Weapon and shield questions

Alright so I'm building my first sword and shield. The shield is 4 layers of cardboard and the sword is a basic red boffer (claws). Now what should I use for a good handle for the shield. I can't think of anything that would be firm enough but not so tough it will rip out of the cardboard.

The buffer looks GREAT and I built it to the specifics of the alliance handbook but the top just doesn't feel squishy enough. I used a single layer of duct tape but it feels firm. It doesn't squish down and spring :/ what could I do to fix it!?

Thanks ahead of time

As for the shield go to any home and garden supply place. Go to the painting supplies area. There will be items to put plaster up or there are sanding versions that have holes already drilled in. Run holes through the cardboard and use a washer on either side. run screw up through to the handle and tighten down with bolts.

As for claw how many laywers of duct tape did you use? I typically start with a cross of duct tape then 4 single pieces in the space that is still showing. take a knife give it a few pokes and it should have a nice squish factor to be able to thrust safely.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Or if others have more ideas please chime in!

Parrott

on my tips: I put some fabric around the side of the tip (keeping the top to the tape & using either double sided tape or adhesive on the bottom / to the closed cell foam). Push it against the tape you put over the tip to hold it in place. This will help the tip to slide easier.

im going to do that for my shield :D

i only used a single layer. maybe its the brand of duct tape? im using Duck Tape brand, maybe its too thick and strong? maybe im over thinking it too, cause it squishes it just doesnt squish well. i would dub it safe and if i need to fix it on site i can. i was thinking of putting a file to it or sand paper to give the tip some wear to make it squishy and springy :/ do you use the same or like brand?

Duck brand tape works just fine. I use it all the time.

Did you stab it a bunch? You need to make sure there's vent holes or it will squish and reform slowly.

Did you compress the foam too much when taping it down? That will result in reduced squish.

I figured out the problem with the sword. The foam was the wrong way. I had to cut out several circles of foam then layer them on top of each other. Now it's perfect except it looks a little sloppy but it's my first boffer and I only had three weeks to make up a costume :/

I'm working on the shield tomorrow I have some nice stuff to make the shield so I'll update how that turns out

just curious, what chapter are you going to be playing at?

Back