[0.8] Memory Strike

Ragnarok

Rogue
Alliance Rules
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Looking for some clarification on the use of memory strike and magic storm.

Specifically with the addition of high magic altered magic storm and lesser magic storm would that apply to the spell strike of the weapon, moving around while delivering the spell strikes and such.

Or can magic storm not even be used in conjunction with memory strike?

Currently, Spellstrike Magic Storm, requires you to plant your feet and you swing for "magic storm", there should be no movement.

I posted the important part at the end of that thread instead of here by accident, but it's clarified

"The Magic Storm spell itself is never thrown to be reflected, absorbed, etc."

That is the key part I believe that would keep this from being usable by any of the rituals that allow a spell to be passed to another source.

-Tony

The Magic Storm (and other Storm spells) are not delivered via packet, unlike every other spell. They are cast, and they create an effect that allows you to throw packets after the spell is cast.

This is why they cannot be regained via Meditate; you can never "miss" with the casting.

This unique mechanic prevents them from being stored (and, considering that they're extremely powerful, this is a fairy balancing side-effect).

This is why they cannot be regained via Meditate; you can never "miss" with the casting.

Can you still flub the verbal?

Can you still flub the verbal?

Yes, but I believe that it even if you flub the verbal, they decided to X out Meditate for Storm spells anyways.

I'm kind of curious, where did the logic behind 'Magic Storm as a Spell Strike lets me just keep swinging for unlimited spell strikes so long as I don't move' come from anyway? I hadn't encountered it before a couple years ago and it has always struck me as a huge stretch of the rules as written.

The current Magic Storm's casting ends with the delivery of the first packet (which is why it can only be Spell Stored on the first packet, per the ritual text.

SS MS has been used up here for many years.

Which explains how you can make an activated Magic Storm item, but not how that item converts from throwing packets to weapon blows.

If I understand the mechanics correctly, a Spell Strike Magic Storm should give the target struck the ability to throw packets so long as they maintain planted feet, not do 10 damage.

Just to be clear, the first packet in any storm does not currently give the target the ability to throw 10 damage packets. This would not change irrespective of delivery method.

Channel spell allows for swinginga weapon for a spell effect with a magic delivery type. much like Magic storm actually allows you to throw multiple packets, those packets just represent the delivery type of the storm. When channeled the delivery type for the whole spell has changed to be through the weapon/magic qualifier, similar to when it is elementally augmented, every packet is then an Elemental Magic storm delivery.

Currently these spells are outliers in the way they function. In 2.0 they will still be outliers, but they will be specified outliers to remove the strange interactions with other abilities.

-Tony

I suppose I'm trying to determine why they are outliers, because nothing else in the ruleset suggests that a spell should behave completely differently based on delivery between a cast packet and a Spell Strike. Or any printed rules that indicate this is a thing.

I could even understand a single swing, however the literal text of Magic Storm directly specifies that it grants the caster ability to throw packets.

At the time of casting, the caster plants both feet. As long as both feet remain planted, the verbal is stated, and the spell is not disrupted as per normal spell rules, the caster may throw packets. While the spell is in effect, the caster can perform no other skill nor cast any other spell. Each packet thrown counts as a separate spell which causes 10 points of damage. The caster must say “Magic Storm” with each packet thrown.

Then we have the note that redirected Storm spells simply count as a single packed of the spell's damage and then end the spell.

Unlike most spells, Storm spells (Magic Storm, Chaos Storm, and Earth Storm) involve throwing multiple packets for a single casting of the spell. For those ritual enchantments which will hold a spell (such as Enchant, Expanded Enchantment and Spell Store), a Storm must be cast directly into the item to “charge” it. This does not allow someone to both “charge” such an enchantment and throw multiple packets from the same casting. In addition, due to their unique casting style, these spells do not switch casters when Baned or Reflected. Only the single packet’s worth of damage will be sent back to the caster.

Being a Concentration effect also indicates that this should fail, as swinging a weapon (or blocking with one) requires use of a Game Skill other than Magic Storm.

Concentration: This effect lasts as long as the caster maintains concentration. While concentrating, the caster cannot run or use any Game Abilities. Examples of Concentration effects include Chaos Storm and Repel. If a character loses the ability to use Game Abilities while they have a Concentration effect active, the Concentration effect is broken. This means that such things as Prison, Sleep, Nausea, Paralysis, will all break a Magic Storm, Repel, or other Concentration effect. For the purposes of this rule, refitting armor (whether physical or Arcane/Celestial) should be considered a Concentration effect. The recipient of a Concentration spell that requires physical requirements (such as arms crossed or in the air) may choose to decline the spell simply by not applying the physical requirements. All normal spell defenses must be used first.

If we are questioning the current storms please move it out of this section. This is for discussing [0.8]

Back