[.11] Some help with new damage calls

Tantarus

Knight
I must admit I find some of the new damage calls a bit hard to figure out when you are combining rituals or skills. Here are some questions I have about that.

1) What is the call when someone is swinging and eviscerate, which a enhanced blade active to swing magic and using the ritual raging blow?

2) What is the call when you are using Combined Strike skill as a celestial templar using a level 7 spell for ice damage?

You might be sick of seeing me answer questions already but here I go again. :p

1) Eviscerate changes the damage and carrier of the swing to 500 Body, with Raging Blow allowing you to use the Strike keyword on one swing; Eviscerate should override the Magic carrier of Enhanced Blade, since it specifies the call to use it is "500 Body"; all of that together tells me the call would be "500 Weapon Strike Body".

2) Combined Strike uses "20 Weapon Strike Healing" as an example of a character using a 4th-Level Earth spell, so it follows that the call for a 7th-Level Evocation spell would be "35 Weapon Strike Ice".

For the first example, what if someone needs magic to affect it? How do you have the magic carrier in there? Does that mean you cant eviscerate needs magic to affect creatures? That cant be right.

Hrm So you cant use spell shields against combined strikes? Didnt realize that.

To the best of my knowledge, there really wouldn't ever be a scenario in which Magic would work but Body would not; I've flipped through an updated monster database, and I don't recall any creature being immune to Body, and all creatures only being able to be hurt by Magic (or one single other carrier) specifying that they also take damage from the Body carrier. Short of your Plot team making that call, I don't see "500 Body" failing to affect any creature by default (though it may have a defense against it).

Not Spell Shield, but Weapon Shield would block it. You could also call Cloak and negate the entire swing if you had a Cloak Evocation.

For the first example, what if someone needs magic to affect it? How do you have the magic carrier in there? Does that mean you cant eviscerate needs magic to affect creatures? That cant be right.
With Eviscerate changing (along with the Reaver and Slayer rituals) to swing for Body, if you come into contact with a monster that is immune to Body damage then they are very likely statted incorrectly or the NPC is confused. If they are not, there is likely something being missed on the field to defeat the enemy properly.

With Eviscerate changing (along with the Reaver and Slayer rituals) to swing for Body, if you come into contact with a monster that is immune to Body damage then they are very likely statted incorrectly or the NPC is confused. If they are not, there is likely something being missed on the field to defeat the enemy properly.

I think what Andy’s concerned about are monsters that require Magic to damage. If that’s not a thing, what will the Magic Blade serve?

I would imagine that most of the “magic to hit” monsters would become some version of “immune to normal, silver, etc.”

Well... At risk of being a spoiler, everything in the updated database that can only be damaged by a specific weapon carrier says "Only damaged by X", rather than "Immune to XYZ". In all cases I saw, Body was included in the "Damaged by" category.

A few could only be damaged by Magic and Body, some by only Earth and Body, for example. As noted above, if the NPC is calling No Effect to Body, then either that's a decision made by Plot, or they're doing something wrong.

For the record, there are still plenty of creatures who can only be damaged by the Magic carrier, so it's still going to have use if you don't have the ability to swing for Body.

I really hope there aren’t that many Magic to Hit monsters, as Magic Blade will not really be accessible to biata or oathsworn in 2.0...

I feel your pain.

Damage aura used to, way back in the day (back me up here @Gilwing ) be Celestial only.

That got changed... eventually, due to the prevalence of magic to hit monsters. Hopefully, we won’t have to repeat history in order to learn from it.

I really hope there aren’t that many Magic to Hit monsters, as Magic Blade will not really be accessible to biata or oathsworn in 2.0...

Yeah just like the bad old days. I remember when DA was celestial ritual. I forgot about how annoying that was. I am not a super fan of the change to auras, I dont mind taking the + damage out. But cant we just swing magic or a single element type. That seems fine to me, Just limit weapons to 1 aura or slayer/reaver?

Just make sure to put it in your feedback, I know I will.

I feel your pain.

Damage aura used to, way back in the day (back me up here @Gilwing ) be Celestial only.

That got changed... eventually, due to the prevalence of magic to hit monsters. Hopefully, we won’t have to repeat history in order to learn from it.

Don't forget the pyramid style they needed to be cast in in order to get more than a +1. Crazy how 6 da scrolls and their primaries for a +3.

However, some good news.

Damage Aura is going to drop significantly in value, and as a result, it should be more available for Biata and Oathsworn.

Erin's concern is that Magic Strike is Celestial Only and that strict Biata and Oathsworn role players will avoid this ritual.

She can also take a look at the Monster DB and see. <X> to hit isn't a concept in the 2.0 monster database.

Biata are the only race outright banned from using the Magic Strike ritual. Oathsworn could be, but it is up to the player how restrictive they want to be. In the new Oathsworn packet we explicitly made it clear that Oathsworn do not fear Celestial magic, but they will not cast it themselves. They can sleep behind a ward, or swing for an Elemental carrier after receiving an Elemental Blade from a friend. I mean, hell, they can cast it if they need to, but there are now roleplay consequences for doing so.

Biata, however... yeeeaaahhh...

Last edited:
Biata are the only race outright banned from using the Magic Strike ritual. Oathsworn could be, but it is up to the player how restrictive they want to be. In the new Oathsworn packet we explicitly made it clear that Oathsworn do not fear Celestial magic, but they will not cast it themselves. They can sleep behind a ward, or swing for an Elemental carrier after receiving an Elemental Blade from a friend. I mean, hell, they can cast it if they need to, but there are now roleplay consequences for doing so.

Biata, however... yeeeaaahhh...

So.

Thematically.

35th level C Scholar decides he appreciates the toughness of the Oathsworn, and gets himself Racial Transformed.

He murders anyone who even tells him that he can’t use Star Magic, because, let’s be honest, his character didn’t grow up with that culture and he doesn’t feel innately biased against C Magic.

Sylvanborn have an innate discomfort with...whatever it is that’s supposed to be anti-Command but is really just against freedom stuff.

Idk, sits weird with me.

Technically, the other Oathsworn would either make him take the Oath and get a Spirit Forge ASAP to get rid of the Celestial spells, or they'd kill him. The threat of consequences doesn't come from the Oathsworn who casts Celestial, but from other Oathsworn in the game. No other race is "required" to say or do anything about him, so if there are no other Oathsworn and everyone else was content to let him do his thing, he'd face exactly 0 consequences unless Plot decided it was a violation of the Race and did something in-game about it.

Right, my concern primarily stems from the fact that it’s not a violation of the Race, but rather puts it on other Oathsworn to do something about it.

Which is one thing if there’s enough O with power to do that, but another thing if the “violator” is a highbie with lots of buddies.

That's a problem for the players to work out, then, and hopefully wouldn't come down to a customer service issue.

The rules make no exception to playing your Race, regardless of whether you Racial Transformed into it or not, so while he might get away with it for a while, eventually someone should be stepping in and saying they're not playing their Race correctly and that something would need to change, although how long that would take is up to individual chapters to figure out for themselves.

Back