Is "Healed" a Defense?

jwconvery

Spellsword
It's not really a Guard or Resist, since it isn't 'spent'

Looking the interaction with the new signature spell meditation change.

"When a Signature Spell is cast from memory (meaning not from a Magic Item or the Flexible Casting skill, and not used via another skill such as Magistarium Strike), if it hits a target but triggers a Guard, Return, or No Effect defense, the spell may be subsequently Meditated back as though it had missed. "

Healed feels like a no effect type call, but it's really isn't.

Thanks

Joe

Right, I figured it wouldn't work with Healing/Necromancy since you don't call Healed to those.

NPCs can kinda heal to full outside of combat whenever they want. Are there non-LCO ways for PCs to be healed by non-standard effects?

-Joe

Last edited:
"Healed" has been used as an LCO verbal out here on the west coast for a while. It is just a quality of life verbal used when a non-standard healing effect heals a target, the "Healed" call does nothing in-and-of itself and has no effect or qualifier.

Example: You are an NPC playing a golem construct who is healed by Prison. A wily PC gets in close to pops you with a Prison. Instead of saying "got it" and then requiring the player to ask, "were you healed by that?" you would just say "Healed". This is to represent that the player could see that your body has started knitting back together when struck by the prison instead of the normal Prison effect happening.

A player should never call "healed" when healed by either healing or necromancy, as those are standard healing effects. They should only called Healed when healed by something that normally does not heal.

Elementals are typically healed by their own element, and they are decidedly not LCO but would still have to call "Healed" if, say, a Flame elemental was struck by a flamebolt. While I am sure there are other examples out there, it is important to note that the "take an X effect as Y instead" is very common for building monsters.

"Healed" has been used as an LCO verbal out here on the west coast for a while. It is just a quality of life verbal used when a non-standard healing effect heals a target, the "Healed" call does nothing in-and-of itself and has no effect or qualifier.

Example: You are an NPC playing a golem construct who is healed by Prison. A wily PC gets in close to pops you with a Prison. Instead of saying "got it" and then requiring the player to ask, "were you healed by that?" you would just say "Healed". This is to represent that the player could see that your body has started knitting back together when struck by the prison instead of the normal Prison effect happening.

A player should never call "healed" when healed by either healing or necromancy, as those are standard healing effects. They should only called Healed when healed by something that normally does not heal.

Elementals are typically healed by their own element, and they are decidedly not LCO but would still have to call "Healed" if, say, a Flame elemental was struck by a flamebolt. While I am sure there are other examples out there, it is important to note that the "take an X effect as Y instead" is very common for building monsters.

I understand healed, we also used it in the midwest. I was specifically asking about the new signature spell ruling that allows a signature spell to always be mediated back, even when a defense is called.
If a monster is "no Effect" to flame and I hit him with a flame bolt, I can meditate that back.
If a monster is healed by flame and I hit him with a flame bolt I cannot meditate that back. I feel this is an error.

Polare's reasoning is because that would allow infinite healing from one memorized spell. I don't see that is an issue, since infinite healing is only really a problem if allowed for PCs and Healed is not called on things that heal PCs, without LCO situations.
I would rather let the LCO situations handle themselves and keep the base rules consistent.

-Joe

If a monster is healed by flame and I hit him with a flame bolt I cannot meditate that back. I feel this is an error.

Polare's reasoning is because that would allow infinite healing from one memorized spell. I don't see that is an issue, since infinite healing is only really a problem if allowed for PCs and Healed is not called on things that heal PCs, without LCO situations.

I can definitively say that this is entirely on purpose and was thoroughly discussed :) Healed is not a defense, just an informative call. It does not qualify for the "can memorize it back if it triggers a defense" case.

PCs might not themselves be Healed from odd effects, but they can certainly utilize it. Construct and Summon X Ritual Scrolls are accessible to PCs and allow healing via Signature Spells. Infinite healing of tools such as summoned Elementals and Golems with no resources expended is well outside of the realm of expected PC access.

You will note that there is one - and only one - "infinite healing" ability in the base rulebook outside of Monster Abilities, and that is Corrupt. Necromancy is - and should be - the most powerful in this area.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

I had not considered the summon golems aspect. I don't agree with the ruling but I understand why you guys made it.

Thanks for the clarification.

Back