Where do ritual scrolls come from?

A

Anonymous

Who makes them?

This may seem a bit naive for one who can cast and even teach how to cast formal magics, yet, being a native of the deep woods, this piece of knowledge has always managed to elude me.

Elendil

Though extremely rare (they used to be much more common), there are such things as "permanent" ritual scrolls. These scrolls never wear out and may be recast over and over. If one uses a "Copy Formal Scroll" or "Copy Permanent Formal Scroll" on these scrolls, one gets a new copy. So theoretically every scroll you find was originally copied from one of these permanent scrolls.

Whether or not that's the only source of ritual scrolls in Fortannis... well, that you'll have to find out for yourself.

-Polare Lissenstine

A long time ago, me and Derek sat down and decided to invent something new and cool for the world. We could tell you how to do it, but I can't quite remember the ink formula, and Derek forgot the words. It happens when you're really really old. Pretty sure it takes a grandmaster alchemist and grand vizier, plus certain special components held only by Those Who Walk The Wrong Way.

@~}~~
G

Either that, or I don't know.

So, if you had a permanent "Copy Formal Scroll" scroll, you'd be set.

I want one.

Elendil

I would think Derek would remember something like that!

So Polare (and anyone else who cares to), correct me if I'm wrong: the origins of the original formal scrolls are unknown, and all other formal scrolls are descendants of the originals via copy rituals?

But what about dragons? Being able to cast rituals at will as if it was battle magic, can they create formal scrolls? Can they create permanent formal scrolls?

Even if they couldn't, a dragon mage who could cast "Copy Formal Scroll" as if it was battle magic wouldn't need to be able to create ritual scrolls from scratch. How does one become a dragon caster?

Will the soul forge ritual allow you to become a dragon? Or is there some other ritual that will do this?

And there's probably some powerful factions out there somewhere that have the choicest permanent ritual scrolls, including a permanent "Copy Formal Scroll".

Do you know of the owner of any permanent "Copy Formal Scrolls"?
If you had a particularly rare scroll that they didn't have, a wonderful alliance could result.

Is it possible to spellcraft a "Copy Formal Scroll"?

So basically, there's production of formal scrolls somewhere, and people like us acquire them through the trickle down effect?

Can a "Copy Permanent Formal Scroll" make a permanent scroll from a non-permanent scroll?

Are there permanent battle magic scrolls?

I feel like a schoolelf again!

Elendil

Elendil,

The answers to your questions are probably too voluminous to have a proper conversation about via the Dreamscape. I would recommend seeking an experienced formalist (such as myself, the esteemed Master Shikar Al'Bastuea, Derek Ironhammer, or Master Elryion Nyienos) and speaking to one of us in person about your questions. I would also recommend writing both the questions and the answers you receive down for your future reference (and the day when you might be asked these questions by another).

I will be around Crocevia Fatuae in just over a week's time and would be happy to talk to you about these subjects in person if you are there.

-Polare Lissenstine

Elendil the Elf said:
I would think Derek would remember something like that!

When thousands of years old you reach, remember as much, you will not. That being said, 'twas a joke, youngling.

the origins of the original formal scrolls are unknown

Depends on who you ask, and what you accept as "knowing".

all other formal scrolls are descendants of the originals via copy rituals?

Possibly, but not necessarily, as Polare outlined.

But what about dragons? Being able to cast rituals at will as if it was battle magic, can they create formal scrolls?

"Battle" magic is a term that has sort of lost meaning, so I will dispense with that particular phrase. There is magic, and there are formals. Some dragons can cast formal magic effects through Dragon Magic more or less at will, much as you or I can cast our spells at will. Derek, being the closest thing to what some people call dragons, cannot (unless he's been keeping secrets).

Similarly, I have witnessed dragons creating brand-new formal scrolls by sheer will, others spending time and considerable resources using ultra-rare and unique objects to craft them, and some I know claim to not be capable.

Can they create permanent formal scrolls?

Your best bet would to find your nearest dragon and simply ask him or her. If they say "No", then it's probably best not to push on the subject.

Even if they couldn't, a dragon mage who could cast "Copy Formal Scroll" as if it was battle magic wouldn't need to be able to create ritual scrolls from scratch.

I don't know the local requirements for dragon magic, and by all appearances it appears to change from plane to plane, in some fashion. In the lands I inhabited before coming to Fortannis, for instance, one needed to be capable of casting four spells of the ninth circle in each existing form of magic, AND capable of casting formals in each school. THEN they needed to be sponsored by a member of the Council of Wyrms. NEXT, they needed to be train to cast Dragon Magic itself, a skill which generally took twice the effort needed to learn to simply read. Once that was done, for each matched rank of formal magic the novitiate knew, they were capable of casting one dragon magic spell from memory.

Now, memorizing a dragon magic spell was also a somewhat involved process, that involved memorizing the contents of a formal magic spell from a formal scroll, a process that generally consumed the scroll itself in the process, regardless of the scroll's temporary or permanent nature.

In addition to the traditional formal magics, the dragon mages of my lands had rituals that only they had access to. These included such spells as "Forge Dragon Warder", which would invoke one chosen person to become the Dragon Mage's Warder, capable of recognizing other Dragon Mages on sight, as well as benefit from special Dragon Mage-only protective and enhancing spells.

In one peculiar land I have travelled to, all mages were, in fact, "dragon-rank mages". Wizards of the region capable of casting any sort of spell were born with a small mark on their skin in the shape of a dragon of sorts, and were capable of harnessing their ken, which, roughly translated, means "life essence". Ken replenishes itself with sleep, food, and rest, depending on the health of the wizard, and dragon mages of this region are able to store their essence in gems of varying values, depending on their ranking within the Order.

In a third land that I have travelled to, dragon mages were simply the mortal avatars of the dragons, whom it was believed were responsible for the creation, metamorphisis, and destruction of all existence. While their corporeal selves were as vulnerable as you to physical harm, spiritually they were utterly indestructible. Dragon magic in this realm was simply an extension of their own will. Things occurred because they wished it to be so, and hard-pressed was anyone to be able to outmanuever the dragons' imagination.

How does one become a dragon caster?

Again, it depends, but I believe that the requirements in Fortannis are in some fashion similar to the ones I outlined in my first example above.

Will the soul forge ritual allow you to become a dragon?

I believe you are referring to Spirit Forge. No, Spirit Forge will allow you to unlearn as many skills you like, and improve, hinder, or maintain the skills that you already know. Some people, after Spirit Forging, find that they know very little, but are capable of learning new skills at a rapid rate.

Or is there some other ritual that will do this?

You might be mistakenly thinking of "Race Change", a formal magic capable of altering one's physical, psychological, and mystical essence to match that of a particular common race. Suffice it to say, no, "dragon" is not one of the listed races to which one may transform. Some philosophers, in fact, have used this particular facet of formal magic to imply that some races, such as Human, Elf, Sarr, Gypsy, and the like are inherently superior to others, such as Goblin, Knoll, or Dragon. I would not bandy about such opinions as my own, however, since I find that Fate and The Powers That Be are fickle in maintaining a coherent sense of permanence to the universe.

And there's probably some powerful factions out there somewhere that have the choicest permanent ritual scrolls, including a permanent "Copy Formal Scroll".

Possibly. I would suggest that rushing to seek them out is a quick path to drawing from the Bag of Life and Death.

Do you know of the owner of any permanent "Copy Formal Scrolls"?

I would suggest that discussing this matter in so unsecure a location as the Dreamscape is foolhardy, and would endanger the lives of not just the people claiming such knowledge, but those near them, and the ones they discuss.

If you had a particularly rare scroll that they didn't have, a wonderful alliance could result.

I know of no quicker way to paint a target on someone's behind, either.

Is it possible to spellcraft a "Copy Formal Scroll"?

No.

So basically, there's production of formal scrolls somewhere, and people like us acquire them through the trickle down effect?

More or less correct.

Can a "Copy Permanent Formal Scroll" make a permanent scroll from a non-permanent scroll?

I have not seen any such scroll, but I would hazard to say "No" with full confidence.

Are there permanent battle magic scrolls?

Again, I am unclear on your meaning. What is a "battle magic"? Light? Flame Bolt? Circle of Power? Obliterate?

I feel like a schoolelf again!

No worries. Next you'll want to know about Shadow Magic, Harmonics, Rune Magic, Tattoo Magic, and Nature Magic.

@~}~~
G

" I can't quite remember the ink formula, and Derek forgot the words. It happens when you're really really old. Pretty sure it takes a grandmaster alchemist and grand vizier, plus certain special components held only by Those Who Walk The Wrong Way.

@~}~~
G"

I would be very intrested in helping you discover this formula once again. I believe my status as an alchemist is uncontested in all the lands I know of. I would be willing to work with this "vizier" you speak of to make it happen.

-Grand Master Alchemist Ikmoqs
;)

Either that, or I don't know.[/quote]

Damien said:
With typewrighters! Thats the key!

~Nye

Nye, have you been in the hallucinoids again? What on Fortannis is a typewriter?

Maybe someone who write in certain type? Like elf-type, biata-type, dwarf-type, common-type . . . type-kinds that are different from type-kind you know. Because you cannot read letters of other type without learn, right? elf-type looks like vines, biata type looks like ribbon in the wind, dwarf-type looks like square things.

Or maybe I am wrong. Unlikely, but possible.

Is Cade who dream here the Cade I met winter last?

Kitty

Yes indeed...

I am the very same Cade all of Gianeria met and fell in love with.

At your service...

Cade Thornill
Black Wolf of the Cove
Master of Life and Death

you know i once heard and interesting story told by kerjal and ramses and how they found the very source of formal scrolls......you should ask kerjal sometime, monkeys have more to do with it then you know...ramses however i believe has past so finding him to ask would be diffacult.
~Taltos

Back