Revert the sylvanborn change?

Feldor

Adept
I'm not a fan of the sylvanborn change. I feel like it goes against the feel of the race.

A bit I feel like learning lots of crafts are what sylvanborn are about. They aren't deep educated scholars, they are woodsy folk with to many hobbies and tend to get distracted and focused on them rather than the useful skills of an adventurer.

From a meta perspective, sylvanborn used to be the race you took when you wanted to opt in to more RP and less combat effectiveness. You were required to spend a portion of your XP on crafting skills and not combat skills, and thus it became the race that folks who were not as in to mix/max builds would go to find others who were similarly more RP focused. The rules did some useful signaling here.

And from my personal point of view, my character of 15+ years suddenly has a tax of ~15xp I need to pay to keep playing him consistent with how I've played him in the past. Specifically, a chunk of the RP I've done around my character has been him being a bit of jack of all trades master of none -- where I've have 12+ different craftsman skills at 1 rank. Basically each time plot had us do a thing to help some non-adventurer folks, my main would spend his BGA's hanging back & helping & learning a bit about different crafts or lores they knew so as to be able to better help in the future.

So I'd like to suggest reverting the sylvanborn change. Let them keep being the race with to many non-combat crafts skills.

As this was an Owner requested/initiated change that was incorporated into the 2.1 Beta, I would direct you to the suggestion box (https://alliancelarp.com/forum/forums/suggestion-box.498/) for more direct/visible communication with the Chapter Owners to voice your concerns.

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of the sylvanborn change. I feel like it goes against the feel of the race.

A bit I feel like learning lots of crafts are what sylvanborn are about. They aren't deep educated scholars, they are woodsy folk with to many hobbies and tend to get distracted and focused on them rather than the useful skills of an adventurer.

From a meta perspective, sylvanborn used to be the race you took when you wanted to opt in to more RP and less combat effectiveness. You were required to spend a portion of your XP on crafting skills and not combat skills, and thus it became the race that folks who were not as in to mix/max builds would go to find others who were similarly more RP focused. The rules did some useful signaling here.

And from my personal point of view, my character of 15+ years suddenly has a tax of ~15xp I need to pay to keep playing him consistent with how I've played him in the past. Specifically, a chunk of the RP I've done around my character has been him being a bit of jack of all trades master of none -- where I've have 12+ different craftsman skills at 1 rank. Basically each time plot had us do a thing to help some non-adventurer folks, my main would spend his BGA's hanging back & helping & learning a bit about different crafts or lores they knew so as to be able to better help in the future.

So I'd like to suggest reverting the sylvanborn change. Let them keep being the race with to many non-combat crafts skills.
I will be sending a suggestion to the above mentioned link later today, but I couldn't agree with you more. The change in discounted skill takes away the very thing that make a Slyvanborn what they are. I don't have a single skill that hasn't been used at some point in game for roleplay. I would happily give up receiving coin at check in to not have to decide how to remove 33 xp from my build when 2.1 hits and change who my character is on a fundamental level.

Back