Weapon Straps?

Is it legal to have a strap on your weapon that your wielding hand can go through? The idea being that if you got hit with a disarm, you let it drop like normal, but it still stays with you due to the strap around your wrist.

Whats the ruling, rules dudes?

No. If for no other reason as a safety issue absolutely not. You get into a big melee like the Raphael fight in the dark with a weapon swinging free on a strap, not only do you have a really good chance of having that weapon get hit and have it swing up and hit someone in the face, but could hurt your wrist too.

Jeff
not a marshall, but if I saw it I'd damn sure call in a marshall to put a stop to it

Johnathan Lancaster said:
Is it legal to have a strap on your weapon that your wielding hand can go through? The idea being that if you got hit with a disarm, you let it drop like normal, but it still stays with you due to the strap around your wrist.

Whats the ruling, rules dudes?

Jeff's comments pretty much reflect my own. From a safety standpoint, lanyards are a big no-no. Cut off circulation from twisted lanyards, flailing weapons not under strict control, etc.

As well, with regard to disarm in particular, the fourth paragraph in the spell description covers use of lanyards.

what if someone were to use a small strap to say, attach the weapon to a belt or something? I understand that long straps might be a safety hazard what with the whipping about while you're swinging and all, but what about a small knot of leather lace with a tight loop?

Leyk of Clan Ahas said:
what if someone were to use a small strap to say, attach the weapon to a belt or something? I understand that long straps might be a safety hazard what with the whipping about while you're swinging and all, but what about a small knot of leather lace with a tight loop?
Are you trying to tie it to the belt, or make a makeshift scabbard or what? I mean if your tieing it to you so it cant fall when you run, and you have to untie it to use it in combat, thats a lot diffrent than a strap around the arm to keep it attached in combat.

I suggest spending about twelve months in a Kung Fu studio asking them to teach you Su Yenja. It's a fancy sword maneuver where ya toss your sword into the sheath. (just become really good at it before using a blade, else ya ka-bob yourself in the thigh)

:)

Then you don't need a lanyard!

Or stop by your local metal store and magnetize the handle of your sword. It works for Jedi's and it'll work for you too!

Balryn said:
Or stop by your local metal store and magnetize the handle of your sword.
Actually, I was working on a way to do just that. The problem is, for the magnet to be strong enough, there has to be two heavy parts, one of which must be located somewhere in the sword. This 1: adds weight (and I'm fond of using ultralights, so not gonna happen) and 2: increases the chance of injury. Oh well.

~Matt, OR

Balryn said:
I suggest spending about twelve months in a Kung Fu studio asking them to teach you Su Yenja. It's a fancy sword maneuver where ya toss your sword into the sheath. (just become really good at it before using a blade, else ya ka-bob yourself in the thigh)

:)

Then you don't need a lanyard!

Or stop by your local metal store and magnetize the handle of your sword. It works for Jedi's and it'll work for you too!

The thigh if you're lucky.

Jeff
*wince*

Kerjal Obcidian said:
Balryn said:
Or stop by your local metal store and magnetize the handle of your sword.
Actually, I was working on a way to do just that. The problem is, for the magnet to be strong enough, there has to be two heavy parts, one of which must be located somewhere in the sword. This 1: adds weight (and I'm fond of using ultralights, so not gonna happen) and 2: increases the chance of injury. Oh well.

~Matt, OR

You just need stronger magnets. (Magnets come in VERY strong strengths at small sizes.) You also don't need to put them in the sword if you don't want to, basically create a magnetic "zipper" by finding longer bar magnets and sew them into suede or fabric for a quick release sword sheath.

Barry

Leyk of Clan Ahas said:

Comes back to the question: for what purpose? If you want to strap it to your wrist, I'd go with no. If you're wanting to not have to drop your weapon when disarmed, I'd go with no.

Nifty

I was just thinking of using it to attach to a shoulder strap for packing my spear or bow. but that magnet idea sounds great, but you should use electromagnets so all you have to do is flip a switch and then it's completely free

Leyk of Clan Ahas said:
I was just thinking of using it to attach to a shoulder strap for packing my spear or bow.
As far as the bow is concerned, on page 30 of the rule book it says, "No string is attached." I had a ribbon the I attachted to my bow, to do the same thing you are thinking about doing, but was told to remove the ribbon. It is a safety hazard. My suggestion if you want to carry a spear or bow, hands-free, is to make a scabbard out of cloth and attached to a belt.

Back