Confused returning player.

Vontri

I've been away from Alliance for a while (Back when Barbarian and Templar were a thing) and was thinking of coming back giving it all a shot again and I'm a bit confused at some things.

1.) The dates of the events. On the website they mention 2 and 3 day events but on the forums they are listed and 2 and 1 day events.
2.) I looked on the CMA and saw that my characters still existed but they are blank builds. (I'm assuming they got a rewrite as the rules seemed to gone through updates) If that is the case would I be playing the same character just trying to update them to the current rules to the best of my abilities, or would I make a knew character with the old experience (Or do I get to choose?)

Good Morning and welcome back.

At this point in time, due to limitations of the new site that is being constructed, we are only hosting one day events. Much of our season was originally planned as 2 day events, and they have been downgraded until we can host players overnight. Our 2 day events run from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon, three calendar dates, but are comprised of only 2 logistics periods. We have not "downgraded" our Halloween event as we are very sure we will have camping spaces available sooner then that event.

Your are correct that you get to choose how to re-develop those characters. They should be more or less blank slates as it sounds like you last played prior to the roll out of the 2.0 version of the ruleset.

Thank you. I was looking through the new rules to see some things have have changed. I found some other questions. I don't see any way for Biata/Stone Elves to get their mental abilities? Are they removed or how does that work now?

2.) I looked on the CMA and saw that my characters still existed but they are blank builds. (I'm assuming they got a rewrite as the rules seemed to gone through updates) If that is the case would I be playing the same character just trying to update them to the current rules to the best of my abilities, or would I make a knew character with the old experience (Or do I get to choose?)

Your are correct that you get to choose how to re-develop those characters. They should be more or less blank slates as it sounds like you last played prior to the roll out of the 2.0 version of the ruleset.

Hello @Vontri you get to respend your characters XP (formerly known as Build). You can also change your characters race and class. Any deaths, items, coins, etc. stay with that character as well as any history, ig actions, good deeds, nefarious ones abd your name as well.

If you want to start over you can retire your character for half xp (rounded down) and half deaths (rounded up).

Also if you have any old magic items they will need to be converted to create new ones depending on what they were as some 1.3 rituals were either changed or removed.

. I don't see any way for Biata/Stone Elves to get their mental abilities? Are they removed or how does that work now?
Hello, and welcome back!

The NH events are 2.1 playtests this year, and the first page of the 2.1 beta packet has this to say about biata and stone elves:

"Biata
Advantages: Biata can buy the skills Break Command and Resist Command. Biata reduce the cost of Brewing by 1.
Biata have access to role-play only Mental Abilities.
Disadvantages: Biata pay double for Read Magic and experience psychic noise while in contact with or within a
persistent Celestial effect. For the purposes of determining an individual Biata’s access to Mental Abilities, their Racial XP
expenditure is reduced by 1 for every 15 XP (rounded up) spent on Celestial skills, including Celestial Channeling,
Celestial High Magic, Celestial Spell Slots, Dispelling Strike, Inscription, and Read Magic.
Level Requirements are removed for Biata Mental Abilities.

Stone Elf
Advantages: Stone Elves can buy the skills Break Command and Resist Command. Stone Elves reduce the cost of
Inscription by 1 and pay half cost for Archery. Stone Elves have access to role-play only Mental Abilities.
Level Requirements are removed for Stone Elf Mental Abilities."

Does that answer your question, or was there something more specific you wanted to know about mental abilities?

Side note, we put together a little cheat sheet for returning veterans; this outlines the newest updates to the rules (though some things may need more clarification if you didn't play 2.0 either... hopefully it still helps a little, though!):

:) Hope to see you at Cinderfel and The Isle soon!

Wait am I reading this right? With the 2.1 rules Biata are now allowed to use Celestial Magic?
Yes. They pay double cost for Read Magic.

I don't see any way for Biata/Stone Elves to get their mental abilities? Are they removed or how does that work now?
Over the course of the last few rules updates, mental abilities were changed so that they unlocked when you hit specific benchmarks for racial xp and level.

2.1 Beta has removed the level restriction, so access to the mental abilities is purely based on how much xp you have spent on racial abilities.

Yes. They pay double cost for Read Magic.

Over the course of the last few rules updates, mental abilities were changed so that they unlocked when you hit specific benchmarks for racial xp and level.

2.1 Beta has removed the level restriction, so access to the mental abilities is purely based on how much xp you have spent on racial abilities.
Thank you. So much has changed.

I've noticed that some High magic allows the use of Rituals, the same with Formal magic. Are they different types of rituals or does the high magic the applies to rituals only apply to the rituals obtained through Formal magic?

High Magic is a skill you can buy with XP, that generates a pool of points that you can spend on abilities. One of the abilities you can spend points on is Formal Magic, which allows you to cast rituals, basically.

The ritual system went through a pretty significant overhaul in the 1.3 to 2.0 conversion. A lot of the old top tier rituals were removed (Damage Aura, Protection Aura) or heavily modified (Earth Aura, Monster Slayer). A bunch of new rituals were introduced as well. One of the biggest changes with rituals is that all the ritual information is now public and available on the CMA.

Back