Wanted: defense attorney

James Trotta

Spellsword
Diversity Committee
As the Ducal tournament was beginning, 3 of my closest friends, members of Black Forest, were accused of necromancy and put on a quasi-trial during which they had no chance to defend themselves. If you can explain what more needs to be done to clear the good names of 3 of Ashbury's most loyal defenders, I want to hire you.

These are the facts of our case:

1. A witness claims she saw a member of Black Forest cast necromancy 7 years ago. She claims she was there and that she and two members of Black Forest conspired to keep the necromancy secret for years.
2. The witness was not present when the charges were brought.
3. The witness has been totally discredited. She is a crazed ex-lover of a Black Forest member. After being dumped, the witness committed suicide to prove her deranged hatred for Black Forest.
4. There is no corroborating evidence and no circumstantial evidence.
5. There has been no opportunity to find more reliable witnesses because the witness has conveniently forgotten many details (such as the names of other adventurers present). Since the witness is lying about the event we simply do not know when this is supposed to have happened or who might be called as a witness to deliver the true story.

Black Forest believes that the charges should never have been brought. Now that the charges have been brought and our good names dragged through the mud thanks to an unstable and vindictive "witness" Black Forest believes that the charges must be dropped. We wish to hire a solicitor to make our case to Magistrate Eros. We're sure the good paladin doesn't want to send 3 innocent men to their deaths based on one crazy accusation so who among you can help him see the obvious truth?

Sparktet Bone Littlebeard

Such evidence should not have even allowed this question to be entertained for all to hear. Should no one else wish to take this case I shall gladly step forward in the defense of your friends. For this to go any further is a travesty of the code of law and chivalry that we all believe and strive to fight for. One person with sketchy events being as they are should not condem three innocents.

Loken Raleigh

James Trotta said:
As the Ducal tournament was beginning, 3 of my closest friends, members of Black Forest, were accused of necromancy and put on a quasi-trial during which they had no chance to defend themselves.

Sparktet Bone Littlebeard

That's not entirely correct Sparky. We did present a defense, and it seemed to be a pretty solid one. However, the people on trial were still found guilty.

-Red

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I did not realize there was a true trial.

Since my friends were never able to question the accuser and since there is clear evidence that the accuser is seeking revenge, I never would have imagined that three men would be found guilty of necromancy because one unstable adventurer made a false accusation.

I believe I will continue the search for solicitors because this case marks an important moment for our duchy. Will Ashbury become a land where any citizen may settle a score by lying to the magistrate? Or will Ashbury become a duchy where justice triumphs over those who lie for personal revenge?

Thank you Loken for your interest in this case. I hope to find more solicitors willing to take up this important legal issue in order to assemble the best legal team possible.

Goodman Sparktet,

Icenian and Ashban law does not, and has never, granted the accused any right to question their accuser. I really don't know how this legal rumor started, but it's very common amongst the mercenar... excuse me, adventuring population. The Magistrate conducting the trial has the right to withold the identity of the accuser or accusers, and it is the presiding magistrate alone who determines the credibility of any witnesses heard. This is done to protect the identities and physical safety of those who come forward and report crimes, mostly the common folk of this land who have little defense against riled adventurers. The law also does not recognize the passage of time, if evidence sufficient to convict a person is found today and that person disappears for 10 years they will still be charged with the offense when they return.

Please note that I am not commenting on this case specifically as I was not present, just adressing some of the legal misconceptions that your original statement contained.

First and Only,
Sheriff Davin Holst

James Trotta said:
My apologies for the misunderstanding. I did not realize there was a true trial.

Since my friends were never able to question the accuser and since there is clear evidence that the accuser is seeking revenge, I never would have imagined that three men would be found guilty of necromancy because one unstable adventurer made a false accusation.

I believe I will continue the search for solicitors because this case marks an important moment for our duchy. Will Ashbury become a land where any citizen may settle a score by lying to the magistrate? Or will Ashbury become a duchy where justice triumphs over those who lie for personal revenge?

Thank you Loken for your interest in this case. I hope to find more solicitors willing to take up this important legal issue in order to assemble the best legal team possible.

Sparkey, Ashbury has become a land of, no matter what crime you have been accused of, you will never live it down unless you are a favorite in there eyes (Kheritana any one?). There is never atonement any more. Oh how I miss the days of Duke Aramis.

With this way of thinking, in Ashbury if you are not there favorite apparently any one can make a claim that you have done something and no matter how bad you destroy there accusations, they will find you guilty. This has been proven during this last gathering. Apparently we were so important Sparkey that they totaly ignored the fact that one of there own squires had committed a crime in another land. Another thing that depending on who you are Ashbury will or will not accuse and try you on (Parduce's stolen items/money in another land and yet some one took a death for it in Ashbury).

Be warned people of Ashbury, if they do not like you, you will have a story fabricated with holes in it and it won't matter what is said on your behalf. If they want you dead it will happen.

Toddo said:
Goodman Sparktet,

Icenian and Ashban law does not, and has never, granted the accused any right to question their accuser. I really don't know how this legal rumor started, but it's very common amongst the mercenar... excuse me, adventuring population. The Magistrate conducting the trial has the right to withold the identity of the accuser or accusers, and it is the presiding magistrate alone who determines the credibility of any witnesses heard. This is done to protect the identities and physical safety of those who come forward and report crimes, mostly the common folk of this land who have little defense against riled adventurers. The law also does not recognize the passage of time, if evidence sufficient to convict a person is found today and that person disappears for 10 years they will still be charged with the offense when they return.

Please note that I am not commenting on this case specifically as I was not present, just adressing some of the legal misconceptions that your original statement contained.

First and Only,
Sheriff Davin Holst

This "legal rumor" started from past trials where the accusers stood trial for questioning. It had been done in the past. I guess its a matter of weather Erros wants to make it look like a trial or not.

Sheriff Davin are you calling the adventuring population mercenaries? Your slight makes it seem that way. Not a good view to have as a man that dispenses justice.

I completely agree with you Sheriff Holst, a crime committed today with evidence today should not be dismissed because the person has disappeared for ten+ years. However a crime should not be prosecuted so earnestly if seven years have gone by and someone comes forward to say they saw someone do something at that time today. It begs the question and sets a dangerous standard in which as what has been said in the realm already of "I want you dead so you committed necromancy and even if you didn't I will still make others believe you did regardless." I myself will not presume to know what the Magistrate knows or doesn't know concerning the issue but the defense council should have been permitted to speak with the supposed witness.

Granted this is not law, custom, or what have you, but how does one defend themselves against the shadows? How does one refute claims if they know not who has levied them and possibly for what purpose? There are many issues that are not clear concerning this case as it has already been prosecuted so all of this is academic in nature. I suppose any records of the trial in question are sealed and the Magistrate is not permitted to discuss the case?

Ok....so we are gunna press charges against that woman too right? Since she conspired to keep it secret?

See I was the one who spoke for the others, I have had sometime to go over things in my mind. I found what bothers me the most about how this trial was done. His grace did allow red and I to speak, and for that I say thank you for showing understanding and compassion. A true sign of nobility. My problem comes from what lady darlasscia said " Lyle he had committed this crime before". Gilwing was never convicted of necromancy ever. In Moria he was charged with breaking the oath of chavlious. Which all crimes we have been charged with in moria have been lifted and we are free men. This brings me to the point where I believe these charges are some kind vengance for not being convicted in moria. Kind of like a we don't like you so, ha ha these charges stick. Sir eros said to me if we waited on evidence no one would be convicted, is justice to fill cells and punish? Or to protect the people with order and compassion. Sir Eros comment to me after his grace spoke was also cold and callous, so much that his grace reprimanded him. As I think about this more and more I am dishearted that "justice" was carried out in this mannor. True justice is fair and for all, not swayed but prejudgements and personal vendettas. Justice carried out in an unhonorable mannor is tyranny. There where people standing up and giving testimony on the behalf of gilwing and the others. The only evidence was the word of one person, who has an axe to grind. When I asked why does her word mean more then the people here and now.... I got the because it dose. Your grace if you read this, I did tell the others your words, I beg that in your wisdom you relook at the situations of this trial.

Lyle zaradan
black forest

With all do respect, They were convicted and sentenced. They then left prior to serving their punishment/service. (which only makes it 10x's worse).

Regardless of everyones personal feelings, regardless of even MY personal feelings and views on Black Forrest (which is nothing but positive for the 4 years i have known them). Sir Eros is Magistrate, his decision is close to beyond contestation, Public discussion is not going to help...

I request Those who have immediate 'ties' or valid, helpful information should bring it directly to Sir Eros.
I request that those with no connection to the accused or accuser should refrain from arguing, accusation, suggestions, or banter.
And before it gets to far I request, no I advise! EVERYONE should cease and disses the public slander and harmful accusations, especially against Ashbury and it's Nobles.

We need no more division... If you still wish to represent the people in question you have a way to contact Sparky at this point.

..... caution, diplomacy and respect.

Squire, Commander Ithica

"Follow me if i advance, kill me if i retreat, Avenge me if i die"

I thank you for your interest Sheriff Holst but I believe the misconceptions present are yours. The identity of the accuser is known to many including the accused so keeping her away from the trial protects only the lie she is telling. If the purpose of a trial is to get at the truth then the "witness" should be there to explain a few things.
Toddo said:
Goodman Sparktet,

First and Only,
Sheriff Davin Holst

Gilwing said:
Another thing that depending on who you are Ashbury will or will not accuse and try you on (Parduce's stolen items/money in another land and yet some one took a death for it in Ashbury).

This is an untruth. The party who was tried in Ashbury for the theft of Parduc's items was convicted by a panel of judges (squires and sir eros). His punishement was a fine. He chose to kill himself because well... i don't know why, but it seemed to me he was so shamed by his obvious guilt he couldn't think rationally.

I have no comment on your case as I don't know a thing about it other than hearsay, but since I was in Fairdale for the case you mentioned above, I'd rather the facts be discussed rather than rumor.

-Wizard Nathan Westwind
Guildmaster, Fairdale Mages' Guild
Elemental Warden of Icenia

Thank you, Wizard Nathan, for clarifying the situation. You are indeed correct.

As for Luigie, allow me to say that it is admirable that he now openly admits his murder of Robert Oakwood that took place over ten years ago. He, Gilwing, and his fellows loudly proclaimed their innocence at the time, claiming that a great injustice had been performed on them.

In fact, their cries of innocence back then were amazingly similar to their current ones.

Sir Eros

Was the evidence that led to conviction as shoddy in the Robert Oakwood case as it was in this current deranged ex-lover accusation case (for lack of a better name)?

My efforts to hire a defense attorney have been hampered - it seems that the nobles did not even hear what the accuser had to say or question her to get at the truth. Let me ask this: why would the nobles convict without ever speaking to the accuser?

Is it not good practice for a magistrate to question the only witness before sentencing men to death?

Fearless Leader said:
As for Luigie, allow me to say that it is admirable that he now openly admits his murder of Robert Oakwood that took place over ten years ago. He, Gilwing, and his fellows loudly proclaimed their innocence at the time, claiming that a great injustice had been performed on them.

In fact, their cries of innocence back then were amazingly similar to their current ones.

Sir Eros

Sir Eros,

I was a much younger adventurer 11 years ago and fell a victim to circumstances...as in I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was involved in his murder true…but I was not the actual murderer. He did not die by my hand, nor Gilwings.

Believe whatever you want Sir Eros. Your narrow minded delusional version of justice will never change. You believe finger-pointers and storytellers without a shred of evidence or a creditable eye witness account. You dispense “justice” with a bias eye and malice in your heart. Justice is not a popularity contest, but should be based on cold hard facts and evidence.

I’ll tell you what Sir Eros...next time I’m in Fairdale I will turn myself in to you, hand you my dagger and you can slit my throat personally to carry out my death sentence. Look into the eyes of an innocent man as I die by your hand. I just don't care anymore...this whole situation has just broken me in mind and spirit. Im damed either way I turn...

Luigie
BFFL

Hail, good people!

I believe in redemption for past crimes!

Magistrate, let them say that they are sorry and forgive them! It worked wonders for me!

I have been a greater villain than the Black Forest will ever be (whether blamed or otherwise)--and I was a great hero, before that--and yet I walk free! I have tricked my own people into slavery, ruined the hearts and fortunes of men. Though, I have sworn to go before the Vansir Council for my judgment...but in the mean time, I am doing some good in the world!

I have been granted a chance to make amends and save my people! Rather than dole out harsh punishment, I say let me take the Black Forest under my wing...lead them to the same redemption that I have brought myself to!

In fact, let me speak on their behalf in your trials, then let me lead them back to the light.

Bijorgrin the Redeemed

--------------------------------------------------

Lets just make sure the woman who brought these charges is put ta trial as well. And that van sir is showing up everywhere.

Grim - the not as title changery as the vansir fella but damn good lookin

We where already told she won't ..... cause she was sleeping with one of our members, running with us and trying to steal from our treasary..... oh wait no she was scared that's why it took years to come foward. Let alone we exposed some shaddy stuff her team was pulling. Justice is a funny thing, not only are 3 of our members being accused of nerco, by a jade lover but now I hear talk of bounty hunters and charges aganist red and I for ....... what I would love to know

Ziz all iz zo zad. Vhy do ve fight among ourzelvez? How can ve 'ope to get any zing done iv ve cannot truzt ourzelvez?!? I fear for ze fate ov Fairedale iv ve are turning on eachozer all ze time. I fear zat no vone vill be able to truzt anozer and ziz vill bring more trouble upon vone anozer zen ve need. Put a ztop to ziz.

Lanna Rose Draken

Back