Ye Mystick Artefacts!

I think that sometimes including a bit of history for an item can give characters the hook they need to really delve into understanding and loving an item. You don't have to spill out an entire history or whatever, but just giving something a snippet of info might engage a player enough to realize that it's not just some other thing they picked up. IMO.

When George walks onto the field in New Hampshire, the people who know about the Spikes (all of them shortswords) know that he's got the Midnight Spike when they see his red and black sword. They might not know what it does, or they might have heard the stories. When people see Gary walk out as Galloway with the Sun Spike in his hand, they probably know it's a big deal if they've played the chapter before. (Especially if you've been around when Cerulean was out, aka Samara in dragon makeup.) Same, in the chapter, with Void and Puriel. They are super-powerful Artifacts whose story is pre-established in the history and lore of the land, thanks to the work of the plot team.

Those weapons, in that place, are mythical. Because there isn't an established world history, with established world figures who have done well-known deeds, it's hard to make items that can be recognized Alliance-wide. There isn't a Ghengas Khan, a Roman Empire, a Cleopatra or Shakespeare or Napolean of Fortannis, because super-famous figures and the legends that spawn from them don't spread from place to place unless it's PCs retelling the story, or the uber-rare NPC that mist travels.

I have come across the following artifacts which have mediocre to decent rituals on them, but that also have long in game histories that make them cool. I have listed them in order of notoriety

Kaliburn the Dire Bow
The Bracelet of Flysnot
A Bone Shard (I believe there are five total, but the plotline they're attached to has been dead for a decade)

The bow has played a large role in several plots and has also been the source of controversy and drama.

Ironically Evan I think you've been hit with swords called both Junior and Excalibur

I think swords get named a lot, and the bigger they are (rituals-wise) the more likely they are to get named. Other weapons too, though it seems that occurs to a lesser extent.

Ahh, thank you for bringing back a great memory...

The first time I played NERO it was in Mass, in Ravenholt. I walked in with what would be almost be a cliche' Necromancer's outfit of all black robes, hood and such. But I had a decent pewter sunburst pendant.

I walked into the Mages guild, there was a group or two in the guild already.

They saw the Pendant (and me) and almost all of them BURST into laughter. (NOT great for the ego.) :tears:
They then explained that the very same pendant I had on had been named "Basil". It was the pendant they spirit stored Ford Ivey (as Basil Ravenhurst) into and "Destroy Formal Magick'd" it. They blew up Ford and the Amulet. :whistle:

I was pretty much instantly welcomed into the Mages guild after that...

Whenever I craft a magical weapon I name it. The last weapon I created: Vengeance

As I cast the ritual I weaved in a bit about the difference between justice and vengeance and gave the blade a purpose for being matching the alignment of its bearer. :cool:

It is a matter of rarity.
Since plot will always put out x number of items a game, naming and giving histories to each or even one a game would cheapen when plot does name an item.
Now I think it is cool to do that, or have an item that is very specific to the mod, and is linked to the experience during that mod, those are typically the most memorable items, but over doing this and it gets overlooked. Under doing it and it gets missed. But yes, there is definitely room for named items that are not artifacts, but it needs to be done sparingly, 1-2 times a year I would say, or if you want to do it more as plot member, target different players when you do the story reveal.

I made StormSeeker around 15 years ago when formal magic scrolls where much more limited and pita to get. Lightening Aura use to be elemental damage at the time and Spellstrikes Lightening Storm where actually somewhat good. It had a cloth cover with frilly lightening bolt shapes coming off of it. So people knew and remembered it for some time. At the time it was just 6 rits with the permanence. I had it unspiritlinked until very recently when I transferred 5 more enchantments from another sword I had for 13+ years. Sadly I also started using a Latex rep for it as well. So it is much less noticeable :/

Here is a picture of it. A friend was holding it for the picture. Also there is Polare holding Translater as well from about 10 years ago.

Oldnero2.jpg

Back