Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall a very effective way to occupy Evie... involving an exciting story of adventure and a certain marsh-dwelling flower...

But failing all else:

Trip to dollar store for shinies. Check.

Trust me, they're in the prop list that Shane and I talked about. :)

I say we have an Evie bucket in NPC camp. We can take bets about which shiney/strangely flawed things she'll end up with!

Mendacity said:
I too am wondering where the chapter will be based out of - I go to school at Hamilton College, near Utica, and would love to come out all fall and winter to play...

-Tim

So do you guys know the whereabouts?

The Camp we are looking at is in Ottisville NY just north of Middletown NY. That is where Interstates 84and 86 cross.

Tab

Ottisville? Really? That's 10 minutes from my home town. Man if only you guys opened this chapter up....well a long time ago. At least I'll have an excuse to head back there more often.

I'm totaly excited! Yay for a better drive from Sryacuse! I'm SO ready to do some major NPC'ing, and roll out my first Wylderkin ever!

Hi,

My name is Dave Yanolatos. I have been a long time larper and looking to become a new player in Alliance. I have played a gypsy, Dark elves, barbarian, dwarf. Larping has been good to me, I have made new friends, done really cool things and have had lots of fun. I took some time off because the last larp I played in, pretty much burned me out and I took time off.

Well I'm ready to rock, and this is the place where I wanna roll, lol. So I'm looking to get in touch with other new yorkers who are heading up to the first crossroads event in june. I could also use some advice and guidance, because I know every larp plays their races different, but any advice on playing playing a gypsy or a Dark Elf?

Dave

yes i did tab, I thank you very much for the email.

There were a couple of others who private messaged me, you can reach me at hawkmaccloud@yahoo.com that would be the better way to reach me til I am authorized to respond to private messages.

Any players coming up from nyc by anychance for the june event?

Im not sure if this is the right spot to ask, but I figured I would ask.

What is the acceptable material for building weapons?

Acceptable weapon materials include
For Core
1.Pvc or cpvc pipe
2.Fiber Glass KiteSpar
3.Graphite(Old golf clubs)
4.LIght Aluminum pipe FOR 2 handed swords, polearms and staffs only
5.Fishing rods can work in a pinch as well, they just need a little more prep work.

For Padding
1. 5/8" wall pipe insulation
2. two layers of 3/8" pipe insulation
3. 5/8" thickness of Camp pad/activity pad for Shields. I would recommend NOT using this for melee weapons, just shields
4. Open Cell foam, JO-Ann's sells 2" green foam by the foot. This can be used for axe/mace/polearm heads, thrusting tips, or to widen out a blade, like making a Falchion/Kukri design.
5. In a pinch Pool Noodles can work as padding, if using them for swords its usually good to tape up the length you're using and then remove the tape to get rid of the outer film, this makes the noodle softer.

For Covering
1.Duct tape of the threaded variety, more plastic versions can get hard in the cold and can make sharp edges if not smoothed out when put on a weapon. Plus be aware that red tape means the weapon is a claw and white tape means the weapon is magical.
2.Spray on and painted on types of liquid rubber(Tool Dip) can also be used.
3.Kite Tape can also be used but does not weather very well.
4.Nylons IE, panty hose, can also be used to cover weapons, they are less durable and can get covered in briars and other plant hitchhikers when playing in the woods.
5.Sewn Cloth covers, these need to not be weird colors/patterns, No plaid swords plz.

I probably missed a few but I hope this gives you a few options.
If you have any questions let me know,
Will K.

Hi,

that was awesome. You definitely answered my question on that. I happen to have the kite spar and everything. thank you for your help. For a minute there I thought I was gonna have to replace what I currently have "whew"

I look forward to june everyone and thanks for helping a person looking to get back into the swing of things

Dave y

You're very welcome. We'll see you in June then.
Will

hey Will, whats a good measurment for the alum. pipe for 2 handers ( ID, OD and such)

thanks,

Matt

Never used it but basically thick enough not to bend and thin enough to still have a lil flex. Aluminum core was used in the days before kite spar became commonplace. I recommend getting a piece of 2 handed core from Jesse at the next Caldaria, I think he asks $12.00 for one. And it will never break or bend. Cannot say the same for aluminum.
Will

The few aluminum weapons i have seen in my comparatively short time playing have always been warped. makes for interesting shapes but i wouldnt trust the material.

I can't agree with that. I have an alum polearm I've been using for 2 1/2 years, and it's still true. Hasn't needed many repairs either.
It's not UL, or probably L either, It's kind of a log, but it does the job.

Hmm,

I'm not a big fan of aluminum pipe used in weaponry. I have had a couple bad experiences with it. In general I don't really find it to be safe (or soft, lol). I do like the kite spar and the pvc pipe, because they are lighter. that and with pvc if you do it the right way you can bend it to shape the blade, which is why I like it for katana blades and scimitars.

Any weapon suggestions for Dark Elves and gypsies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back