What's the point of Oak of the Arcane?

Sal Mancuso

Hi there, I play a relatively new celestial scholar just getting into formal magic and high magic, and I was wondering why anyone would purchase Oak of the Arcane? It seems to be way over-costed for what it does, which is basically just turn a staff into a wand. I could see how it would be decent for templars using staffs but is there any real benefit to having it as a scholar?

A pure caster can block effectively with a staff, this allows him to cast wand charges seamlessly while doing so. That said, I've never seen it used as most celestialist seem to be the sword and board type.

Okay that makes sense. Thank you! I was considering getting a staff skill for that purpose but it takes so much high magic to be able to use that that I'd rather just go for other things.
Plus, my understanding of celestial caster tactics suggest that if you're having to block something you're probably doing it wrong.

I used to use it! But, I also had an LCO staff with Wand Rituals on it. The Wand Rituals were only available when the owner had an active Oak of the Arcane effect. It was pretty effective for combat + battle casting, in my opinion. It wasn't so good when I tried to melee back, though.

If you're good at fighting offensively with a staff, it's a natural choice for celestial templars, because staves get extra benefit from profs due to its two-handed nature. The only real downside is the loss of Greater Wand rits.

And the fact that sword and board trumps all other fighting styles, but that is not a topic germane to this discussion.

Last edited:
Long sticks can still be tricky, though. I've never been able to practice against them because so few actually use them.

Staffs are still the most handicapped of the long sticks anyway, since you're stuck with a middle grip and can't thrust.

Staffs are still the most handicapped of the long sticks anyway, since you're stuck with a middle grip and can't thrust.
Good point. Or, in the case of staffs, lack of a point. *rimshot*

I fought at a fighter practice with a staff. Best two handed blunt weapon since it doesn't have the bulbous head, even holding the middle section. Also, Gandolf style is totally a thing.

Back