Waylay Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alor

Scholar
Gettysburg Staff
It's been my understanding that a rule of thumb with all Alliance rules was that if one part of an effect was "no effect" then all of it was... but I was reading the rulebook and found the entry below.

Head armor provides protection from the
Waylay effects even if armor is breached but
the armor won’t provide protection from the
damage caused by the Waylay.

Does this statement only apply to breached armor? If not, does this make Waylay an exception to the rest of the rules? Should I post this instead to ARC?

Thanks!

Sufficient head armor protects from a sufficiently low damage waylay effect, but not the damage itself (which I believe goes straight to body).

This is an exception to standard rules application.

Upvote 0
Alor said:
It's been my understanding that a rule of thumb with all Alliance rules was that if one part of an effect was "no effect" then all of it was... but I was reading the rulebook and found the entry below.

Head armor provides protection from the
Waylay effects even if armor is breached but
the armor won’t provide protection from the
damage caused by the Waylay.

Does this statement only apply to breached armor? If not, does this make Waylay an exception to the rest of the rules? Should I post this instead to ARC?

Thanks!

I suspect you are using an old version of the rulebook since armor breaching isn't a thing any more..

From the current ARB on page 69:

"For example: Ena has a metal helmet which gives her protection against a "3 Waylay." Finther surprises her with a 3 waylay from behind. Her helmet provides protection against the attack and she takes no damage, and must respond "no effect."

The example clearly shows that if you're immune to one part, you're immune to the rest of it. She is immune to the Waylay because of her armor, and because of that takes no damage.

The damage, if taken, does indeed go straight to body.

However, in the other examples, it states that if you use the "expecting Waylay" defense, you take the damage, but do not take the Waylay's knockout effect, which would indicate that there is an exception, just not in the way being asked about in this thread with regard to armor and its interactions with Waylay.

It might be worth bringing up to your chapter owner to see about getting it cleaned up a little, perhaps a bit more consistent with other effects/rules.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back