[.11] Bonus Armor Points

Feldor

Adept
In the 1.3 rulebook it says:
"Some bonuses can confer more than one additional Armor Point, but the total Bonus Points that may be earned cannot exceed six."

The ARB 2 notes that the cap of maximum of 40 armor points has been removed. It has added getting 1 bonus point per location (8 locations) for real materials. It also has in the crafting chart for armor, values going up to 62. To get to 62, you'd need to get 14 bonus points of armor.

It is likely that rule needs to be updated to be "total Bonus Points that may be earned cannot exceed fourteen" -- or perhaps just removed entirely.

Updated as I misread the bonuses part!

Plate (or 4pts worth of layers) per location: 48 armor (needs the 14 you mentioned to hit max)
Genre/Mastercrafted: +5 ...though DNNN says 6. I need to look this one up and can't at work.
Per-location bonuses as written: 1 per location = 8 from bonuses
Total available with no changes to text as I read it: 61-62pt

Yup, there's potentially a problem there...61 max instead of 62, depending on genre/MC bonus.

Last edited:
Per location bonuses are not doubled. It should be:
Up to 48 for armor
2-6 for genre/mastercraft
8 for real material bonuses=up to 62 points of armour.

Ah, I misread the convoluted text. They used leather as an example for the bonus, which looked like +2 from bonus when it was +2 from the leather itself. I'll correct my original text.

Per location bonuses are not doubled. It should be:
Up to 48 for armor
2-6 for genre/mastercraft
8 for real material bonuses=up to 62 points of armour.

That is my exact point. The bonus points for genre/mastercraft & real material bonuses need to be able to stack -- but the current 1.3 rulebook says the maximum bonus points you can get from all sources is 6. Its clear they intend to allow real material bonuses to take you over that total of 6.

Yes that is why it is in the playtest document because it is changing. The 1.3 armor rules no longer apply. From most recent playtest document .11b.
“Most other parts of the system remain as they are today – head and torso locations are still doubled in value, bonuses may be given for Master Crafted and In Genre, the same 8 locations exist as before, etc. Note that there is one further bonus which can be given: Actual material (such as metal for 3 or 4 point location armor or real leather for 1 or 2 point per location armor) gives an additional bonus of +1 point per location. Note that all bonus points are applied after the rest of the evaluation is done, meaning it does not double for head and torso locations.”

I'm agreeing with Feldor on this one, that when it goes live it needs to be clearly stated in the 2.0 ARB that the total number of bonus points possible is 14; as far as the next playtest packet update is concerned (if there is one), there should probably be a line in the armor section specifically noting this change for clarity's sake, but otherwise I don't think it's strictly necessary (mostly because it's impossible to hit the maximum listed 62 Armor without those additional 8 points, and I trust people to make that particular inference without much hassle).

Back