Chicago Chapter Dark Elf Language Question

Heya everyone!

I’ve always wanted to run a Dark Elf character for Alliance, and have been slowly building a kit during quarantine, however, I’m also a bit of a language nerd and was curious if there was an agreed upon conlang the Chicago community uses to represent Dark Elven IC.

I figure it’d be in the Quenya or Sindarin camps, but just wanted to check.

Japanese has been used in the past.

Japanese has been used in the past.
Any particular reason for that? Just wanting to get a good footing with the lore and aesthetics. And if it’d be acceptable for the use of Quenya/Sindarin as a stand in.

Mainly I’m just curious on how set in stone the language for the Dark Elves are in the community.

Any particular reason for that? Just wanting to get a good footing with the lore and aesthetics. And if it’d be acceptable for the use of Quenya/Sindarin as a stand in.

Mainly I’m just curious on how set in stone the language for the Dark Elves are in the community.
I'm not aware of anyone using different languages in game in any regular intervals. Japanese is mostly used because it is the most prominent real world inspiration for the costuming and culture of the Dark Elves in Chicago. But since there is a push to distance ourselves from real world cultures this may change.

I'm not aware of anyone using different languages in game in any regular intervals. Japanese is mostly used because it is the most prominent real world inspiration for the costuming and culture of the Dark Elves in Chicago. But since there is a push to distance ourselves from real world cultures this may change.
Glad to know! Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that!

No problem, we have a pretty sizable group of dark elf players that I'm sure will help you get up to speed with the culture. I'm one by association so I'm glad to answer questions in the future.

No problem, we have a pretty sizable group of dark elf players that I'm sure will help you get up to speed with the culture. I'm one by association so I'm glad to answer questions in the future.
Thank you so much! I’ll keep it in mind, a lot of the current character sketch is being kept fast and loose so if I don’t vibe too well with a certain racial aesthetic I can just shift the identity to one I do. But again, thanks!

Thank you so much! I’ll keep it in mind, a lot of the current character sketch is being kept fast and loose so if I don’t vibe too well with a certain racial aesthetic I can just shift the identity to one I do. But again, thanks!
Hi Hi,

I reached out to our new player representative and they will be in touch. The Dark Elves in Chicago culturally are based in real world Asian cultures. Be it East Asian or as far West as India. For language we have used Japanese, Korean and Mandarin. Currently the Plot Team is working on all the race packets to flush out additional detail and bring them up to the current in game time line.

If you have any questions you can reach out to me or Ashe Y ( Ailisi Suli on the forums).

Amanda F.

Back