[0.10] Riposte, Shatter, Stun Limb & Disarm

tieran

Duke
Alliance Rules
Gettysburg Staff
Marshal
So, I’ve been playing around with various builds recently, and I realized that a question that I’ve had since I saw the first version of these rules has not been answered.

Riposte, Shatter, Stun Limb & Disarm all have some variation of “1 per xx XP spent in Fighting Skills or Rogue Skills” as their Prerequisite.

The question basically boils down to the following: If I have a scout with 4 critical attacks and 4 back attacks, can he buy a disarm?

In other words, are the fighter and rogue skill point totals combined for purposes of these 4 skills or are the considered separate “pools” for skill purchasing?

Thoughts? Answers?

The 2.0 builder Polare posted with the .10 packet seems to support the idea that you can combine them to meet prerequisites? A Human Fighter with 1 WP (15 XP) and 1 BS (30 XP) seems to be able to purchase Stun Limb (45 XP required) without issue? The box doesn't turn red, at least.

At some point, in a previous iteration of the playtest, one of the owners or ARC members said that the intention was that they could not be combined. However, I have no way of knowing if that was an incorrect statement, that has changed in the most recent build, or if the 2.0 builder simply screws up when checking Stun Limb prereqs (perhaps because it is much harder to program otherwise).

-MS

If it's a mistake in the coding of the spreadsheet, I feel like it would have been caught iterations ago, given how relatively simple it is to check for? Although I also remember reading that they couldn't be combined, so I can only speculate.

If it's a mistake in the coding of the spreadsheet, I feel like it would have been caught iterations ago, given how relatively simple it is to check for? Although I also remember reading that they couldn't be combined, so I can only speculate.

Nah, it's a playtest. We're still catching basic wording mistakes that make things impossible, like shatter requiring it contact a physrep but somehow working on Celestial Armor granted Arcane. Such is the nature of the process. If you see something call it out for clarification.

@Polare Wanna chime in on this?

-

Last edited:
Shouldn't the copy read, "x amount of build in Fighter AND Rogue skills" then, implying that both will fufill the requirement?

Edit: I can see how using "and" people might think you need both. So maybe have "and/or"

I’m pretty confident that it’s not intended to allow combining pre-reqs.

The wording isn’t really much different than 1.3, and we all know they don’t combine in 1.3. If the intention was to change it, I’m sure we’d have seen a paragraph explaining the intention behind the change, because that’s a pretty big one. Since no explanation exists, I can’t imagine it’s intentional.

-

Last edited:
Given enough build, I suspect both fighter and rogue will tend to turn into scouts, because it becomes vastly cheaper to pick up profs or backstabs than keep stacking the one you are 'supposed' to be building.

-

Last edited:
What are you calling set? Because I can't figure out what you are referring to when you say that a set costs 20 levels (200) of build.

-MS

-

Last edited:
After clarifying with the other ARC folks, the intent is an exclusive "OR" - skills that allow Fighter *or* Rogue XP requirements require the full amount to be spent in one or the other (not a combination between the two).

To give an example: Shatter is purchasable at a rate of 1 per 45 XP in Fighter Skills or Rogue Skills. A character with 35 XP in Fighter skills and 35 XP in Rogue skills can buy 0 Shatters. A character with 50 XP in Fighter skills and 40 XP in Rogue skills can buy 1 Shatter. A character with 45 XP in Fighter skills and 45 XP in Rogue skills can buy 2 Shatters.

Make sense?

Thanks,
Bryan

edited to fix XP problem with example

Last edited:
@Polare Isn’t shatter 1 per 45?

Good times.

Thanks for the clarification!

Back