When are coatings considered "Used"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MathGwyson

Artisan
I noticed an inconsistency in different sections of the rules that I thought I should make sure I get clarified.

In the Alchemy section on page 110, weapon coatings are used up (and I'm totally paraphrasing) if they hit anything on the next swing. So if you completely miss they are still active, but if it is blocked with a weapon or shield it is used up (which is why I've always been sure to put them on people who like to circle around and attack from behind instead of engage head to head)

When I was reading "Calling Damage" as part of the previous question I asked, I noticed it says, and I quote "If you use an effect such as Endow or Vorpal Coating to add damage to a weapon, then the effect is used up regardless of weather the blow was successful." While I know Endow gets used up regardless of hit or miss, the other section indicates that a miss does not use up the coating whereas this says it gets used up regardless.

Which is correct?

Also as a point of clarification - if I block with a weapon that has a coating, is the coating used up since it made contact with the weapon, or is it only if I attack and it is blocked? (The latter is the literal interpretation, but I know that's not always consistent) Since I use a staff, does it matter if I block with the "blade" padded portion, or the 'handle' portion?

Thanks for your time in answering these :).

I haven't had a chance to look at the rulebook and confirm whether an inconsistency exists or not, so I am only answering your second question.

Blocking does NOT cause a weapon coating to be used.

Michael Strauss
Marshal HQ

Upvote 0
"If you use an effect such as Endow or Vorpal Coating to add damage to a weapon, then the effect is used up regardless of weather the blow was successful." is not invalidated by "A swing in the air does not use up the weapon coating but hitting a target—even a shield or a sword—does." Rather, it is a partial exemption being clarified. The section specific to weapon coatings trumps the general statement from elsewhere in the book.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back