Well meet from a soon to be member

Harp

Imagine my surprise when I'm looking for games in the Portland area for my move there next spring when I come across NERO!
I've heard a lot about the organization from friends here in Salt Lake who moved from New Hampshire in the 90's, and have already set the ball rolling to arrange for my membership. I hope that I'm not breaking any etiquette by posting on the board before I'm official, but I'm excited about finding you all and hope to attend at least one event before moving up there. (I'll be coming to Portland to tour the Culinary Acadamy ~32 and I'm going back to school*groan*~ sometime before winter, and since it's just a hop and a jump)
So, I'm Tom, I've seen a lot about you, have any questions for me?

No etiquette breached at all. In fact we prefer that you get as many questions in before an event, so that you can focus on gaming rather than fumbling around (kinda like my first event).

Well, your in luck if your coming up around here before inter, as our events are scattered throughout the begining of fall to the end of winter. Hop on over to our event schedule on our website and see which event you would be up here for.

~DigiRyan

Harp said:
Imagine my surprise when I'm looking for games in the Portland area for my move there next spring when I come across NERO!
I've heard a lot about the organization from friends here in Salt Lake who moved from New Hampshire in the 90's, and have already set the ball rolling to arrange for my membership. I hope that I'm not breaking any etiquette by posting on the board before I'm official, but I'm excited about finding you all and hope to attend at least one event before moving up there. (I'll be coming to Portland to tour the Culinary Acadamy ~32 and I'm going back to school*groan*~ sometime before winter, and since it's just a hop and a jump)
So, I'm Tom, I've seen a lot about you, have any questions for me?

Welcome! I know what you mean about going back to school, I'm 31 and just went back to school last year! As for contact, that's fine. Feel free to post here on the boards and talk to staff and plot about your character. You can find our emails listed here.

One thing I want to caution though. I assume your friends are setting up a base character to then transfer out here. If your friends are setting things up with NERO Alliance New Hampshire, that's great. If they are setting it with the NERO International chapter... that too will transfer, but it is a different game... sort of. The story is a bit to take in, but you can read both sides on the web if you are interested. (let me know, I can direct you to the links) The short story is higher ups who ran the game had a disagreement, split each to run the game, each claiming to have the rights and neither sued/filed claims before the statuate of limitations experied and so there is a weird two games/same game thing happening. The point being, that if they still play and their characters are active in an International chapter, you won't be able to play with them, as we are an Alliance chapter. There is no International chapter in Washignton or Oregon. Generally we like to stay out of all that and just play and have a good time.

Well, I hope that wasn't too much overload! Welcome and I look foreward to meeting you in person. If you have any further questions, go ahead and ask here or in an email. Again, welcome!

*throws a spell packet at Sean's eye*

Hi, Sean.

Landon you gotta start remembering we CAN actually physically abuse you for your smartalec attitude from now on. And will. In fact, c'mere you.....

Jeff
happy bday man, glad to finally be able to take you on ALL the adventures

Oh and welcome aboard, Tom. I have a friend who is currently finishing up at the cuilinary school and she loves it, you will too I'm sure!

Taran said:
hmmm... well i have a question for ya, what size shoe do you wear?
10 1/2, I'll be looking for those boots any day now :D
The LARPs that I've played in Salt Lake have been based on the NERO ruleset, so I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to slide in to the game pretty easily.
As for the earlier comment abount OOG game drama, I've been in the Camarilla for 10 years now, we'll trade war stories when I get up there. :rolleyes:

I've let my room mate know of the merry band of folk that I've found, and he's excited to join up when we get there!
He's a long time LARPer as well, both boffer and Camarilla, as well as another applicant at the culinary acadamy (two cooks for the price of one! Need help in the tavern? :D )
A quick question regarding guilds: is there a set standard of skills and abilities needed to join a guild, or does each guild have its own set of criteria?
I'm particularly interested in the Healers and Mages guilds, as these two types of characters are my current favorites

Tom

Harp said:
I've let my room mate know of the merry band of folk that I've found, and he's excited to join up when we get there!
He's a long time LARPer as well, both boffer and Camarilla, as well as another applicant at the culinary acadamy (two cooks for the price of one! Need help in the tavern? :D )
A quick question regarding guilds: is there a set standard of skills and abilities needed to join a guild, or does each guild have its own set of criteria?
I'm particularly interested in the Healers and Mages guilds, as these two types of characters are my current favorites

Tom

There is nothing you need to do out of game to join a guild, other than have some skills that center around the core of the guild is a good idea, ie Healing Magic for the Earth Guild, Celestial Spells for the Brotherhood of the Star (the Celestial Guild). The Mage's Guild, the Magistratium, also has very simple requirements. You should have rogue skills if you want to join a rogue's guild (I mean... if there were a rogue's guild... that kind of thing would be illegal! :p) and so on. The best way to find out about joining guilds is in-game. I hope that helps!

Is there a PDF version of the rules available, so that I could begin familiarizing myself?

Tom

I'm afraid not, actually. The rulebook is copyrighted, and any re-production in whole or in part of it are illegal. That's why it's also difficult to find faqs on weapon building for anything other then a basic Longsword. I'd be happy to try to give you as much info as possible if you'd like, message me on one of my various messangers. Obcidian_bandit (yahoo), ObcidianBandit (aim) or obcidian_bandit (msn). If I'm away, leave a msg.

~Matt, OR Variety

Kerjal Obcidian said:
I'm afraid not, actually. The rulebook is copyrighted, and any re-production in whole or in part of it are illegal. That's why it's also difficult to find faqs on weapon building for anything other then a basic Longsword. I'd be happy to try to give you as much info as possible if you'd like, message me on one of my various messangers. Obcidian_bandit (yahoo), ObcidianBandit (aim) or obcidian_bandit (msn). If I'm away, leave a msg.

~Matt, OR Variety

To extend Matt's invitation, there's sufficient Portland-area NERO players that I'm sure you could get some hands-on help if you have questions about specifics. I'd be happy to meet you and your roommate and help you out with some character creation and weapon safety questions, for example, and I'm sure others would be as well.

-Bryan

I appreciate that, Brian. Right now I'm just looking to start learning the rules for when we get to Portland next spring. I like to know what I'm dong before I start swinging :)

Back