Race diversity among chapters

tdae

So I was wondering what the race diversity among various chapters are during a typical event. At most chapters I have played at, Elf and human are the most represented, with one exception at NH event where it was High Orc heavy.
I remember when I first began at the HQ chapter there were a lot of Sarr and Barbarians at the time (waaaaay back in 2002!)
At GB there's usually about 3 or so. I know it'll differ from Chapter to chapter tho, and it got me curious.
Ryan

I looked up the prereg list from one of Chicago's events last year and came up with:

11 Humans
7 Wylderkin
4 Elves
3 MWEs
2 Gypsies
2 Biata
2 Hoblings
1 Dryad
1 Dwarf
1 Stone Elf
1 Barbarian

This is based partly on my memory of the PCs' races and at least one of them has had a race change at some point recently, so I may be a little off, but this seems fairly typical of our events. Lots of Humans, lots of Wylderkin. Our events ranged from about 35-50 PCs last year so this was actually one of our smaller events - at our largest event we had a large crew of Sarr and Barbarians come in, but for a typical event we don't have a lot of either race.

I grabbed a SoMN event from last year and did the same thing. This was a non-campaign event on a really cold weekend, so attendance was kinda low for this event.

8 Humans
2 Dryads
2 Biata
1 Gypsy
1 Sarr
1 Dwarf
1 Barbarian
1 High Ogre (me!)

We typically have an Elf or 2 and at least 2-3 Dryads at a normal event at SoMN, but again, lots of humans.

That's a lot of Wylderkin! We usually have one or two, although the closer had about 4 as I recall?
We typically have a lot of elves running around GB from various chapters (xroads,NH,NJ,HQ). Dryads are also fairly popular.
At the Virginia opener in December it was fairly even with no race really outnumbering the other by much (4 humans, and a handful or Biata and Dryads mostly with other races sprinkled in)

Estimates from the average Denver (super rough numbers)

10+ Wylderkin
4-5 dryads
2 regular Elves
5 ish MWE
3-4 Barbarians
2 ish Sarr
1 Hobling... so ronry....
2 ish dwarves
The rest human (Counting only PCs thats... 40 -50+ on average, bodies- all races counted I think?), with the odd rare smattering of other stuff off and on...

Fur on all the couches, really cant do a thing about it.

Last edited:
I've noticed in SoMN that racial "popularity" comes and goes. Wylderkyn and Humans seem to be the most popular at the moment, but I can remember a time when Barbarians and Elves were played a lot more. High Ogres have been almost mythical in the chapter on the PC side (I know of only two PCs ever).

High ogres seem rare in any chapter it seems. I know of 2 that float around the east coast. I'm sure there are a few other alternates around that make occasional appearences.

Barbarian: 1
Biata: 4
Dark Elf: 2
Dryad: 4
Dwarf: 2
Elf: 5
Gypsy: 9
High Ogre: 0
High Orc: 2
Hobling: 2
Human: 12
MWE: 7
Sarr: 1
Stone Elf: 1
Wylderkin: 12

This is roughly typical for Oregon (our January game with Superbowl on Sunday). I know we have 10 raccoonkin players in Seattle, many of us NPC in Oregon. In Seattle we see a lot more Gypsies and Hoblings.

I've noticed in SoMN that racial "popularity" comes and goes. Wylderkyn and Humans seem to be the most popular at the moment, but I can remember a time when Barbarians and Elves were played a lot more. High Ogres have been almost mythical in the chapter on the PC side (I know of only two PCs ever).

If you count alts, I count four High Ogres at SoMN (Thaquib, GRONK, Urt, Violet). We even had two at the same event once, and we're gonna repeat that feat in a couple weeks.

I'd like to see more Stone Elves, personally, but I definitely understand why there aren't a lot of them. I thought really hard about playing a Stone Elf for a while, but after NPCing one for a while I realized that while I can probably pull it off, I don't think I can enjoy it for a full event.

Stone elves are the next rarest race played, and understandably so as you mentioned. We have one that Is a regular at GB and another showed up at the Virginia opener. There is another that has been around a long time at NJ and HQ and one other I know of that was at HQ. a few more here and there over the years.
But barely any High Ogres! Yellow tuskie brothers need to represent!

High ogres seem rare in any chapter it seems. I know of 2 that float around the east coast. I'm sure there are a few other alternates around that make occasional appearences.

Might have something to do with the commonality of undead as an enemy type. Young high ogres in places that have a lot of litches, death knights, and the like tend to get well acquainted with the bag of chance. :p

From experience, I'd say the biggest reason there are few Sarr is that they're essentially Wylderkin only worse. I know I race changed my panther Sarr into a foxkin years ago because limitations of the race weren't worth the makeup time, by comparison.

What surprises me is how few hoblings there are across all chapters.

Well, I used to be a high ogre, then I ticked off a real jerk and caught a spell strike race change to barbarian. A few events later I joined the 10% club.

Playing a high ogre was tough. The requirement to be very straightforward made interactions hard. Maybe some day I'll play anothet h'ogre who is smart, but just doesn't understand metaphor at all... Drax like. It's way down the line, but could be fun.

They're pretty popular around here but mainly used as secondaries.
My friend, Will, started Gebous out as his 3rd PC behind his human and, believe it or not, a High Ogre. Both of whom permed each at 10%. Gebous became his main.
I think he's the only full time hobling these days. But again , plenty of secondaries

Sarr are great for non-waylay, non-blunt using characters. They dont have the double for read/write or read magic like kin do. Looking back at making my character, we should have listened to @Draven and made Sarr. Resist poison would have been way better than both of our kin racials combined :p

But Raccoonkin rock! Hence why there is over 10 in Seattle.

Non waylay, non blunt, non archery, non thrown weapon yet with racial assassinate for some reason. At the time I changed, claws were still dagger length as well, so essentially useless. Who also look down on battle magic, according to the race packet, so pretty much devoid of ranged options entirely.

The same race packet which also includes this wonderful line :

When a female goes into “heat” in the spring, they suffer sever emotional mood swings, with stress setting them off. Females roleplaying this should wear very strong musk of perfume to let other players know that it is mating season. The males find this intoxicating and are obsessed with being near a female in heat.

Of course that may be carryover from the old pre-split packet that's never been edited, as the Sarr packet still inexplicably refers to them as 'Gorbe' in the story example. :p

Edit : Honestly, the more I look at it the more that packet could stand a rewrite to flesh it out and clean it up. No origin story, no real social cues beyond hunting, ferocity, and an offhand mention of being slavers, and as many column inches spent on talking about peppermint and catnip as expanding on the exact wording printed in the rulebook description. Or just roll 'em in as a culture option for catkin, which would be my go-to.

Last edited:
"When a female goes into “heat” in the spring, they suffer sever emotional mood swings, with stress setting them off. Females roleplaying this should wear very strong musk of perfume to let other players know that it is mating season. The males find this intoxicating and are obsessed with being near a female in heat."

*squint*

...Wow, ANOTHER reason to never play sarr.

If you want to know why Sarr have racial assassinate, check out any YouTube video of a large cat ambushing X. It's mesmerizing.

Sure, but then that begs the question of why they can't have waylay, given that it's an extremely common and well-known tactic of mother hunting cats to club prey from ambush, then bring it back to let the cubs practice on it. :D

Back