Alliance Rulebook 2.1 Draft for Player Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page 25: "A given defense can only be used once against a single attack"

To me, this is a bit unclear, as it implies that if person A throws a spell that person B banes, person A cannot bane it back as the "bane" defense has already been used once. The 2.0 rulebook had a helpful clarifying example of:

Terin has two Bane Curses and a Reflect Spell. He is struck by a packet with the call “Spell Paralysis!” Since Paralysis is in the Curse Effect Group, he can call “Bane” to bounce it back at his attacker. Unfortunately for him, his attacker is prepared for this with their own Bane Curse, which they invoke by similarly calling “Bane.” Terin can’t use his second Bane against this attack, since he’s already called Bane against it, but he can still use his Reflect Spell!

Which clarifies that a given defense can only be used once per person against a single attack, rather than once ever against a single attack, as the wording of the rule itself implies

Biata page 11:
1684358985678.png
I know from context that the 'Claws' referred to are strictly decorative, but without elaboration worry that despite it not being listed in the Racial skills, someone might assume it confers the ability to use claws to deal damage.

High Ogre page 12:
1684359239425.png
Line 2:
"...as well blows..." Perhaps "...as well as blows..."?

Classes paragraph 3, page 15:

1684359769298.png

"...the class who's..." should probably be "the class whose"

Packets paragraphs 3 and 4, page 17:

1684360715912.png

Since packets are used for more than just aura and globes historically could be disarmed, would it be worth noting that packets could be carried in hand for uses other than aura?

Aside from that, there is no paragraph break between 3 and 4 here.

Weapon Tags page 17:
1684360917175.png
First line, "to be a used"

Small on Weapons table, page 18, the first line does not have a gray background in the first (only) cell, making it inconsistent with the rest of the table's formatting.

Incentive Points page 20:

1684361260322.png
There is no paragraph break space between the criteria and "In Genre:"

I will take a peek at Combat and further in a bit, but figured I'd slip these out for you!

Thank you again to Docs and ARC for your hard work.

Attachments

• 1684360670003.png
    1684360670003.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 4
On page 14, under Wylderkin Disadvantages. It says Cost to buy Read Magic is doubled but every other race list it as Xp cost is doubled.
Language updated. Thank you.

13: Stone Elves: "most outer" should probably be "outermost"

19: Armor Evaluation: remove "a" before "costuming"

35: "An attack on the target by the caster’s companions will not immediately break the Charm but if the caster does not attempt to stop it and if no good reason is provided for the attack, the Charm may be broken." This isn't clear to me at all. I think it means that if the caster's companions attack the target, the caster gets a chance to ... explain to the target why they're doing it? And if the caster doesn't provide a reason, the charm is broken?
Language updated to, "An attack on the target by the caster’s companions will not immediately break the Charm effect, but if the caster does not attempt to stop the attack on the target or provide a good reason, the Charm may be broken" (pg 35).

44: Vorpal Coating has "Coating" listed twice beneath the name of the effect.
Updated as below. Thank you.
Vorpal Coating
Coating
Alchemy​
5 Days...​
Page 25: "A given defense can only be used once against a single attack" To me, this is a bit unclear
Updated language to, "A given defense type can only be used once per player against a single attack" (pg 25). Thank you.

Biata page 11: I know from context that the 'Claws' referred to are strictly decorative, but without elaboration worry that despite it not being listed in the Racial skills, someone might assume it confers the ability to use claws to deal damage.
Updated language to, "Costuming Requirements: Feathers must be present on/over the eyebrows. ‘talons’, and additional feathers are optional elaborations" (pg 11). thank you.

High Ogre page 12: Line 2:"...as well blows..." Perhaps "...as well as blows..."?
Updated language for clarity. Thank you.

Classes paragraph 3, page 15: "...the class who's..." should probably be "the class whose"

Packets paragraphs 3 and 4, page 17:Since packets are used for more than just aura and globes historically could be disarmed, would it be worth noting that packets could be carried in hand for uses other than aura? Aside from that, there is no paragraph break between 3 and 4 here.
Line break added. Language regarding packets updated to, "Packets are visible in-game but are not in-game items and cannot be Disarmed, Broken, or Shattered. Spell and Channeling packets held in the hand are seen in-game as an opaque colored aura of energy, though they produce no useful light. Alchemy and Tinkering Globes appear as vials of swirling chemicals" (pg 17). Thank you.

Weapon Tags page 17: First line, "to be a used"

Small on Weapons table, page 18, the first line does not have a gray background in the first (only) cell, making it inconsistent with the rest of the table's formatting.
Table updated. Thank you.

Incentive Points page 20: There is no paragraph break space between the criteria and "In Genre:"
Line break added. Thank you.

Last edited:
Goodness help us he's back at it again!

Weapon Attacks paragraph 2, page 22:

1684367990811.png
In the 2.0 rulebook, it wasn't either you vary, but both conditions had to be true (45 degree arc back and varying hit location.) I am unsure if the wording here was intentional.

Defenses paragraphs 7 and 8, page 25:

1684369880205.png
This just needs space between the description and the Resist paragraph.

Game Abilities page 25:
1684370699153.png

Was the omission of the statement from page 26 of the 2.0 ARB here:
However, you can still talk, drink a potion, activate a magic item, or perform other actions that do
not fall under the “Game Abilities” list.
An intentional choice? It may be included in another section, but without the context of prior knowledge may cause confusion.

That's all I have in the tank for tonight, thank you all for your hard work!

8: First use of "Logistics Period," for which I can't find a definition in the rulebook.

10: "Dark Elves often chose to stay in the shadowy fringes" -- should be "choose," I think, as all the other race description text is present tense.

35: Under "Qualifiers," I think this is the first use of the jargon "incant," which as far as I can see isn't defined for new players.

40: Fortress states that the target must "plant their feet." Does this mean that walking will break the spell?

43: Shatter: Is the difference between Shatter and Break defined anywhere in the rulebook? I can't find the distinction.

96: Amalgam Armament: It sounds like a character without Alchemy can switch the item between normal/silver 3 times ever, and a character with Alchemy can switch the item an infinite number of times without using a charge? Is that right?

After updates are made, is the first post with the document equally updated to reflect these changes?

Since we are now into page two of comments and updates, I want to make sure that equally the most current version is the one for access & review. Not only for accuracy, but also when seeing it for the first time no one is "finding" something that has already been reported and changed.

Page 33- Chart: Eldritch Force
Magic Storm & Lesser do not list that they are removed by Dispel

In theory, Break may be removed by Mend, as the text of break says "until mended" and the text of Mend says "Item effected by Break"
Shatter has text that Game Items with Ritual Effects, takes a Break Effect, which then means that game items with ritual effects may also have the break effect removed by Mend.

Page 34 - Berserk
"Must use passive abilities such as Weapon Prof & Backstab... " Implying that while berserk a character must call their full damage and they can not "pull their punches" as the top lines of page 23 explain in the "calling Damage" section.

While I would feel a character is required to use their full damage, however the effect does not explicitly require the the calls to be the full amount nor does it contradict the calling damage section. Without explicitly contradicting it, the calling damage section remains accurate despite Berserk's description. - The player is required to use their passive abilities, but is not required to use them to their maximum capabilities.

Last edited:
43: Shatter: Is the difference between Shatter and Break defined anywhere in the rulebook? I can't find the distinction.
(emphasis mine)

Break, P34
This Effect will reduce any targeted armor to 0 Armor Points, and make any targeted game item which does not have Ritual Effects unusable until it is mended. A Strengthening Charge may be expended by calling “Resist”, to negate a Break effect. Magic Items, Components, and Ritual Scrolls are immune to the Break Effect.

Shatter, 43
This Effect will reduce any targeted armor to 0 Armor Points and consume any targeted game item which does not have Ritual Effects on it. Game items with Ritual Effects will take Shatter as a Break effect and be unusable as a game item until Mended. This does not prevent the use of Ritual Effects on the item, unless their use requires the use of the item as a game item. If a targeted Item is Strengthened, a Shatter will consume a single Strengthen charge on the item and negate the Shatter effect, calling “Resist”. Catalysts and Ritual Scrolls are immune to Shatter effects.
----

Break, simply breaks and item and makes it unusable until "mended". Items with Ritual Effects (magic items) are immune to Break, Mundane items that are strengthened may Resist Break by expending a charge.

Shatter, destroys an item entirely and it can not be repaired, unless that item has ritual effects (magic Item), or is strengthened. items with Ritual Effects (magic items) are not Immune, but instead take an alternate effect that they are "broken until mended", as described in the Break effect. Items with Ritual Effects, in their broken state, may still use their ritual effects so long as those ritual effects are not required of the game item. Example: An enchanted Spell Book that has been [Effect: Shattered], the holder may still use a "Recharge Prowess" Ritual effect charge, as this does not require the use of a spell book game item. However they may not expend a charge of "Spell Swap" Ritual Effect charge, as this ritual must be performed with a spell book game item, which is currently "broken."

I personally have only just finished up to the end of effects on my first read, and the as sen in the break description, there are a few different places which describe "Items with Ritual effects" and also "magic items" but the separate use of them are not inclusive of one another. a review of when each phrase is used and to either clarify them, or pick one phrase and only use it throughout the entirety. We might also consider using "destroy" instead of "Consume" in the description of Shatter. When casting a Ritual we "consume" reagents - When targeting an item with shatter it isn't "consumed" by the spell, it is "destroyed" by the spell.

Game items with Ritual Effects will take Shatter as a Break effect and be unusable as a game item until Mended
This would be clearer if rephrased as something like:

"Items with Ritual Effects cannot be Shattered. If a magic item is hit with Shatter, it will be Broken instead (see Break), and will be unusable until Mended."

Last edited:
Back at it!

Matters of Life and Death paragraph 2, page 27:

1684446172406.png

The second to last line omits the out of game statement that the character is "choosing to die" and implies that they would bypass bleeding out. If the intent is for the verbal to be "choosing to bleed out" for overall clarity, perhaps could refer to the choice to bleed out in the next paragraph.

Resurrections paragraphs 2 and 3, page 27:

1684446738251.png

Just needs a space to break up the paragraphs, easy day!

Focus paragraph 2, page 31:

1684448388719.png

Just "character's" as in the possessive here!

Effects chart, page 32, 33:

Antidote has "N/A" under Removed By, while other effects with no applicable removal are left blank.

Poison Shield is listed as a potion, but cannot normally be created as Brewing adventuring equipment.

Going to finish this post as I'm about to get into the meat and potatoes of effects next, wish me luck.

To effects and beyond:

Effects page 34:
1684452438539.png

In other examples, the effect group and duration are italicized.

Charm, page 35:

1684452526132.png

Space may enhance readability here

Circle of Power, page 36:

1684452685956.png
This one has no italics on the effect group

Cure Wounds, page 38:

1684454091084.png
Sneaky extra period got in there after Body Points

Disease, page 38:

1684454225183.png

Space between the paragraphs could improve readability

Lesser Investment and Lesser Magic Storm, pages 40 and 41:

1684454773167.png
1684454793836.png
It appears these two effects broke free from the Effect Group, Type, Duration pattern

Purify, page 42:

1684455086023.png

Purify calls out that it will affect undead as Drain affects the living, but it is not listed under Drain. I am not sure if the omission was intentional.

Solidify paragraph 2, page 43:

1684455357529.png
"...by this effect, will..." could omit the comma

More to come, but I can only put on 10 attachments

Attachments

• 1684452360243.png
    1684452360243.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 2
To keep it from yelling at me about attachments, I'll try to annotate/make clear what can be made clear without screenshots.

Stun Limb paragraphs 2 and 3, page 44:

Space for readability spot

Ward paragraphs 5, 6, 7, 8, page 45:

Took out bit about Florentine and claws since it is answered in the claws skill!

Attachments

• 1684459312608.png
    1684459312608.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Goodness help us he's back at it again!
It's much appreciated. ¡Team effort!

Weapon Attacks paragraph 2, page 22:In the 2.0 rulebook, it wasn't either you vary, but both conditions had to be true (45 degree arc back and varying hit location.) I am unsure if the wording here was intentional.
Updated to "In order to be considered a valid attack, a weapon swing must meet the following conditions: each hit must vary location; each swing must progress beyond a 45-degree angle; each swing must be accompanied by a valid call. Any attack that does not meet all of these conditions is invalid and should not be counted." Thank you.

Defenses paragraphs 7 and 8, page 25:This just needs space between the description and the Resist paragraph.
Section updated for readability. Thank you.

Game Abilities page 25:Was the omission of the statement from page 26 of the 2.0 ARB here:
Other non Game Ability actions are covered elsewhere, but we'll look at the section for readibility.

8: First use of "Logistics Period," for which I can't find a definition in the rulebook.
"Logistic's Period" will be included in the Glossary. Thank you.

10: "Dark Elves often chose to stay in the shadowy fringes" -- should be "choose," I think, as all the other race description text is present tense.

35: Under "Qualifiers," I think this is the first use of the jargon "incant," which as far as I can see isn't defined for new players.
"Incant" will be included in the Glossary. Thank you.

40: Fortress states that the target must "plant their feet." Does this mean that walking will break the spell?
Yes. This is unchanged from previous editions.

Shatter and Break effects are outlined in their respective sections, but both sections have been updated for readability and coherence. Thank you.

96: Amalgam Armament: It sounds like a character without Alchemy can switch the item between normal/silver 3 times ever, and a character with Alchemy can switch the item an infinite number of times without using a charge? Is that right?
Language updated, "A character with Alchemy may expend a charge on this item. Once a charge is expended, a character with Alchemy may Focus for one minute to swap the effect of this weapon from Normal to Silver or from Silver to Normal an unlimited number of times during the Logistics Period." Thank you.

After updates are made, is the first post with the document equally updated to reflect these changes?
No. The document is not being updated.

Magic Storm & Lesser do not list that they are removed by Dispel

In theory, Break may be removed by Mend, as the text of break says "until mended" and the text of Mend says "Item effected by Break"
The Break effect creates the Broken condition. We'll work on the sections for readability. Thank you.

"Must use passive abilities such as Weapon Prof & Backstab... " Implying that while berserk a character must call their full damage and they can not "pull their punches" as the top lines of page 23 explain in the "calling Damage" section.
We'll work with ARC on whether this was the intention behind this effect and update the section. Thank you.

Matters of Life and Death paragraph 2, page 27:The second to last line omits the out of game statement that the character is "choosing to die" and implies that they would bypass bleeding out. If the intent is for the verbal to be "choosing to bleed out" for overall clarity, perhaps could refer to the choice to bleed out in the next paragraph.
An unconscious character (or NPC) may choose to immediately die (become Dead), skipping Bleeding Out.

Resurrections paragraphs 2 and 3, page 27:Just needs a space to break up the paragraphs, easy day!

Focus paragraph 2, page 31:Just "character's" as in the possessive here!

Effects chart, page 32, 33:Antidote has "N/A" under Removed By, while other effects with no applicable removal are left blank.

Poison Shield is listed as a potion, but cannot normally be created as Brewing adventuring equipment.

Effects page 34:In other examples, the effect group and duration are italicized.
Font updated. Thank you.

Charm, page 35:Space may enhance readability here
Section updated for readability. Thank you.

Circle of Power, page 36:This one has no italics on the effect group
Font updated. Thank you.

Cure Wounds, page 38:Sneaky extra period got in there after Body Points
Period removed. Thank you.

Disease, page 38:Space between the paragraphs could improve readability

Lesser Investment and Lesser Magic Storm, pages 40 and 41:It appears these two effects broke free from the Effect Group, Type, Duration pattern
Header updated for both effects. Thank you.

Purify, page 42:purify calls out that it will affect undead as Drain affects the living, but it is not listed under Drain. I am not sure if the omission was intentional.
Language updated for both Purify and Drain to accurately mirror eachother. Thank you.

Solidify paragraph 2, page 43:"...by this effect, will..." could omit the comma

Stun Limb paragraphs 2 and 3, page 44: Space for readability spot

Ward paragraphs 5, 6, 7, 8, page 45: Space for readability spot
Line breaks added. Thank you.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. If not, feel free to remove it to reduce clutter:

The Starting Items section on page 10 of the new rule book does not mention using your starting pool of points to purchase magic items. Page 77 of the Player's Guide allows for it. Is it the intent of the new rule book to end the creation of magic items as starting equipment or will that information be included in a supplementary document?

Here we go again!

Healing Arts, paragraphs 5 and 6 (after the list of questions,) page 54:

Also, while first aid mentions that body contact can be refused by the recipient without refusing the use of the skill, that is not present in Healing Arts.

Parry, page 56:

Between each paragraph, a space can improve readability

Profession, paragraphs 2 and 3, page 56:

Space for readability

Mental Abilities paragraph 5, page 60:

1684677759605.png
Could add space here to improve readability

Cause Pain, page 61:

"...but will not be any Body Points..." should perhaps be "...but will not lose any Body Points..." here?

Spell Chart, level 7, page 64:

Destruction is listed with "Remove Destruction", which is an artifact from the 2.0 rulebook where it also did not exist as an effect. The Unofficial Errata page for the 2.0 Rulebook confirms that it was no longer a spell.

Spell Books etc, page 66:

The font size seems to change partway through, being a smaller font for most of the left column then increasing in size at the end.

High Magic chart, page 69:
  • Arcane Smith - "60 second" instead of "60 seconds"
  • Higher Manifestation - Wording changed from 2.1 December packet, now mentions evoking channeling charges through their hand rather than using a single hand as a Channeling Source
  • Oak of the Archmage - "Evoke" channeling instead of using Staff as Channeling Source, omits use of the ability to deliver Signature Spells through attacks, wording change fro 2.1 packet
  • Powerful Meditation - Now says "Guard" instead of defense, where these concepts are not interchangeable
  • Celestial Armor - Omits "Maximum of 5 purchases"
  • Earth's Bounty - "Maximum of 5 purchase" instead of "purchases"
Magical Channeling, page 71:
1684681595262.png
Specifically calling out its use in conjunction with the Higher Manifestation ability while not mentioning Oak of the Archmage or other effects that allow other items to be used as a source may cause confusion as to whether or not they can be used.

Rituals, page 82:

Mentions freeplay CMA, uses link for regular CMA.

That's it for this post, next up I'm diving into Crafting.

Crafting section!

Alchemy Types, paragraph 3, page 84:

1684684524743.png
Per the 2.1 December packet, this call would be "Poison [Number] [Effect]"

Trap Physrep, list, page 86:

Explosive trap physrep size is not listed, should be with Gas and Scroll traps if the sizing is maintained from 2.0

Weapon Trap paragraph 5, page 87:

Mentions Marshal calling a Hold - would this be changed to Time Out so as not to move the targets of the Weapon Trap by having them kneel?

Brewing and Inscription Adventuring Equipment tables, page 89:

Earth and Celestial Spellbooks written "Spell-book"

Vial of Resistance, page 98:

Lists "Magic" instead of "Spell" under corresponding resistance used

Acidic Skin, page 104:

Missing period at the end of the last sentence

Infection, page 106:

The first I in Infection is not bold

Massive, page 106:

1684691638817.png
Where I placed the green line seems to be missing a period

Revive, page 107:

Last sentence ends with a colon instead of a period, possible artifact from a removed example

Circling back a little,

Assassinate, page 51:

Screenshot_20230521-200145-479.png

The mention of melee attack right away in the first sentence, on a quick scan if playing an archery rogue I would likely skim right by, thinking the skill isn't useful for my setup.

That's all I've got!

Thank you to Docs and ARC for the work you've put in to make 2.1 a reality.

Last edited:
Healing Arts, paragraphs 5 and 6 (after the list of questions,) page 54:

Also, while first aid mentions that body contact can be refused by the recipient without refusing the use of the skill, that is not present in Healing Arts.
Added space for readability and added "A player who is being given having Healing Arts preformed on them and does not wish to have body contact must tell the player with the Healing Arts skill. This does not mean the Healing Arts is being refused in-game."
Thank you.
Parry, page 56:

Between each paragraph, a space can improve readability
Added space for readability.
Thank you.
Profession, paragraphs 2 and 3, page 56:

Space for readability
Thank you.
Mental Abilities paragraph 5, page 60:

1684677759605.png

Could add space here to improve readability
Thank you.
Cause Pain, page 61:

"...but will not be any Body Points..." should perhaps be "...but will not lose any Body Points..." here?
Updated text to "The recipient will writhe around and scream in agony but will not lose any Body Points."
Thank you.
Spell Chart, level 7, page 64:

Destruction is listed with "Remove Destruction", which is an artifact from the 2.0 rulebook where it also did not exist as an effect. The Unofficial Errata page for the 2.0 Rulebook confirms that it was no longer a spell.
Updated table to reflect current effects.
Thank you.
Spell Books etc, page 66:

The font size seems to change partway through, being a smaller font for most of the left column then increasing in size at the end.
Updated font size discrepancy.
Thank you.
High Magic chart, page 69:
  • Arcane Smith - "60 second" instead of "60 seconds"
  • Higher Manifestation - Wording changed from 2.1 December packet, now mentions evoking channeling charges through their hand rather than using a single hand as a Channeling Source
  • Oak of the Archmage - "Evoke" channeling instead of using Staff as Channeling Source, omits use of the ability to deliver Signature Spells through attacks, wording change fro 2.1 packet
  • Powerful Meditation - Now says "Guard" instead of defense, where these concepts are not interchangeable
  • Celestial Armor - Omits "Maximum of 5 purchases"
  • Earth's Bounty - "Maximum of 5 purchase" instead of "purchases"
Table updated to correct grammar.
  • Arcane Smith - "60 seconds"
  • Higher Manifestation - Changed to "Caster may use a hand as a source"
  • Oak of the Archmage - Reverted to 2.0 table wording
  • Powerful Meditation - Updated to Defense
  • Celestial Armor - Fixed error in table
  • Earth's Bounty - Corrected Purchases
Thank you.
Rituals, page 82:

Mentions freeplay CMA, uses link for regular CMA.
Removed the word freeplay.
Thank you.

1684765442969.png

Higher Manifestation contains duplicate sentence. "This ability may be purchased multiple times to allow for multiple elements"

As a new player, the Vengence Effect is hard to find a description for. It is listed in the Monster Ability section, but I had to scroll through the entire book manually searching for the phrase. This was all due to the Alchemy Vomitous Blast ability. Consider adding another sentence such as "for more information on Vengence, see the effect in the Monster Special Abilities chapter".

Pg 37: First line of  Corrupt feels a little funky.
"This effect will kill (they become Dead) a living target" could instead be "This effect will kill a living target (they will become Dead)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back