HQ SEASON CLOSER FAVORITES!

Aggravain

Squire
Owner
NEPA Staff
Please post your favorites and a huge thank you to the staff and players that made this event so great!

So, favorites for this event. Where do I start?

First I would like to thank plot, Donna, Collin, Frank, Dave, Tom, Alex. This event hit me hard. It was one hell of a ride, and it allowed me a pretty epic moment, thank you. I would also like to thank you for working with me after I pulled my black stone, it meant a lot to me. From the challenging battles and epic action. To the joy of the wedding and unification, this event was amazing, thank you for all you have done.

NPC's goodness gracious. If we were cold and wet and exhausted I can only imagine how hard it was for you, and when the going got tough you brought your best. Thank you. The event would not have been as challenging or great had you not put your all into it, thank you.

For everyone who played the Dragons and Wyverns, Kar was rather uncomfortable overwhelmed and stepping on eggshells for a good amount of time. You beautifully portrayed both families torn, and the terror that a draconic fight is to mortals. Thank you.

Those that aided me in the kitchen this gather, I can't thank you enough, I do not think I would have been able to keep my sanity, or my will to continue on, had you not gone the extra step and aided us in the kitchen. Thank you.

Now for the PC side

I guess the best place to start would be with what is still on my mind. I would like to thank everyone that Kar has met, and fought alongside of, for their kindness, and their care. Rarely does one have a moment which clearly defines family and friends, but I had such a moment. As some of you may know, after taking an Obliterate in the first Necro Forge battle I pulled a black stone. I have chosen last life, and appreciate all of the care and emotion that people have put forward. I am truly touched by the amount of people that care about Kar. Thank you.

Irina, thank you for your care and smiles, it broke my heart to see you so crestfallen after such a lovely resurrection story. You accepted your role as my sister with your heart, and gave so much love. I hope we still have many songs to sing, and many things to discuss...like bachelorette parties.

Kailani
,oh sweet sweet cinnamon bun, too good for this world, too pure. Seeing the sadness and regret in your face when you saw me after, as if you were already seeing a ghost made me want to both cover you in blankets and feed you warm things, and also just shake you and yell "I'm Not Dead Yet." Kai will always be Kar's friend, and I still reserve the right to sass and tease you as such, specially about soup.

Vincent
, I didn't get to see you much this gather, but I almost wanted to apologize and buy you a drink after telling you the news. Thank you for standing by my side.

Chulainn
, thank you. I am truly touched by the emotion that you brought out, and that you felt I was important enough in your life to warrant a line of white. Our characters may not interact much, but it was clear how bonded they had become in the little time they had.

Otho
I firmly believe you are the best person to sit with during meals as the conversations are always fantastic, such as your plans for bardic circles. Having you present this gather was a key point in Kar staying ahead of panic, and I thank you. Where some may be a rock to lean on, you are a hand extended, and warmth offered. I can only hope that either you come to visit, or the mists start misbehaving.

Amaranthus... When we started the character relationship we joked about how it could only end badly, and how one of us was going to die and the other would fall apart. I don't think we expected it to happen quite so soon. Thank you Bill for bringing so much depth to what we created. It's going to be rough going forward, since we are now walking on a very sharp razors edge. When you were overwhelmed by the possibility of loosing Kar and I had to put myself in the position of a rock, and hold on to what we stood for, it was heart breaking. So many moments had me on the brink of agreeing and running away, if only to take the pained expression of loss from your face. We stood together when everyone else in our group had either been incapacitated or had fallen, and managed to survive and succeed in bringing freedom to Icen. You shone, showed great strength and determination, even though just before we rifted to that place you had been exhausted and tired, both in emotion, and in strength. I do not think I will ever be able to find a character relationship as meaningful and strong as the one we have built in such a short time. Thank you. Let's try not to die, eh? Also : You Made A Cake. From Scratch. With Strawberry Filling and Butter Cream Icing. In A Barn!

Grim, Simon, and Ulthoc, I have listed you all together because you all brought a key aspect to this gather, and all shared it together. You all understood the situation and helped to get us through it as necessary. From the help, and care from Simon (thank you for letting me borrow the cloak, it really helped), to the advice and urgency to live from Ulthoc, and the understanding of Grim, you all came together and supported Kar and Amaranthus in a time of need. Thank you for your care.

Larien, I can say that I did not expect your face to be one of those I saw upon resurrecting, but to say it was an unwelcome sight would be a lie. your laughter and support, and the care of Familia was something that warmed me. Thank you.

Now for silly things, and plain events.

Charlie, oh goodness Sean. One person I did not expect to see Sunday morning was Charlie, and I now realize that perhaps every morning should start with the sweetest Charnal Person that ever was.

Aisling, and Jebus. You guys are spoiling me. From wine and laughter with Aisling, to Jebus's dancing, and to both of you fighting by my side, especially during the charnal assassin, I have become so accustomed to the Hunt's presence and kindness. I'll miss you guys, visit darn it. Or find a ward for me to hide in forever so I can visit you.

Watching the pot of leftover strawberry filling be licked clean, and hearing "the spoon was in my way"

Explaining that necromancy is bad because then there are no yummy things to eat, and watching as a protective lean developed over the yummy food as Charlie heard this.

Telling Newt that Familia are in-fact made completely of cartilage, and are thus so bendy.

Seeing Icen's disappointed/embarrassed face as Jangidan crashes a royal wedding.

I swear, I will shank whoever tries to hand me a "you are now a part of the obliterate club" pin.

Stripper Cakes, and the mechanics of such.

"Welcome to Icenia", and the faces that angry deer make

Discussing "Kar and Amaranthus's retirement home" and how such would be procured.

Playing the possum game during two mods after I had already found myself on my last life.

The rim roll of the last skull, and the confusion of the Jade Skeleton bringing Kar back up.

Thank you everyone. It was one hell of a ride, and I couldn't imagine it with anyone else.
I'll see you next season.

also F@$% the rain.

The most touching moment was, naturally, the ceremony. Not the one involving the current king and queen. I speak instead of the union between Spidernight Douglas and Murphy. They entered marital bliss over the ancient pomegranate of union.
May their union last eternal.

Thank you all for a great event. Thank you plot and players, thank you Npcs and staff... here we go in no order:

1. When confronting the dragon slythe "helping" Alto....." GET IN HIS *(&(^ FACE ALTO IN HIS FACE!"
2. Simons Fight
3. Spider Knight Douglas and the Members of M.U.D.
4. Herald Tycho
5. Knighting ket
6. Squiring Gwen and the rp after.
7. Talking with Icen
8. Interesting talks with Ballock
9. Larien and her bad assness.
10. " Amarathus the wall of steel" and that &*&*(^& Bucket game...
11. Yelling at people.. grim never does that.
12. Joint rage and cool fury with Ezri.
13. The npcs being effing machines of awesome driven by awesome and producing awesome.
14. the doughnut in the bed and the hand pie.
15. the look on the other Barons faces when Grim gave his opinion of the future Icenian queen
16. Izer and the rp there.
17. getting to play with chulainn again.
18. Bonding with Murphy on the field.
19. Giving elemental blades to everyone...this may sting..
20. Ulthoc's stepping down speach
21. all the promotions and stuff.
22, Did i mention hand pie?

Rather than highlights, I will go with impact moments, still in no order...
Seeing the next batch of Nobles made
Watching my Boys continue to step up into every breach they see
Crossing bridges long looked at
"you can't give me that order"
being a small part of, and witness to the supreme endurance to go through a third battle after two demoralizing conflicts back to back to back.
Time with the kitchen crew

See you all next season. I look forward to the planning.

Hey there, you beautiful people. <3 I can't possibly express enough just how thankful I am for all the hard work everyone puts into this crazy hobby and irreplaceable community. Y'all make life magical, and I appreciate it so much. Collin, Donna, and Kyle especially. Tom and Erika and Mike, too! Really, everyone contributes so much in so many ways. You can't take three steps without bumping into someone who is giving their all to some amazing project for this game. Seriously, do you all see how much we do, the variety of gifts and energies we bring, and what a crazy phenomenon it is to pull this game off? So much comes together. Wow.

All the NPCs who were tireless and tenacious!! The energy and ferocity you folks bought to all the evil lil dragon-lings, despite the cold rain. everything was intense, and everything was played to a T. ESPECIALLY the rock star NPCs who took the lead roles! From costuming to politics to tiny mannerisms that perfectly reflected their nature... And can we please give one more round of applause to Collin Babcock for creating these most beautifully written and well-casted crew of characters?! Developed and revealed expertly over the past 3-5 years... I almost can't believe it. That's almost 100% of my LARP career. Living with these characters and stories. I'm getting emotional, geeze. Collin, thank you. NPCs, thank you. I feel spoiled by such wide-reaching, patient storytelling. Big picture stuff FTW!

Now then. Alda, specifically, has had a lot of ups and downs, both IG and challenges of playing her OOG. But thanks to good, consistent friendship, and mainly the unending hype Erika provides for me, I came in feeling real fresh and genuine with her. Erika, thank you for triple BFFing with me <3.

Meeting Otho, Alexander, and Ian, as well as catching up with Nathan made me feel at home with this characters and was a really great way to start this event. She has such a need to care, outreach, know people, and take her time. Those initial interactions gave her a lot of peace and got the mentality set for me. The more people I can share moments with like that before the drama goes full swing for an event, the better. She gets exhausting to play because she takes such notes and cares about all the details so much... it is the small interactions with people that keep her/me going. <3

Oh, conversations throughout the weekend with Vincent! The difference in pace between these two characters is palpable. I love it. Alda will just listen and nod and be in awe that this is how rashly someone functions. Always good fun!

Izer RP was absurdly perfect, for the reasons listed above to help me get in-character, as well as because of the history the characters share. Thanks to Larien as well, and for a wonderful walk down to the circle while singing.

Backpacking Udo is a GOOD choice!!! He matches her pace and listens to her soooo well. It is just a good blend, and his shield is strong and consistent such that she can keep her awareness for an entire line, work to fill gaps and rotate refits. I adore helping to facilitate that stuff, even if she is meek, insecure, and scared about it IG. Udo did a lot to lessen her battlefield stress, though. Just a great blend. Thanks so much, Todd!

Jade Skeletonnnnnnnn aaaahhhh my feeeeelinnnnngs! Alda is not okay. She has so many beliefs and opinions and ideas, and her heart is so big and open and willing, so WHY MUST HE DO EVERYTHING JUST WRONG ENOUGH TO BE THE WORST MOST FRUSTRATING DUDE EVERRRRR, AHHHHH. She is writing a book. Seriously. Or at least a scholarly essay. Not only to try to share her insight and advocate for reeducation and redemption, but also because she therapeutically HAS TO. She is gonna be eaten alive by all the frustrations and "what if"s, and she has to prove that she maintains consistency and can indeed make choices if GIVEN SOME TIME!! Off-season character development project is a go, here! Thank you, Collin and Tom, for making all that happen.

Thank you, Mike and Erika, for playing Ket and Kai as skelebros and for having the best blend of interpretations for exciting and challenging RP. Dudes. Skelebros 5ever.

Yes, I did hate the cold rain, and I did want nothing more than to sleep in a dry place, but that is not what I will remember about that mod in the spirit realm for Icen. I will remember the desperate feeling and drive, knowing I was tapped but going with potions. I will remember the panic and focus of being the only one up, burning through potions to buy us mere seconds, and being in disbelief when we broke our cauldron. I will remember her internal battle of hope vs. hopelessness as I watched friends die, my sister stuck in a prison, and Amaranthus fight ceaselessly with no end in sight. Those are forever sorts of memories, my friends. What an epic night.

You know, the existence of Charlie was pretty striking and meaningful to Alda. Gave her food for thought and lots of hope. Hanging with him on the porch and then listening to Otho speak about how he is able to deal with and process life's challenges... I loved that whole morning. Alda will always take the opportunity to listen and hear about experiences and reflect on growth. Thank you, Sean and Evan, for providing such fun thoughts for my character!

OH, HEY, MUSIC PARTY TIME. ALWAYS BEST EVER. YES PLEASE MORE DRUMS AND RHYTHM AND SINGING AND DANCING. Nothing resets Alda's ability to cope with painful drama while maintaining ceaseless compassion and interest like a good music session. Always takes her back to the peace before the sleep. Always refreshing. Always a good time. <3

Last edited:
Hey there, you beautiful people. <3 I can't possibly express enough just how thankful I am for all the hard work everyone puts into this crazy hobby and irreplaceable community. Y'all make life magical, and I appreciate it so much. Collin, Donna, and Kyle especially. Tom and Erika and Mike, too! Really, everyone contributes so much in so many ways. You can't take three steps without bumping into someone who is giving their all to some amazing project for this game. Seriously, do you all see how much we do, the variety of gifts and energies we bring, and what a crazy phenomenon it is to pull this game off? So much comes together. Wow.

All the NPCs who were tireless and tenacious!! The energy and ferocity you folks bought to all the evil lil dragon-lings, despite the cold rain. everything was intense, and everything was played to a T. ESPECIALLY the rock star NPCs who took the lead roles! From costuming to politics to tiny mannerisms that perfectly reflected their nature... And can we please give one more round of applause to Collin Babcock for creating these most beautifully written and well-casted crew of characters?! Developed and revealed expertly over the past 3-5 years... I almost can't believe it. That's almost 100% of my LARP career. Living with these characters and stories. I'm getting emotional, geeze. Collin, thank you. NPCs, thank you. I feel spoiled by such wide-reaching, patient storytelling. Big picture stuff FTW!

Now then. Alda, specifically, has had a lot of ups and downs, both IG and challenges of playing her OOG. But thanks to good, consistent friendship, and mainly the unending hype Erika provides for me, I came in feeling real fresh and genuine with her. Erika, thank you for triple BFFing with me <3.

Meeting Otho, Alexander, and Ian, as well as catching up with Nathan made me feel at home with this characters and was a really great way to start this event. She has such a need to care, outreach, know people, and take her time. Those initial interactions gave her a lot of peace and got the mentality set for me. The more people I can share moments with like that before the drama goes full swing for an event, the better. She gets exhausting to play because she takes such notes and cares about all the details so much... it is the small interactions with people that keep her/me going. <3

Oh, conversations throughout the weekend with Vincent! The difference in pace between these two characters is palpable. I love it. Alda will just listen and nod and be in awe that this is how rashly someone functions. Always good fun!

Izer RP was absurdly perfect, for the reasons listed above to help me get in-character, as well as because of the history the characters share. Thanks to Larien as well, and for a wonderful walk down to the circle while singing.

Backpacking Udo is a GOOD choice!!! He matches her pace and listens to her soooo well. It is just a good blend, and his shield is strong and consistent such that she can keep her awareness for an entire line, work to fill gaps and rotate refits. I adore helping to facilitate that stuff, even if she is meek, insecure, and scared about it IG. Udo did a lot to lessen her battlefield stress, though. Just a great blend. Thanks so much, Todd!

Jade Skeletonnnnnnnn aaaahhhh my feeeeelinnnnngs! Alda is not okay. She has so many beliefs and opinions and ideas, and her heart is so big and open and willing, so WHY MUST HE DO EVERYTHING JUST WRONG ENOUGH TO BE THE WORST MOST FRUSTRATING DUDE EVERRRRR, AHHHHH. She is writing a book. Seriously. Or at least a scholarly essay. Not only to try to share her insight and advocate for reeducation and redemption, but also because she therapeutically HAS TO. She is gonna be eaten alive by all the frustrations and "what if"s, and she has to prove that she maintains consistency and can indeed make choices if GIVEN SOME TIME!! Off-season character development project is a go, here! Thank you, Collin and Tom, for making all that happen.

Thank you, Mike and Erika, for playing Ket and Kai as skelebros and for having the best blend of interpretations for exciting and challenging RP. Dudes. Skelebros 5ever.

Yes, I did hate the cold rain, and I did want nothing more than to sleep in a dry place, but that is not what I will remember about that mod in the spirit realm for Icen. I will remember the desperate feeling and drive, knowing I was tapped but going with potions. I will remember the panic and focus of being the only one up, burning through potions to buy us mere seconds, and being in disbelief when we broke our cauldron. I will remember her internal battle of hope vs. hopelessness as I watched friends die, my sister stuck in a prison, and Amaranthus fight ceaselessly with no end in sight. Those are forever sorts of memories, my friends. What an epic night.

You know, the existence of Charlie was pretty striking and meaningful to Alda. Gave her food for thought and lots of hope. Hanging with him on the porch and then listening to Otho speak about how he is able to deal with and process life's challenges... I loved that whole morning. Alda will always take the opportunity to listen and hear about experiences and reflect on growth. Thank you, Sean and Evan, for providing such fun thoughts for my character!

OH, HEY, MUSIC PARTY TIME. ALWAYS BEST EVER. YES PLEASE MORE DRUMS AND RHYTHM AND SINGING AND DANCING. Nothing resets Alda's ability to cope with painful drama while maintaining ceaseless compassion and interest like a good music session. Always takes her back to the peace before the sleep. Always refreshing. Always a good time. <3

Udo would have been dead in no time without you guidance. Thanks for the stellar help lady.

After a week to think about it, here are my favorites in no particular order:

Alex G as Kar. She said it best. We set out to try a dynamic of RP and jokes about how this could only end in disaster and then she ends up on her last life when we are fighting dragons left and right. Bravo to Alex for being an amazing Stone Elf in that situation. Remaining out wordly calm and composed while also showing real fear and pain to my reactions. Amaranthus finally admitted how he feels, finally got over his past...and then to have it repeat right in front of him rocked him to his core. I spent the whole of Saturday night having a massive crisis of faith. What good is a knight who can't protect the woman he loves? What good is fighting evil when there is always another evil around the corner? The despair and fear was real. And then, in the darkest hour, when we have to go to a THIRD fight in the rain, Kar looks me in the eyes and says in her calm Stone Elf voice: "What will you do if they fail because we are not there? We won't have a home to run to." Then we hear the count. One short INCLUDING me and Kar. We have to go. Its that simple. After the fight Kar comes up to me and again calm Stone Elf says "Now what would have happened if we were not there?" That was the moment Amaranthus knew two things beyond all others. That's why he fights and he will love Kar forever.

Planning the retirement home. "I'll buy us a farm. We'll bring Irina to judge the houses."

Ulthoc. One Amaranthus's oldest surviving friends. "Look at him (pointing at me) he's exhausted. He's tapped. He thinks this is a terrible idea. He is STILL gearing up and getting ready to go. That man is worthy of your respect". Also I really liked the passing of the torch speach.

Serious talks with Ezri and Ulthoc about petitioning the Queen for a court appointment and retiring from combat to live out Kar's last years in peace. All the reasons to do it and the support. From Ulthoc's "...because it never ends so you either do it now, or you never do it" to Ezri's "I'm not here to talk you out of it, I'm here to help you set it up".

Irinia and the great bachelorette party misunderstandings. I didn't expect it to happen, I just thought the topic would be funny. "But why is the stripper IN the cake?"

Seriously. That God Damn cake. Forgetting the cakes in my freezer and having to make it on site. The ensuing calamity of errors having to convert all the measurements from weight to volume. Getting to see the final product in time for the wedding.

Reuniting Icenia. My plan, set in motion almost two years ago, coming together for a simple political solution. Icenia is now larger then it has ever been in its history and it is united behind my Queen. Getting to walk Sonia down the isle. I was so amped I nearly messed up announcing Sonia's full name. "Here's to a scrubby sergeant, a rouge running across wet rooftops, and an old farmer who brought a nation together" "To humble beginnings".

It has been a rough but satisfying season. See everyone over the off season and next year. I'm staying on as the Head of Food barring life saying no, so I'll see everyone next year. Thank you so much to my fellow staff members. It's been a blast and seeing all my friends is why I can spend all that time in the kitchen and still have a good time after all these years.

Bill
Head of Food, Alliance Ashbury

I have no specific favorites. The past few years have been a favorite.

There are too many people to thank. Too many people that make this happen. Too many wonderful souls that let us play this crazy hobby, that pour out their love for the game onto paper and then onto a stage. A stage where anything can happen and plans succeed when they are supposed to fail and vice versa. I have busted my knees on rocks, tweaked my arm and shoulder until they scream out in pain, been beaten on in the pouring 2 am rain, inhaled pounds of dust from a fight inside a closed room and without hesitation, would do it all again for these people. I fed off of their passion and love and that's what kept me going into the wee hours of the morning.

Thank you my lovely staff friends and family.

Maybe I'll put some favorites down anyway.

-I love playing Jangidan even if he's just an amalgamation of Kreig quotes and my very gentle grip on reality and sanity.
-I blew up my wifelady. Dammit.
-Jangilangadingdong.
-Zan.
-"You flamey Tyrran bastard"
-Screaming at Wyngarior. Standing with the town and having them AGREE with Jangidan, about Pyatt. HA!
-Kar Assassin.
-Balloch and the bachelor party.
-The Jangidan Vs Slythe screaming matches that happen in monster camp. Both blaming each other for Icen being resurrected.

That's all I've got. I was in a haze of blood and war for most of the weekend. Also, contacts are awesome.

Love all of you.

Haven't done that much larping yet, but I've gotta say that this weekend was probably my best experience with it yet. The harsh elements and high spirits came together in a way that created an unforgettable event.

To the NPCs and staff, thank you. I can't imagine a better group to stand beside and work with. Thanks for making the experience so much fun for me, and thanks for your infinite patience helping me learn the rules of this crazy game.

To the PCs. Holy crap. Every time we went out to fight in the rain, I was sure the cold and the wet would somehow bring down the experience, but every time, there you were, the whole damn town, bringing your A game. Again, and again, and again. No matter what got thrown at you guys, from cold-hardened boffers, to angry dragons, to icy cold rain, you still came out with fierce determination and iron will. Y'all's attitude was inspirational, and it turned what could have been sad wet fights into scenes straight out of a Hollywood blockbuster. Thank you.

"Cool moments" or whatever, in no particular order:
  • The night fights in the rain. Talk about incredible ambiance.
  • The spirit realm fight to free Icen. The PC's will and focus was inspirational. Huge shout out to Amaranthus in that fight for just Not. Giving. Up.
  • Any and all Dragon dialogue. You guys brought so much character into those parts, they were so much fun to watch.
  • The Whole Damn Plot. One of the most rewarding aspects of npcing is the chance to see the plot unfurl, and to understand how all the pieces go together. Seeing first hand how all the little things that the town did, knowing or unknowingly that added up into bigger repercussions. Storytelling doesn't get any more dynamic then this.
  • The Wedding. There was just such a great sense of weight and occasion to it all. Collin, that "Everywhere and always" gave me goosebumps.
  • The sing-along at the reception. There was a quiet magic to a bunch of people making music with no planning.
Thank you everyone for the great time. Can't wait for the next season.

Ok. I know I am checking in a bit late but...

First off. F@&# all dragons and the like. Way to many in one place at one time for Ian. A lot of yoyo this event. I had a blast and a few close calls that almost sent him to the circle.

Plot. You know how to make PCs hate you. Great job and I wish your replacements luck. You will be a tough act to follow.

NPCs. You guys also have that same uncanny ability to make us hate you as well. Frank, I dunno what to say. Just GGrrrrrrr... To all the NPCs that played the dragons. Bravo. All the make-up and just selling it.
To the Crunchies and not so crunchy NPCs, You guys blew me away as always. It was hard as a PC to get out there for those long hours and in that weather to play someone we are invested in. You guys rock it with no care for the character but love of the game and drive of the story line. I was SPENT. Hard combat and great RP.

PCs. You guys rock as well. I must thank you all for helping to make me second season better then my first. A lot of connections in game for Ian that I never thought I would be able to make. You all make it so easy for me to play a character that is way more out going then I can be in a large group setting. I can't wait to see you all next season and to see what Fortannis in store for us.

John (AKA Ian)

Back