Yellowing Tusks

Dom

Scout
has anybody found a good way of doing this with tusks made from white friendly plastic? I was thinking of soaking them in coffee, not hot coffee of course. Not sure how well it will stain though.

I've heard of both coffee and tea being used to "age" fabrics but never tried it with friendly plastic. Worth a shot.

If you have a sample of the material, try scuffing it slightly with a medium grit sandpaper then soaking in tea. that way you get not only the stain but a natural look to it as well instead of just a solid color

Just an update to this, I've been soaking my tusks in tea for the past 2 days and they came out great. Being as they are made of friendly plastic and molded by hand, sanding was not necessary as they are not smooth and have quite a few imperfections that show up quite nicely as cracks in the teeth after soaking. Overall the pearly white of the friendly plastic has faded and they are now tinted with a brownish yellow and all of the cracks and grooves are a nice dark brown as though they are covered in plaque.

I would say this was a success and suggest it to anybody who doesn't like their bright white tusks being whiter than their own teeth :thumbsup:

Back