Weapon coating reps, restore against undead

KyleSchmelz

Fighter
Maybe I'm missing something in the rulebook (I swear I can read!), but I can't find the answer I'm looking for. How are weapon coatings phys-rep'd? I know that when you apply them to a weapon, the tag needs to be taped to that weapon, but until you do that, what do they look like?

And for a completely unrelated question, how does the spell Restore work against undead? I know the rulebook says "When cast upon undead, it has the same affect [sic] as a Wither has on living victims," but do you have to specify a target when casting it against undead? If not, how does the target resolve that?

KyleSchmelz said:
And for a completely unrelated question, how does the spell Restore work against undead? I know the rulebook says "When cast upon undead, it has the same affect [sic] as a Wither has on living victims," but do you have to specify a target when casting it against undead? If not, how does the target resolve that?

In Oregon a few years ago we ran into this problem when we were fighting a Chaos elemental. We came to the conclusion that since the specific verbal for Restore does not specify a limb that the target gets to choose which limb becomes useless, similar to how if a Disarm effect is used with a generic target (i.e. "weapon" on a creature wielding two weapons) that the person affected chooses which one should there be multiples that fit the description of the target.

As for the weapon coating thing, because it's "one use and done", I don't believe there's any requirement for a phys-rep, other than the tag.

No rulebook handy, but I believe weapon coatings need to be in potion-style reps.

*smacks forehead* That's what I get for reading too fast on a phone. Yes, the coating tag should be in a vial to be applied.

The tag just has to be affixed to the weapon after (and I'd let it slide as a marshal if you coat and immediately swing mid-fight).

jpariury said:
Traditionally, we've used similar reps to what you'd use to elixirs and potions.
That's what I was assuming, but since I couldn't find anything actually stating that, I figured I'd ask.

Alavatar said:
In Oregon a few years ago we ran into this problem when we were fighting a Chaos elemental. We came to the conclusion that since the specific verbal for Restore does not specify a limb that the target gets to choose which limb becomes useless, similar to how if a Disarm effect is used with a generic target (i.e. "weapon" on a creature wielding two weapons) that the person affected chooses which one should there be multiples that fit the description of the target.
That makes sense. I couldn't think of any other situation where you'd have an ambiguous target like that, so, again, I figured it was better to ask around than to just assume something and hope for the best.

If you have time, you should take the tag out and attach it to the weapon. In the middle of a battle, if you spend at least a few seconds holding the phys rep vial over the weapon and pretend to be applying the elixir, that should be fine.

Fearless Leader said:
If you have time, you should take the tag out and attach it to the weapon. In the middle of a battle, if you spend at least a few seconds holding the phys rep vial over the weapon and pretend to be applying the elixir, that should be fine.
That is explicitly not permitted.

Pg 110:
To apply a weapon coating, you must tape the tag to the weapon after ripping off the “unused” flag. This takes time to apply. It cannot be done with a quick touch in the middle of battle. The taping of the tag onto the weapon represents the time it takes, which may never be less than three seconds. If you do not have the tag taped to your weapon, the weapon coating is not effective.
(Bolding mine)

jpariury said:
Fearless Leader said:
That is explicitly not permitted.

Pg 110:
To apply a weapon coating, you must tape the tag to the weapon after ripping off the “unused” flag. This takes time to apply. It cannot be done with a quick touch in the middle of battle. The taping of the tag onto the weapon represents the time it takes, which may never be less than three seconds. If you do not have the tag taped to your weapon, the weapon coating is not effective.
(Bolding mine)

Hrm. I guess we should look into that then. To me, as long as you take three seconds that should be fine. This was one of those rules that fit in with the old tag system, where tags were paramount, and with a switch to battleboards, we probably don't need to be as anal retentive as before.

However, it is the rule and I will enforce it until it get changed. My bad.

guess I need to start carrying a roll of tape with me while adventuring.

Easiest way to do it I've found is to tape the tag to the outside of the vial with one end of the tape folded over so that you have a lip to grab, then you just pull off the tape, tag and all, and apply it to the weapon (if you want to get fancy you can tape the "unused) tag to the bottom of the vial with a different peice of tape so that the act of tearing off the tag automatically tears off the unused flag. The only issue I've found with it is that you have to make sure you take the full 3 seconds.

Toddo said:
Easiest way to do it I've found is to tape the tag to the outside of the vial with one end of the tape folded over so that you have a lip to grab, then you just pull off the tape, tag and all, and apply it to the weapon (if you want to get fancy you can tape the "unused) tag to the bottom of the vial with a different peice of tape so that the act of tearing off the tag automatically tears off the unused flag. The only issue I've found with it is that you have to make sure you take the full 3 seconds.

That's a good idea. I've also seen people laminate the weapon tag, tape it on the weapon using a thinner piece of tape, and just tuck the coating tag in that if it's a situation where they're coating and swinging over and over. Or you can make a little pocket out of clear tape that a coating tag can fit into, if coatings are something you use a lot of.

nice solutions...my new weapons will be sporting one of these.

My short sword (the one I use with coatings) has a plastic pocket on the pommel made from one of those card protector sheets for like baseball cards that works pretty well. I also keep a few coating tags pre-taped to sticky notes for my other sword so I don't have to screw around with tape in a fight.

obcidian_bandit said:
My short sword (the one I use with coatings) has a plastic pocket on the pommel made from one of those card protector sheets for like baseball cards that works pretty well.

Don't try to kid anybody. They're for MTG cards, not baseball cards. :)

obcidian_bandit said:
My short sword (the one I use with coatings) has a plastic pocket on the pommel made from one of those card protector sheets for like baseball cards that works pretty well. I also keep a few coating tags pre-taped to sticky notes for my other sword so I don't have to screw around with tape in a fight.

I use those card protectors on nearly every weapon I own. Very handy way to keep your tags attached, and you can put a second one on the weapon for coatings if you wanted to, methinks. Just have to take the aforementioned full three-count, right?

Back