School assignment-help needed:When/how did you become interested in larp?

anne.slot

My name is Anne Slot and I am a second year student at the Fontys in Eindhoven.

Very often during my study it is about communicating a message. Your target audience is very important. For the course 'research' I have to do research on a group of people with the same interest/passion in order to map out what this group of people have in common. I chose larp myself.

You would help me a lot if you would answer my main question:
When and how did you become interested in larp?

Thank you very much!

Screw it.
I was a young man in the late 90s who was playing dnd. One of the folks i was playing regularly with talked about his experience playing minds eye theater. I was interested in the mechanics and dnd was starting to bore me so i checked it out. Had fun and played for a while.

Hello Anne! Great topic and it'll be unique to most.

I heard from one of my D&D buddies about this thing called NERO in 1993. I lived in DFW (Texas) and decided to go out to their first event and observe. (Jan 1994), I played my first event in February with my team of 4. The system was easy to understand and we were all beginners so it was a simple transition.

Screw it.
I was a young man in the late 90s who was playing dnd. One of the folks i was playing regularly with talked about his experience playing minds eye theater. I was interested in the mechanics and dnd was starting to bore me so i checked it out. Had fun and played for a while.
Thank you so much for your answer!

Hello Anne! Great topic and it'll be unique to most.

I heard from one of my D&D buddies about this thing called NERO in 1993. I lived in DFW (Texas) and decided to go out to their first event and observe. (Jan 1994), I played my first event in February with my team of 4. The system was easy to understand and we were all beginners so it was a simple transition.
Thank you for answering my question! :) It really helps me

I just recently started. I joined LARP after playing D&D for about 20 years with a group of friends. My now wife started with an ex of hers, but loved it and kept at it after they ended their relationship. This season was the first that we could play together so we went out in July to give it a go.

I just recently started. I joined LARP after playing D&D for about 20 years with a group of friends. My now wife started with an ex of hers, but loved it and kept at it after they ended their relationship. This season was the first that we could play together so we went out in July to give it a go.
Thank you for answering my question

Hi Anne.

In 2013 a friend of mine told me about a new game that was supposed to be coming to the area I lived in at the time called Dystopia Rising. It sounded like a blast, and I quickly made a character and read into it learning as much as I could. In 2014 the game had failed to start up in my area. So I looked around for other larps and found one in Minnesota, a 4 hour drive from where I lived at the time. So I drove up to a game in February in Minnesota for my first taste and have been playing ever since.

I played D&D and other tabletop RPGs throughout high school (95-99), and was also active in Scouting at the time. An older former scout from my troop was active in the "NERO-Alliance Rochester" chapter from before we were called just Alliance, and helped arrange a recruitment activity at one of our troop meetings. I believe that chapter was registered as a BSA Explorer Post at the time, hence the link.

I played from probably 2000-2002 until I moved away for school, and then didn't play for many years because I was a broke student and unnecessary travel was impossible, not to mention the scheduling issues. I think I was only able to attend a couple events from 2003-2004.

But those limitations don't last forever, and at the end of 2017 I decided to get back into the hobby. I asked my tabletop group at the time if anyone else was interested in playing with me, and only one person (another former LARPer) expressed interest, but she and I have been going to events as much as we're able to since then. We've played together at two chapters so far, and are looking into checking out a third, and we've met a lot of great people along the way.

Back