Want to make your own chainmail on bulk?

Well, with the proper capital investment in the machine, the facility to house the materials/machine/product/sales office, and a known market for the product, I could see that machine being paid off pretty quickly. Now, if only I had the quarter million dollars of bare-minimum start-up investment...

Awesome. This is a machine for use in real safety gear though. Like shark proof diving mesh and other weird ****. But come on... WELDED mesh! This stuff is far superior to riveted or butted mesh by far. No split rings like butted and no rivets digging into your skin. Plus stainless steel doesn't really need to be oiled. Just stored clean and dry.

Cool stuff! Too bad it's so expensive...

Madhawk said:
Awesome. This is a machine for use in real safety gear though. Like shark proof diving mesh and other weird s***. But come on... WELDED mesh! This stuff is far superior to riveted or butted mesh by far. No split rings like butted and no rivets digging into your skin. Plus stainless steel doesn't really need to be oiled. Just stored clean and dry.

Cool stuff! Too bad it's so expensive...

Azon are the folks who made the machinery that Ringmesh uses. (they used to do armor themselves)

Worth. Every. Frickin. Cent. Doesn't break, doesn't lose rings, virtually zero care required, and is surprisingly light but tough stuff. :)

I'm working with some non-Ringmesh chain right now. It's not bad stuff, and for some costume purposes may look more appropriate than the Ringmesh, but at some point I'm definitely going the Ringmesh route. You just can't beat welded stainless, except perhaps with welded titanium ;)

That is some nifty stuff. If I had 50,000 bucks lying around though... I don't think I'd buy a chainmail machine. According to the site, you'd still have to buy ANOTHER machine to join all of the pieces.

I owned (all of my cool costume stuff seems to go bye-bye :/) some hand-knit chainmaill that was knit with rubber rings so that it was stretchy -- it made really neat, incredibly comfortable bracers -- especially when you knit in the really fun colored metal rings. I'd imagine it'd make some cool belts and anything else you'd want in "closer fitting" chainmail.

I should get some more of those. They were sweet.

Elysia said:
I owned (all of my cool costume stuff seems to go bye-bye :/) some hand-knit chainmaill that was knit with rubber rings so that it was stretchy -- it made really neat, incredibly comfortable bracers -- especially when you knit in the really fun colored metal rings.
Holy crap, that's totally do-able!
Cut black tubing with a flat snipper into tiny rings.
Cut half of them open.
Knit some maille.
Carefully glue each split ring.
Set them with instant-set spray to avoid clumped-together groups of rings.
Profit.

(Wow. Late but better than never...)

They weren't "split" rings, as the chainmail IS split, so the rubber rings didn't need to be. A litle more work perhaps, but still uber-sweet. They were just essentially rubber o-rings. So you don't even need to worry about gluing.

...I need summore of those for my Orc. Hrm.

I think what is getting loss in translation is that half of the rings were split metal rings, the other half were rubber O rings. The split metal rings would be woven with the solid rubber O rings and then squeezed shut.

Back