Weapon Craft

I am looking to make a home-make latex short sword.
My question/idea is that I want it to look like Mayan Macuahuitl sword
296564865_tp.jpg

If I make a regular boffer sword with open cell blocks of 'black obsidian', would it be considered an edged or blunt?

I don't have an answer for you... but that headache is why I haven't made one for my jaguar sarr...

At best, it would be OK as a sword, at worst, I think it would run the risk of looking like an illegal blunt weapon. It couldn't be a legal blunt weapon because it wouldn't have the minimum shaft that is required between the grip and the head.

I would be curious to see how it came out - certainly due to the "grip, then blade" style construction it would only be legal as a sword (assuming it passed safety inspection).

jpariury said:
Why go boffer instead of flat foam?

finding a flat core that is flatter than a hockey stick and that is not going to cut through the foam when contact is made has been my biggest concern with going box.

So, depending on how wide you want it, one technique I used a while back was to take three layers of camp foam, and use 1/2" kitespare as the core. For the center layer, you use strapping tape to put a foam blade on either side of the core, then sandwich the blade between two other layers of camp foam, using a thin layer of latex as your adhesive. Set it up to apply even pressure and let it cure overnight, before latexing the whole thing.

Call me crazy, but if the weapon is designed to cut then it should be passable as an Edged Weapon. There is no rule that I have seen forbidding open cell foam on Edged Weapons, and I have even seen a few Edged Weapons with open cell foam added to make the weapons look like scimitars or similar to a khopesh. I mean, if there is no clear head, there is no shaft, the weapon is easily identifiable for what it is (a piece of wood with obsidian sticking out along the edges), and as long as the tag is properly adhered to the phys rep there shouldn't be any confusion. But I would go for a latex version for a cooler phys rep.

Personally, I would probably pass latex version as a One-Handed Edge (or Two-Handed Sword if you made a big one). Assuming it passed safety inspection, mind you. A boffer one I would have to review more carefully because as Bryan point out it might be confused as a Blunt Weapon depending on the construction.

jpariury said:
So, depending on how wide you want it, one technique I used a while back was to take three layers of camp foam, and use 1/2" kitespare as the core. For the center layer, you use strapping tape to put a foam blade on either side of the core, then sandwich the blade between two other layers of camp foam, using a thin layer of latex as your adhesive. Set it up to apply even pressure and let it cure overnight, before latexing the whole thing.

I am going to try this method.

I used to buy blue camp mat foam at Wal-Mart. Worked well. There was a green camp mat there, too, but it didn't glue very well at all.

Sean, what dimensions & density are you looking for? We've had quite a bit of square foam at work lately.

Druk said:
Sean, what dimensions & density are you looking for? We've had quite a bit of square foam at work lately.

The heavier stuff, anywhere from 1+ inches x 20 inches (+/-)

I'll keep my eye out, I had a perfect piece, but my dog got to it.

Back