Weapon building tips

DiscOH

Artisan
I really enjoy sparing.

Even though I'm a pacifist in game, I'd like to build a weapon just to practice with.

Are there any resources you guys have handy? I'm looking at building a polearm.

Honestly? The rulebook. There's actually a really really good guide in there for how to build a basic boffer. For polearm length, you probably want to look at heading to a tap plastics and picking up a piece of kitespar. PVC has too much whip for two handers of any kind, unless you get the really heavy stuff... but why would you do that to yourself?

Yep. The ones that tipped out at our last fighter practice were the ones where I was experimenting with more delicate construction and fancier design. The ones we ended up using for most of it were the original dagger and short sword we made according to the rule book. Those things are ugly, but durable.

Kitespar instead of PVC as the core is a good upgrade if weight is a concern, but otherwise, yeah, start with the most basic build.

Bamboo also makes a pretty good core, being much better than PVC, but generally not quite as good as kitespar. You can usually find it at OSH or similar stores under garden supplies. Though you may have to dig through them to find ones that are strait enough, and of good diameter (they often tape enough that one end it too wide, and the other too narrow)

I've heard some people in other places suggesting carbon cores for polearms especially. Is that excessive?

I've also heard a lot of people complain about polearm thrusts, do I need to take any special precautions above and beyond the normal design?

Carbon core (kitespar) significantly takes down both weight and whip. Whip is one of the biggest design failures for polearms. It's not excessive at all, imo.

Design? No... a lot of people forget that thrusts need to be pulled. You can't use the same regular force with a thrust as with a regular swing. Especially with spears and polearms, since that's a bread and butter maneuver for those weapons. *Definitely* don't stop thrust. It's really all about training.

Go to goodwill - buy a graphite golf club for $5 or less - saw off head - use shaft as core.

As light as kitespar but more durable and it already has a decent handle.

Go to goodwill - buy a graphite golf club for $5 or less - saw off head - use shaft as core.

As light as kitespar but more durable and it already has a decent handle.

That wouldn't be long enough for a polearm though, right?

You could attach two together at the handle using a drill and ties or some other method. They aren't as flexible as kitespar so you'll have a better quality weapon all around at that length.

Kitespar gets really flexible at long lengths, and pvc is just heavy.

Below is a link for .505 filament wound epoxy tubing at 75”. You can cut it down (read directions on link page) to around 68”-69”, and then add your closed cell caps on either end and open cell stabbing tip to bring it back up to the 72” maximum.

The base price for the core is $20. It’s a competitive platform for building ultralight or custom plastidipped polearms. If you would like a core that is thicker than the .505, the vendor has additional sizes available. Ping me directly with any questions on either. I can provide additional links as required.

https://goodwinds.com/7221.html

TAP Plastics in SF has the same cores, if you prefer a local source.

I've heard, but haven't tested, that the taper on golf club handles can cause some problems.

Thanks Chris for the more detailed info... I haven't built a two handler, let alone a weapon, in far too long...

TAP Plastics in SF has the same cores, if you prefer a local source.

I've heard, but haven't tested, that the taper on golf club handles can cause some problems.

I purchase my one handed cores from TAP, they work great, and last for years if the rep is well stored, properly transported, and treated respectfully. Unfortunately I do not believe that they stock polearm length cores. If I recall correctly, they cap out at 54” for their in store lengths. If they can special order the 75” ones, then that’d be a great local resource.

Back