Vorpal Coating with other swings

Ken

Artisan
Vorpal Coating says it will be used up with the next swing, but doesn't specify what kind of swing it can be used with. The only specific exception seems to be Slay. Does Vorpal damage add to damaging spell/elemental/arcane strikes that characters can swing?

I have ruled yes, because of the explicit lack of qualifying language.

Upvote 0
I'm also in the "Yes" camp.

Upvote 0
I believe this is an oversight in the book. Keep in mind we're still working out the kinks of it. This is probably something that should be noted.
My gut says the intent is this should not be combinable. I think vorpals should likely have a caveat added that they only effect swings using the weapon carrier.

It feels very weird to me you could add a vorpal poison and heal someone for an extra 5 damage with combined strike, magistrium strike, empowered / enhanced strike.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Huh. That's a corner case I hadn't thought of Alkalin Thanks.

Upvote 0
I’m a hard no. Here’s why.

A coating on a weapon functions as a Weapon attack that can be Parried, Evaded, or Dodged. Ergo, I would rule it cannot be used with attacks that cannot be Parried, Evaded, or Dodged.

I’d be fine with it being used with any numerical Weapon qualifier, because those are compatible with other weapon coatings.

Since you can’t stack multiple coatings, it would indicate you could only use Vorpals where you could use other coatings. You can’t swing for 30 Spell Strike Nausea, so I would rule you also couldn’t use that Vorpal to do a 40 Spell Strike Flame, too.

Upvote 0
Back