Want to play, but not sure when.

Vovix

The upcoming events page on the website shows the events from March and January. When is there going to be another event in the Oregon chapter? I would like to try it first before paying money, so the Seattle chapter doesn't work for me.

jpariury said:
Hi,

We're currently shooting for the middle of June for our next event, we just want to make sure that we have the site reserved full and proper-like before announcing it. I'm also considering working in a fighter practice or two at my place in Corvallis sometime after the Seattle event. Keep your eyes peeled here, on our twitter, or on our Facebook group page.

Howdy!

Like Sean quoted, we're looking at campsite availability and costs right now, our target is to schedule an event in mid-June. We should have something up later in the week.

One thing to consider for the Seattle event is that while they do charge their NPCs the price it costs them to have the NPC there (like $20 for a normal weekend?), they don't charge for food, so there is that.

Vovix said:
I would like to try it first before paying money,

As has been pointed out, there's no such thing as a free lunch. :)
Basically, it costs each chapter about $40 to have an NPC show up to an event. ($20 in site fees alone, plus food for NPCs, plus royalties to the games owner, plus insurance, plus paper/ink/pens/other logistics, plus the budget for costuming/props/prosthetics/makeup/etc, plus everything else I'm forgetting off the top of my head). Different chapters budget in different ways, and the "Fee" associated with NPCing ends up being called different things. Seattle calls theirs a $10 per day fee for NPCs, so $20 for a weekend event. Oregon has a $10 food fee. San Fran doesn't charge their NPCs, but the cost for their PCs is much higher. I prefer to make PCing as affordable as possible, so Seattle's fee structure is set up differently. No matter which way a chapter does it, the chapter is soaking most of the cost for the NPCs to be there. Any money left over at the end of the event goes into reserving sites for future games, getting props together, etc. At the end of the day, no one actually makes any money, we're an entirely not-for-profit volunteer organization.

Before deciding not to play anywhere that won't give you a free game, consider that you'll probably spend at least $20 for the weekend for food, which both Oregon and Seattle will cover for you. Also keep in mind that most activities (like catching a movie or something) will cost you quite a bit more for the amount of time that it'll keep you entertained. At $20 for a whole weekend, you're looking at around the least expensive entertainment you can get. ;)

Back