Winter Costumes

I'm new, so I haven't been able to see other costumes other than a few pictures.
I live in a rather cold chapter, Sup SoMn? So therefore for the begining fo the season It's going to be really cold.
I have two costumes, both are super pretty and everything I want them to be despite the fact...that I totally forgot I live in a snow covered state. So, my costumes cut off short exposing legs and such. So to put it blankly, they aren't warm at all.
They'll be perfect for every other season except winter.
So, I was wondering what everyone normally does for the winter months. Any advice on where to get a warmer costume, or how to make my current ones warmer?

I know for Feb in SoMN, if we have another 1 day, it's pretty lax as far as costuming, as being warm is more preferable for people. I would just get a coat at a thrift store or something, spice it up a little and ta da, cold weather coat. April is a little cold but May-Oct isn't bad in SoMN. Gloves can be anything, scarves work well and for pants, just wear anything warm.

Most of my costuming is a bit bulky to allow for cold weather (plus a belt cinched set of larping clothing is extremely comfortable) It's not as pretty as some (unless you count my bunnykin's costuming.) Most gals I see that have played awhile have at least one costume that includes a significant skirt/sleeves of light weight fabric. That way it can be worn in the hot summer months, and in the winter it's got room for layers underneath. For me a set of good long johns, and sweats under my costuming keeps me fairly warm even at 0 degree events, it's just a matter of layering things right :).

It doesn't get that cold here in California, but I am a total wimp about it. I do a several things to stay warm. First, long johns, like Lurin mentioned. If you want them to be super warm, get silk ones. They have the advantage of continuing to insulate even when wet, much like wool does. I cannot say how awesome wool is. I made a bodice and jacket out of wool and trimmed them from sheepskin from an old rug, and they keep my torso pretty toasty. If you don't have issues with fur, old and reused fur is a great way of keeping heat in and looking nice.

Hats and hoods keep in a lot of heat. If you don't want to add too many things to your costume, you can make an enveloping cloak or long hooded coat to wear over everything else. If you line it in something warm, like polar fleece, it'll be both warm and not too expensive to make.

And of course, accessories are great. Wool scarves, gloves/mittens, hats, and legwarmers will keep your extremities from freezing off.

Hope this helps!

A nice cloak can go a long way. You can make a really simple one by just cutting out a large semi-circle of relatively thick fabric - add a hood and some sort of clasp or tie to finish it up. That said, a cloak can get in the way in a fight and it's definitely a spell catcher.

Also, long johns.

KyleSchmelz said:
a cloak can get in the way in a fight
The cloak I bought has arm holes cut in the sides and hemmed. They work amazingly well to keep it out of my way when getting into combat.
IMG_0507.jpeg

-Luke

I have only NPC'd in 'cold weather' (Pacific NW cold is 20-40 & rain).
My PC costume is not baggy enough for anything more than 2 pair of long johns & maybe a few shirts.
I do have a jacket I found (it is worn through in various spots, has stains, but the look for a wolf-wylderkyn is perfect) & may be incorporating my old (1986 bought) East German grey trench coat if it is cold enough to need it (it does not fit enough to be closed, so it would be worn as more of a cloak).

I'm a crocheter, so I often make woolen undergarments (leg warmers, arm warmers, cowls, hats, etc.) and layer them under my usual costuming. I also made a double-layer polar fleece circle cloak, and I stay looking in-period and stay super warm.

So if you know any knitters or crocheters, or are one yourself, invest in some all-wool layers. They do wonders to keep the heat in.

Thank you everyone for the advice! You all gave me a pretty good idea of what to do for my costume, thanks a ton. :)

My girlfriend wears outfits similar to your own. She went out and bought some under armor. Since her legs and arms were exposed, she found some black form-fitting pants and a long-sleeve shirt from UA. I think she also bought grey. Anyway, it didn't look too bad with the outfit and she stayed very warm. She got them at a UA outlet if you have one near. So they weren't too pricey.

psparks44 said:
My girlfriend wears outfits similar to your own. She went out and bought some under armor. Since her legs and arms were exposed, she found some black form-fitting pants and a long-sleeve shirt from UA. I think she also bought grey. Anyway, it didn't look too bad with the outfit and she stayed very warm. She got them at a UA outlet if you have one near. So they weren't too pricey.

This!
I am a UA addict... I love their cold gear :wub2: (and even the heat gear line) - it's AMAZING for under your costume and you aren't likely to trap the sweat in so you won't freeze when you stop moving! I also am a huge fan of wool short cloaks and knee-high wool socks with a wicking under sock :). Fingerless gloves with a pop-over mitten are also handy if you're a caster. I also find the Russell athletic ones they sell at Target work pretty well too :)
:cold:
Also - never underestimate the amazingness that is "hot hands" - I get the foot warmers for my boots, and take the hand ones, put them in a fabric pouch (a sock works well in a pinch - DO NOT leave them directly on your skin, seriously) - and put one in my bra/corset and pin one to the inside back of my pants (pretty much where you'd have a "tramp stamp"). They are easy to remove if you start to over heat and will keep you warm when you are beyond freezing :) :sweat:
(For the back one, you can also use the heat therapy wraps, that self-stick, but they don't last as long and cost 2x as much at least).

I'll second the hand warmers, and highly recommend the 24 hour hot hands. I bought a big box of the 24 hour ones at Cabelas on my way to my first event (over 2 years ago now), we had snow and rain all weekend, but the hand warmers I tossed in my sleeping bag Friday night were still warm when I unpacked Monday.

Ohh yes, the hand warmers sound like a great idea, and exspecially putting them in the costume would work well, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you both very much and I'm pretty sure now I won't freeze to death. I owe you all. :thumbsup:

Believe me, years of experience has taught me how to pack & prepare for events :)
Eventually you'll be imparting your wisdom on new LARPers too :)

Back