this. If the trap is an explosive one, and its area would cover/reach a door, then the people inside may take the effect as well. A door can be effected by the destroy effect of the explosion, and then allow the rest of the trap's effect to contiue if there had been no door in the 1st place. The radius is not changed of course, so the people inside still have to be within the area of effect.

Back