Earth Spellswords

Draven

Count
Are amazing.

Oh man.

I'm seeing a lot of good stuff there. I'm not sure if Scout is still a trap option, but the toolset is much bigger as well.

All in all, a lot of hard work went into this and it looks exciting.

Yeah all the classes have appeal. It is great.

As a earth templar for the last 10 years or so. I think that I am going fighter with rogue splash for dodge or two.

It is nice that the always on healing aura is actually good for a templar now.

Are amazing.

Oh man.

I need to have a better look at the rules, but what makes them so much better now compared to the last packet?

The drop in Purifying Strike cost from 4 to 3 is great, as was the drop in High Magic costs. For 15 XP, a Spellsword can get Earth Channel every day, making it, IMO, the true Spellsword capstone.

I was just thinking how both school spellswords are good relative to fighter now. When I started playing in Ashbury in the 90s, the big characters were around level 20. The biggest fighter swung for 12, next biggest swung 10. I wanted to be the guy swinging 12s. Meanwhile, the big templars would swing 5 and have a 4 column.

Fast forward 20 years and 300+ build. Swinging for 12 all day is not an attractive option. I can barely hit 10s. But swing for 5 and 4 block leaves me a ton of build to play with.

I was just thinking how both school spellswords are good relative to fighter now. When I started playing in Ashbury in the 90s, the big characters were around level 20. The biggest fighter swung for 12, next biggest swung 10. I wanted to be the guy swinging 12s. Meanwhile, the big templars would swing 5 and have a 4 column.

Fast forward 20 years and 300+ build. Swinging for 12 all day is not an attractive option. I can barely hit 10s. But swing for 5 and 4 block leaves me a ton of build to play with.

Man does that last paragraph resonate with me. Even at 346 XP, I couldn’t justify spending the extra 135 XP to bring myself from swinging 5s to 10s. I did invest in 10 CAs, though. For 30 XP, I can swing 10s for twenty minutes a day, allowing me to pretend to be a bigger fighter. It’s helped me chew down numbers in a pinch without otherwise expending a ton of per-days.

I don’t have a full 4 column yet, only two 9ths. That lets me Spell Store one Life onto an item my team knows about so that I can get Lifed, and a second one that I can put onto a teammate’s Memory Strike. Then I Recharge one back. Works out pretty well.

I definitey think the Spellsword game is about budgeting your XP for where you want to land on the spectrum of Martial to Caster. It’s really fun to theorycraft, and with the HM change, I’m so stoked.

Back