Woo hooo!!!!

*dances about*

Hubby is getting orders to Great Lakes, we just need to get the 'official' paperwork that tells us when we can get off this island and back to the Motherland.

Illinois, here we come!!

I can already imagine the seasons and horrid (yet oh so missed) snow storms. Not to mention the LARPing!! Ah... glorious, wonderous LARPing.

Great news, I look forward to meeting you during one of our upcoming trips down to chicago.

Awesome glad to hear it! Can't wait to meet him one of these days. He does realize by committing himself to you he's also committed himself to being pummeled by weirdos in makeup wielding Router-Rooter's Bane, right?

Actually, we made a deal. He has to come to one event. If he decided he does not like LARPing, I will not play anymore but instead be a behind the scenes contributor. If he does like it, then we'll be chapter hopping all over as much as possible. LOL.

He's a little shy about this stuff. One - his career is fast paced and demanding so sometimes weekends are limited. Two - his career looks down on this geeky stuff. Three - he reads rulebooks for fun (Like GURPS and Mech Warrior) but has never, ever actually played table top. Which is quite sad, because he has a fantastic imagination and writes wonderful fiction and roleplays great behind the avatar of an MMORPG. He's just never applied himself to anything like this so it is a little daunting to him.

But I am sure he'll have a blast. He's already met Scott, Dee, Shana, Dennis H., Spare, Will, Luther, Sav and if he can party down with them I am sure he can have a great time playing with the rest of us crazies.

Wilde_Night said:
Two - his career looks down on this geeky stuff.

Be sure to introduce him to our resident military types (active and vet).

Just tell him to use his imagination to concoct stories for where he was all weekend if it will cause a problem! It can be awesome like:

"Where was I? Oh yeah...me and my lady went up to the mountains to play paintball and eat steak! Yeah...guns shoot stuff, am I right guys? High fives!"

It will work out perfectly.

:mrgreen:

Wilde_Night said:

Just depends on who you talk to. May have been a "bad spot" so to speak. I've never had any problems with LARPing anywhere I've been stationed. Get some odd looks, but nothing more than if I collected something random and strange.

Bring him along, we'll have tons of fun!

Telokh_Amdo said:
Wilde_Night said:

Be sure to introduce him to our resident military types (active and vet).

Well, having met the gentleman in question, he's around more of the type-a military types that do look down on it. I tended to keep the LARP involvement pretty quiet when I was in the 82nd. There were enough questions about just playing D&D. I usually get the raised eyebrows during inspections when my bookcase is checked out.

Most of the active duty LARP participants I've played with were either Air Force or Strategic Intelligence, both of which have a much deeper threshold for geekiness. My Dad didn't participate, but many of his coworkers used to play Star Fleet Battles religiously.

Yeah. :( He just made it to the Chief Selectee Board (which would be an E-7 for those in the know) and we are waiting to see if he is picked or not to move up in the ranks. The Navy is a little less tolerant of all kinds of things, especially based on your rating. He's a Fleet Marine Force trained Corpsman, or a Field Doc. Most of these guys are pretty straight laced. He can not even mention he plays MMO's in some of the circles because it could ruin his rep, even though his Senior Chief plays WoW (and he only talks to us about that stuff cause he knows we are gaming dorks too.)

Paintball is a good cover, Justin! I'll have to remember that.

From what I can tell of the pending orders, we are to report no later than mid-January... but that could alter.

Wilde_Night said:
Yeah. :( He just made it to the Chief Selectee Board (which would be an E-7 for those in the know) and we are waiting to see if he is picked or not to move up in the ranks.

Just when I catch up to him, he gets promoted! haha I got my E-6 on Tuesday. Give him my best.

Woo! Congrats Dennis! Heh... his promotion is still up in the air. Getting Chief is the hardest of them all because it is based on a test score AND your evals. This is his first time taking it too, so we are kind of in the "Eh, whatever" phase. It would really rock if he was promoted his first time up though. :D

Back