Merchant

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
I feel that each rank should also increase the amount you can merchant at a time.

Rank 1– 500cp
Rank 2–1000cp
Rank 3– 1500cp

Or just double the limit per purchase. Ive always merchanted for way more than 500cp and it just doesnt seem like a lot.

I would love to see the overall cost of merchant to go down as right now it's an insane cost for any crafter that doesn't want to be a rogue or artisan. Example being a blacksmith fighter would need to spend almost 30 xp to get all 3 ranks of merchant making them spend almost 90xp to be on par with artisans or rogues in crafting

I equally agree, particularly as a Scholar player.

Because Crafts directly tie into Class XP - every class is encouraged to buy crafts as an easy way to increase their total xp not to mention round out the character to be more than just class skills. This has a universal encouragement - and with merchant having a direct tie to both buying/selling adventuring gear but monumentally important for CM. Yet Fighters, who are predominately Smiths - spend 30xp to get more use from that Smithing. Brewing and Inscription, which simply has a Scholar requirement - equally pays 30 xp. However Scounts pay less, and Rogues as cheap as Artisans.

From my perspective, something that is universally encouraged with intertwining interdependant skills... should be a flat xp cost across the board. Without it... Sylvan Rogue/Alchmyst/Merchant 2/Professions 10 - is just simply the "best" xp Build for both combat and crafting. Hands down - nothing else competes with it. Despite that Fighter/Smith/Merchant 2/Professions 10 (or Scholar/Brew/M 2/ P10) - should hold equal value and importance... because that was seemingly the method/reason crafts were tied to classes in 2.0's xp progression.

An alternative concept (adding my idea and the above idea)
M1 - Sell 500c
M2 - Earn 3 CM
M3 - Sell +500c, purchase upto 7cm, 1s/ea
M4 - The Adventuring equipment thing currently written (which I think should be reduced to 2s/cp, but maybe just me)
M5 - Sell +500c (maybe add more purchaseable cm, but at 2 or 3s/ea)

All Classes 2xp per level, Artisan 1xp per level

For me, as a 4column, Inscription x20 Scholar who is invested in various crafting/merchant things across multiple chapters. I would sell back a 9th level spell just to get the xp needed for this version of merchant. Its impactful & meaningful where I can honestly say having 5th level merchant is more important than being able to prison a 4th time. with an incentive of not being xp cost prohibitive. Whereas currently written - I don't know a single player who will be willing to pay 15xp for a skill which gives you the privilege to drastically overpay for adventuring equipment, you could barter IG to trade your wares with another player of the craft you need/want.

I feel that each rank should also increase the amount you can merchant at a time.

Rank 1– 500cp
Rank 2–1000cp
Rank 3– 1500cp

Or just double the limit per purchase. Ive always merchanted for way more than 500cp and it just doesnt seem like a lot.
This was an option that ARC has discussed. At this point it is an open question, and we want to get some feedback on it and see how it plays as is.

I would love to see the overall cost of merchant to go down as right now it's an insane cost for any crafter that doesn't want to be a rogue or artisan. Example being a blacksmith fighter would need to spend almost 30 xp to get all 3 ranks of merchant making them spend almost 90xp to be on par with artisans or rogues in crafting
The merchant costing is also an open question. We looked a several different costing paradigms during our Merchant discussions and settled on this one for a couple different reasons, and again are looking for feedback and data on how it plays out.

I equally agree, particularly as a Scholar player.

Because Crafts directly tie into Class XP - every class is encouraged to buy crafts as an easy way to increase their total xp not to mention round out the character to be more than just class skills. This has a universal encouragement - and with merchant having a direct tie to both buying/selling adventuring gear but monumentally important for CM. Yet Fighters, who are predominately Smiths - spend 30xp to get more use from that Smithing. Brewing and Inscription, which simply has a Scholar requirement - equally pays 30 xp. However Scounts pay less, and Rogues as cheap as Artisans.

From my perspective, something that is universally encouraged with intertwining interdependant skills... should be a flat xp cost across the board. Without it... Sylvan Rogue/Alchmyst/Merchant 2/Professions 10 - is just simply the "best" xp Build for both combat and crafting. Hands down - nothing else competes with it. Despite that Fighter/Smith/Merchant 2/Professions 10 (or Scholar/Brew/M 2/ P10) - should hold equal value and importance... because that was seemingly the method/reason crafts were tied to classes in 2.0's xp progression.

An alternative concept (adding my idea and the above idea)
M1 - Sell 500c
M2 - Earn 3 CM
M3 - Sell +500c, purchase upto 7cm, 1s/ea
M4 - The Adventuring equipment thing currently written (which I think should be reduced to 2s/cp, but maybe just me)
M5 - Sell +500c (maybe add more purchaseable cm, but at 2 or 3s/ea)

All Classes 2xp per level, Artisan 1xp per level

For me, as a 4column, Inscription x20 Scholar who is invested in various crafting/merchant things across multiple chapters. I would sell back a 9th level spell just to get the xp needed for this version of merchant. Its impactful & meaningful where I can honestly say having 5th level merchant is more important than being able to prison a 4th time. with an incentive of not being xp cost prohibitive. Whereas currently written - I don't know a single player who will be willing to pay 15xp for a skill which gives you the privilege to drastically overpay for adventuring equipment, you could barter IG to trade your wares with another player of the craft you need/want.
Merchant is an excellent way to get coin out of production treasure that you don't want/need, but coin, beyond its use in the Merchant 2 ability, is not tremendously directly useful in furthering crafting.

If your objective is to turn that treasure into Crafting Materials, you are most likely better served by either picking up Profession skills (and getting CM) or by purchasing the Recycle ability in General Crafting Abilities (and turning in unwanted treasure for CM).

In regards to Merchant xp costing and the cost ratio for the third tier ability, it is something we are actively looking at. I don't expect that the skill will become more complicated than it is. It is already complicated for a secondary tier skill that is not a primary xp path.

I'm going to refrain from commenting on the "best xp path" portion of your message beyond a statement that oftentimes, the best xp path is going to vary based on player abilities and goals.

I do agree that in almost all circumstances, everyone would be better off spending the xp to buy the Merchant skill you laid out above using your proposed cost paradigm, but the object is not to create a game where everyone purchases the Merchant skill.

Thanks very much for the feedback! I appreciate the thought and effort that went into it!

Question,

If I sell an 8 CP item with the Merchant skill, how much am I getting back?

Question,

If I sell an 8 CP item with the Merchant skill, how much am I getting back?
This is an open question that ARC is still discussing.

Back