Expedition Supplies [9/30]

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
From my brief talks with the High Arcanists months ago among our first adventures within Bastion. I got the distinct impression that the portal we were gathering supplies was a one-way trip with the assumption we would be able to find that which we needed to reconstitute the portal and eventually make the portal two directional...

To that end, Bastion is making preparations and sacrifices of a no small amount to supply the expedition with "expected immediate needs" as well as citizens who have volunteered to embark as well potentially leaving their life in bastion behind.

Thus far we know of a powerful artifact ritual store to build a tavern exceptionally quickly with March of the Untiring. As well as the supplies to build it and initial items to supply and fill said tavern. I've also seen a supply of weapons and armor and an increase of training drills among martial citizens so I'm assuming we will also have a defense force for our camp in addition to the adventurers who are among them.

So - I wanted to discover if anyone knew of any other plans Bastion may have or any ideas they know if the supplies Bastion plans to commit.

Then also, of those Bastion Native adventurers and also adventurers from other lands - what do you plan for your own caravan to make sure yourself and/or the settlement have available. Or among your plans, what you might be missing and still looking for the final pieces to your caravan.

I'll post my plans and searches separately from the base questions.

Last edited:
Apprentice Magistrate Shen,

I am very well learned in the arts of crafting and have achieved mastery in both alchemy and potion making. My skills in trap making are very nearly mastered as well. If there are specific things needed for this undertaking I am more than willing to provide at a very reasonable rate. Reach out to me with a specific list and I will see what I can muster for you.

Cordially,
Kettle Croquet Flank Kolrabi of the Guilderncage III of his clutch, also known as the Apothecary

To clarify, my understanding of the events were that we would be creating a small pinhole tunnel from Bastion to the new land, and would then be tasked with creating a sort of beacon that the High Arcanist could then aim for to solidify the connection for further operations.

The rituals involved were...complicated to say the least. While I am capable of casting ritual magics from both earth and celestial aspects, the magics used here still contained some concepts that left me a bit dizzy. Given this, I may be mistaken on the overall goals.

Perhaps the High Arcanist could send an apprentice to clarify and ensure we are all on the same page regarding this.

Binar

Binar,

We would need to send someone to go and ask them as they don't "monitor" so to speak our conversations not held in public.

As I said, I had loose conversations with them, and at that only two out of three. It is likely the plan has refined or altered since then. But at the end of the day, for those without an Adventuring spirit to mist walk - its a one-way trip until we are able to make it not. This plan or method however isn't the focus of my inquiry. My focus is on the expedition itself, and what the adventurers have planned and willing to share and what others have heard regarding Bastions plans in terms of intent/goals/supplies/personnel.

I think there is a question there for those that have workshops that are set up in Bastion or other areas within the Nimbus and are not enchanted to easily travel. If they are not able to access them this could severely inhibit their ability to help create new crafts. Has the logistics of making supplies available for these craftsmen been addressed? Either way, my forge will be coming with me. However, I am not skilled in magic but is there some sort of Temporary Magic the would let those crafters move their workshop with the expedition?

Knots Filomena Fabian Fenix of New Zenith the 12th

As for me, personally I have a personal passion for magical floral and fauna, as well as Artiface particularly in regards to their care... As a result, I am planning to add to the expedition the possibility of a Barn & Garden which will serve for such things. In the immediate sense, I am planning hardy animals I know can make the travel and have simple enough needs.

Included will be a small collection of work & riding horses, some chickens and a faithful and young dairy cow. As well as several gold worth of hearty farm able seeds which are able to grow in most climates and soils as well as several gold worth of Spices and their seeds to grow more for use & trade. Lastly a small collection of trade Silks from the lands I was born as well as a means to have more such Silks created.

By name alone, I assume those of the Avery may have avian plans or ideas, but I also have a few trained birds of prey to serve as lookouts and hunters. Lastly as the date draws near, I've commissioned a new home hatchery of messenger pegions to be born and raised in our settlement but be populated enough to create more new home hatcheries as we may expand.

As well as a collection of Wagons, as well as initial feed for everything and general living.

If you have need of a temporary or more permanent home for animals or know if those magical plants or animals which may serve purpose and you believe could survive not only the journey but also endure unknown living conditions with a relatively simple diet. Feel free to contact me or meet with me in Bastion to discuss them.

In so far as tangible means of "stuff" I am still looking for.
* an alchemist to mix some Alchemical Lights. I have 20, but I anticipate needing at least 30 more - possibly more than that.
* gardeners, alchemists or similar who can assist setting up the green house once built
* a tinkerer who could set up a system of things which will allow such Alchemical Light to provide Illumination in such a Barn which I will then reinforce with celestial magic.
* those with celestial Spell stores capable of holding Ward and circles of power. Which may not have an exact immediate need - but when this part of the plan happens I will need to invoke multiple wards (like 5 or 6) as well as likely a dozen probably 2 dozen, hopefully not more, circles of power to circle the property for future ritual magics.
* Ritual Scrolls which can travel through mists or found within Bastian
-- March of the Untiring
-- merchants Insight
-- Jack of all Trades
-- Audible Projection (multiple)
-- Bound Shard (multiple - i have a collection but anticipate needing more not only for the barn but also the future tavern)
-- Warder Glyph
-- Catalyst for a Stable Foundation

Likely more things as the concept continues to develop

is there some sort of Temporary Magic the would let those crafters move their workshop with the expedition?

I have a rather powerful workshop that I can allow others to use regardless of their crafting style. But it is only a limited number of people.

Which I will prioritize of those crafting for the benefit of the whole expedition and then those who are crafting for their own needs who entice me to find their needs more favorable than those of another.

I could make those 30 alchemical lights, it would cost 30 silver. I believe that is the going market rate for those of Bastion. We could potentially work out a discount as you are willing to purchase a large stock of items.

Kettle Croquet Flank Kolrabi of the Guilderncage III of his clutch, also known as the "Apothecary"

I have more Celestial and Earth Spell stores than I'd like to admit, so I can easily store some CoPs or Wards if needed. The magics are a little iffy right now but if things go my way I'll have at least a few available.

I'm also going to bring a raft, cause take it from me, being cold and wet is the worst.

-Maiev

I have more Celestial and Earth Spell stores than I'd like to admit, so I can easily store some CoPs or Wards if needed. The magics are a little iffy right now but if things go my way I'll have at least a few available.

I'm also going to bring a raft, cause take it from me, being cold and wet is the worst.

-Maiev
I've also been considering a Raft as my command of Ice Magic is weaker than my preferred element - Lightning is not helpful in traveling a river. But is rather amazing at Fishing with alacrity.

They do tend to be rather easy to make so I'm likely to wait until we learn and get a feel for our Portal's landing point as creation magic will likely steer us toward survivable access to nearby water - but it may not be that which we would travel or also possible near by an ocean that likely isn't calm enough.
Sadly my knowledge and grasp of such things is marginally absent short of attempting siege or destruction of ships. I know the important pieces that you don't want to break - just no idea what to do with them when they're working.

I imagine there will be those who's hearts are called by the sea and by the river. I'll be happy to remain a land lover over in my future sanctuary/barn/house/lab/garden.

That in mind, I imagine you have a list of plants with various properties which your life's exposure in predominatly river and swamps areas that fellow land lovers lack exposure. Let me know if there is something of value you think we should be sure to bring and aid in its transplant and care.

The Spell Stores will be immensity helpful once the final structure is completed as I will need to protect those inside and those outside not to mention unknown environmental factors. It will be a very large magical undertaking that will require some clever use of layered Wards and other magics.

I will likely also need a knowledgeable farm hand and someone assistance of those also versed in mundane or magical animal husbandry. Short of that - a Tinkerer and I are about to get very creative for an automated Milking, grooming, churning, grinding and other daily farm related chores... that when you spend thus far life in persuit mastering magic, clearly magic can be used to solve most anything... till it can't. Then my favorite words... "I've got an Idea".

That was a lot of talking, but I got ya on the spell store stuff, though I dont think I can venture out except this coming market, at least for this year.

As for plant knowledge. I know what to eat and what will give you sores on your tongue but thats in The Great Swamp and plants here may be different.

Im just going to super boost myself with protection from all things horrible and hope for the best.

Maiev

I have received permission from House Aviary to divulge a recent discovery of mine, within the laboratories of House Aviary I have discovered a way to keep food from spoiling. This is no simple refrigeration but a true way to stave off bacterium, fungus, and other intrusive agents that would make the food inedible for most. This is a costly process and is very difficult to perform. I can make some myself, being the inventor of it, but each batch would cost 2 gold to produce. I can make an appropriate amount if you are interested in applying it to what rations we can collect. That being said, it is possible that House Gnosis of Bastion could provide some extra supplies to reduce the cost for making this poltice.

Kettle Croquet Flank Kolrabi of the Guilderncage III of his clutch, the "Apothecary" of House Aviary

Kettle Croquet Flank Kolrabi of the Guilderncage III of his clutch, the "Apothecary" of House Aviary

I appreciate the extension - I am sure there will be many who are interested or willing to consider such things. I would also be willing to contribute to such a device for our future Tavern. Absent of any other readily available my Partner is a skilled butcher and could address what fresh game we determine is viable. I am sure we may need those medically minded to ensure that such foreign game is safe for our consumption as well as our animals.

Ideally I had intended this to more community aspected than just me & the things I remain searching for my own plans. As a fully pledged expedition, I had anticipated many to fully approach it as a permanent (until its not) relocation. So while I will happily engage in commerce to ensure viability and survival of my own efforts, I equally look forward to others having both needs and offers. We can't, yet, build an entire settlement or roads out of Sheep alone.

I am to assume the liquid lights will not be necessary then? Or shall I have some made for you to purchase at the market?

I am to assume the liquid lights will not be necessary then? Or shall I have some made for you to purchase at the market?

They are a need once construction is complete. So if you have someone with a more immediate need of your skills then by all means. Otherwise, I have no issue with acquiring the supplies sooner rather than later - not as if they expire so long as they aren't used.

In a hopeful world, my research into how the hammers are "refilled" with a new March of the Untiring to build new buildings will be lead to actionable information by the time we cross through the portal. And I also have acquired all that is needed to do so. Without both parts it's to early to make the request to use a Hammer once their current construction enchantment has been used & finished.

But once the building is completed and it can provide shelter and Sanctuary for my own as well as other's livestock should they have need - then I'm sure a fair bit of last minute needs and crafting skills will be on my daily to do list. As mentioned, particularly tinkering machinations that can perform benign farm/plant/animal tasks.

I will have 30 liquid lights prepared for you. Let me know if anything else is require of me. That goes for any of the community that is in need of supplies. I would especially appreciate early orders.

Hello Apprentice Magistrate Shen,

I am a skilled Falconer and will bring my Falcon, Torch, with me. If you need aid with your birds of prey please let me know.

Back