[.11] Monster Slayer/Healing Strike

Draven

Count
With the Undead change, anyone else notice that Healing Strike has been rendered obsolete for anyone that isn’t Oathsworn/Biata?

How so? Healing Strike will ignore armor.

And Monster Slayer lets you swing for Body at will. So a Monster Slayer <Undead> is effectively a Healing Strike that isn't limited by 10 minutes.

It's reliant on you having the magic item though. Healing aura comes from skill that can be generated over any weapon you use. Or if you have High Magic you can swing it all day. That said while clearly the first enemy healing aura is for is undead they are not the only chaos enemy out there that can be affected by it.

No question though that it removes the need for a Spellsword to generate an aura if they have a weapon with undead slayer on it. I just don't see it as a big deal.

EDIT: to clarify I don't think that is ideal, but it isn't much of a big deal to me. This is in the same logic to me that the spell strike skill Empowered Strike is completely replaced by Warrior's Incantation. As in there is no point in taking the skill if you can even sometimes have access to that ritual on a weapon because of how much better it is.

Edit #2 you meant the ritual Healing Strike. Yes, agree, rendered moot if your have the chance to Haven one or the other there’s is little point in getting the healing ritual.

Last edited:
EDIT: to clarify I don't think that is ideal, but it isn't much of a big deal to me. This is in the same logic to me that the spell strike skill Empowered Strike is completely replaced by Warrior's Incantation. As in there is no point in taking the skill if you can even sometimes have access to that ritual on a weapon because of how much better it is.

Warrior's incant is far better then the skill. You can do 9ths easily. To do that with Empowered strike you need to be like level 45.

Honestly I think that all the auras should be always on but limited to 1 aura/slayer/reaver to a weapon. I dont see a real issue with always on if they dont add damage.

Also Can earth have Slayer please. Before you could stack earth aura and undead slayer, I can see why not to allow that on the same ritual set. But now that is not an issue.

The edge that Earth has against undead has been made specifically into the ability to ignore their armor, giving Celestial the ability to do this muddles what should be a great bastion for Earth magic.

Its an easy fix: remove undead as a possible type for Monster Slayer.

Giving Monster Slayer to Earth muddles it the other way.

Let's get rid of monster slayer (and race reaver for parody). They're the only rituals in the game that where the player using them has to make an assumption. I hate that so much.
It was removed in playtests of yore, but they have been added back in due to feedback. I, too, hate the idea of having to ask "does X Slayer work on you?" or whatever.

I still don't understand why the carrier for a slayer / reaver isn't the name of the creature / race it kills (maybe with the word slayer or reaver after).

5 Elf Reaver
10 Orc Slayer
15 Plant Slayer

The NPC would know if it affected them or not, without any assumptions on the player's end.

-MS

Probably because that verbal would be utterly annoying during actual combat.

As someone who had a weapon that dealt 13 Lightning for a season, I think players can handle it.

-MS

That’s literally irrelevant, man.

So, him having a weapon with a damage call that he felt should have been annoying but wasn’t, isn’t relevant to the discussion of whether certain damage calls might be too annoying to have in combat?

Maybe you’ve got something going on outside of here, or maybe I do and I’m not aware of it, but you are not coming off in a fashion where you are pleasant to engage in discourse with.

If it’s unintentional, cool, but check your verbiage before you post.

Constant dismissiveness tends to annoy me. I’ll try to tone it down a bit.

Yes, it’s irrelevant. The existence of a two-syllable elemental carrier in combination of long-syllable numbers doesn’t justify the creation of new carriers that start at a minimum of 3 syllables.

I don’t think he was being any more dismissive than you were.

As to your actual point: I disagree, but not dismissively. Apparently, so does Mike.

The specialty call starts creating more complicated situations in game, and a call getting any longer than the norm gums up combat. (I know from other games)

Edit: Let me qualify that much more politely: it has been an experience I have found to be an issue in combat. It can't be mathematically proven but I believe this is very often the case.

Out of game guessing or trying to use a slayer to “find out” what the creature is causes problems both in and out of game. Slayer is a cool idea but often isn’t practical. I too wish it simply was removed.

Last edited:
Back