WHERE TO FIND GOOD PROSTHETICS?

anyone got a clue about where a person can find a half face bat mask? ie: bat scavenger. I have searched the internet and found some people who make entire face and body bat costumes on commission for thousands of dollars..not really interested in that. looking for a half face or even nose prosthetic. if cannot find then im looking at hot glue gun and a pig nose with some paint. any ideas guys?

Re: WHERE TO FIND GOOD PROTHETICS?

There is only one readily available bat prosthetic for use, which comes from NorthFur FX. I can personally vouch for their products -- they make excellent masks in latex, cold foam, and hot foam. :)

You have a few different options depending on what species of bat you're going for, but here's an example of their vampire bat muzzle in cold foam (which is what I suggest you use, or hot foam): http://www.northfur.ca/shop/index.php?m ... j4vr9qud27

I suggest Hot foam if you go with Northfur. That foam is the soft type like the ones Lyonshel use for their cat masks. I've never bought from Northfur but their stuff looks really good. Anybody looking to play a scavvy should check them out. They even have videos posted of some of their masks fully painted so you can see how well they move.

THAT ROCKS!!! you guys are so awesome you wouldn't believe how long i've been looking for JUST THAT...this northfur place is amazing!!! and affordable. not 1,000 only 70!!! so do-able!!! yay...if I knew you I'd squish you with hugs!!!

Well, umm, you NPC with one of them in Caldaria all the time...

Alor said:

Lies! Fallacies!

But yeah, NF does awesome work and they're very chill people. Kangena also does some pretty good work, but they're more expensive since they're UK based and their selection is a bit smaller.

youthculture said:
Alor said:

Lies! Fallacies!

didn't anyone tell you? that's all that comes out of my mouth ;)

I NPC with you guys in caldaria???? oh jeepers!!! hmmm well...next time I see you I will squish you...make sure you tell me who you are though because I don't want to squish the wrong person. That would just be a bit akward and stuff...especially if I accidentally squished carl or paul or summat like that!!!! they're not the most squishible folks I know!!

Seems to me someone should make a post indexing resources for make-up/prosthetics/etc... save a lot of people a lot of time looking around and asking similar questions.

Saephis said:
Seems to me someone should make a post indexing resources for make-up/prosthetics/etc... save a lot of people a lot of time looking around and asking similar questions.

Sounds like a smart idea for me. I'll start going through my costuming bookmarks~

yeah...and a place for wings and stuff too....and make up....and ears....still can't find bat ears but hopefully i'll just get some elf ones and tweak em!

Telokh_Amdo said:
I suggest Hot foam if you go with Northfur. That foam is the soft type like the ones Lyonshel use for their cat masks. I've never bought from Northfur but their stuff looks really good. Anybody looking to play a scavvy should check them out. They even have videos posted of some of their masks fully painted so you can see how well they move.

We have a few pieces from Northfur. If anybody saw the stone minotaur, the mask was from Northfur. Good quality stuff, and they have a bigger variety of critters, whereas Lyonshel just has cats (well, they can paint them a bit differently to look like other things but the shape is the same).

Should probably sticky this post: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=306

Posting in this one to keep that one clean of un-necessary posts.

Another place with some good animal prosthetics is Kangena.co.uk

The foam ones cost a bit more but are worth it in my opinion.

Zehnyu's mask is from http://www.lyonshel.com

Mischief's nose, Zehnyu's tail, the merax mask, anyone who saw my halloween "Beast" Face. (separate jaw and nose), and numerous other upcoming prosthetics are from Northfurfx, who are absolutely great to work with, are reasonably priced, and yes, this really is me jumping up and down about them without having gotten paid. You can find them at : http://www.northfur.ca/

-Ali

SuperJay said:
No, I'm not a stalker, rather the beginning of the months lets me see stats of where hits are coming from before search engines take up all the top30 places.
I appreciate the kind words many of you have about Northfur :)

I'd like to clarify a few things about prosthetics.

Like youthculture said, slush cast is a build-up of 3-4 layers of latex in the molds making a hollow latex shell.
It's only glued down around the edges, so it'll have less expression. But it's useful for those on tight budgets and they're pretty tough and the most durable for being glued on and removed, lasting a dozen applications of more. It's like peeling off a band-aid. This is what Cinema Secrets, Reel FX and a few others use.

Cold foam latex is a sandwich of slush cast latex layers on the outside with expanding polyurethane foam filling the inside. I usually don't recommend it for gluing onto your skin as a prosthetic because it'll have thicker edges that make it hard to blend into your skin. Cold foam is best used as a mask like Kagena's work (I think they're cold foam as well?), where they're painted or furred and possibly attached to a strap, spandex hood or made into a full head mask and not glued on at all. Without being glued on, they'll last for many years.

Hot foam latex is a soft foam that's whipped up and baked in an oven. It's soft, extremely flexible and since it's filled, it'll come into more contact with your face and will give the best expression of these materials. But it needs some care when removing since it can rip, a remover would be recommended for this. They'll last 10 or so applications, possibly more. This is what Lyonshel, Scream Team, FX Faces and Woochie Pro use.

So really, the decision between materials comes down to 3 things: budget, durability and realism. Choosing which is most important to you and you'll be able to choose which material is best for your needs.

My partner and I use all 3 materials, so there are alot of options.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding spirit gum for the larger prosthetics, it's ok for beards, hair and small noses, small horns or pointed ear tips, but for anything larger, like a brow, full face, larger ears, larger horns, etc.; you'd want to use Pros-Aid, Pro Adhesive or Surgical Adhesive. Many costume stores have these, several online have them as well. I usually do, but because of it being winter, they can freeze during shipping and that'll ruin them. Also, these adhesives smell alot nicer.

BTW, I'm always open for suggestions of new sculptures~

Northfur also apparently visits our boards. Who knew? :)

-Ali

Back