Using High Magic in Ritual Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banradi

Adept
I've been playing for about a year and a half now, but I still figured that this was a basic enough question that I should put it in here:

When using high magic in ritual casting (Such as True Empower, Terminate Ritual, or Rerolling), do you have to decide what rituals you want to use your high magic on ahead of time? If so, what's the reasoning for that in game?

Thanks!
-Ian

Banradi said:
When using high magic in ritual casting (Such as True Empower, Terminate Ritual, or Rerolling), do you have to decide what rituals you want to use your high magic on ahead of time? If so, what's the reasoning for that in game?

Yes to the first question.

"Because the powers that be approved it that way" is the only answer I have officially received on the second question. Honestly, I've been asking that for a while as well. The only logical reason I could come up with on my own is: "the theory is that to perform a ritual manipulation you have to be very familiar with the ritual, which necessitates studying the scroll and making your manipulation specific to the ritual you are casting".

Hmm... Okay.

For things like True Empower, it sort of makes sense... However if you're a high enough formalist where everything has a 90% chance of succeeding, then it really just seems arbitrary picking which scrolls you would want to reroll/terminate/etc. I guess I'd probably go for whatever had more components at that point. Thanks for the in-game reasoning! That's certainly better than what I had. (A.K.A. Nothing. :D )

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back