2.0, 2.1, and returning players

Hey folks!

Post COVID returning player here. I went into larp hibernation for a year, starting getting back to games last year at non-Alliance events. My local chapter has starting rolling again this year which is awesome, and I am starting to get back into Alliance.

Figuring out 2.0 is incredibly frustrating.

I'm trying to learn the new rules, which are still in beta, but I also have to figure out 2.04 AND 2.1 and how they interact. There is no single cohesive document or rulebook to be found, and I have been cribbing other players notes and cheat sheets. It makes me very disinclined to return to Alliance as a game. Old Alliance was a dinosaur of a rulebook, and while the initial 2.0 changes I saw were much needed, you seem to be adding tabletop level complexity to a live action game more and more. The CMA is great, but when I need to have a 3 chrome tabs and two PDFs open to update a character for a single event it's a hassle I don't want to go through every single event. There's a massive amount of FOMO if I don't learn all the new things, but at the same time if I don't just play a stick jock I'll just end up not going from being overwhelmed.

Hey folks!

Post COVID returning player here. I went into larp hibernation for a year, starting getting back to games last year at non-Alliance events. My local chapter has starting rolling again this year which is awesome, and I am starting to get back into Alliance.

Figuring out 2.0 is incredibly frustrating.

I'm trying to learn the new rules, which are still in beta, but I also have to figure out 2.04 AND 2.1 and how they interact. There is no single cohesive document or rulebook to be found, and I have been cribbing other players notes and cheat sheets. It makes me very disinclined to return to Alliance as a game. Old Alliance was a dinosaur of a rulebook, and while the initial 2.0 changes I saw were much needed, you seem to be adding tabletop level complexity to a live action game more and more. The CMA is great, but when I need to have a 3 chrome tabs and two PDFs open to update a character for a single event it's a hassle I don't want to go through every single event. There's a massive amount of FOMO if I don't learn all the new things, but at the same time if I don't just play a stick jock I'll just end up not going from being overwhelmed.

Hi! I get this! I’m new as of the fall but I wanted to let you know how much grace is being given!

It’s frustrating to be going around and always changing rules - however - I’m trying to see it as “I get to be part of the development of the new rules! Or reason we keep the old ones!”

Also on mods in Chicago chapters our plot team has been amazing at helping announce at the start of a big mod “Let’s review these two rules…. For…. Reasons….” Because then they use those rules on the mod!

So just wanted to give you some positive vibes- if you come to the 5 day in Indiana we are going back to the old rules 2.0 and there is a pdf of those!

But don’t feel bad if you can’t keep it all in your head - everyone knows this is a growing time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also there are like a bazillion new people! So not knowing what’s going on will make you fit in with about 50% of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there. I hear you. I didn't love rewriting my character for 2.0, but I am glad I did because LARPing is still major fun :) Anyway, I would reach out to the local chapter - I suspect they have someone who can help you. If they don't, please message me. I can point you to the rules, help you build a character. Once you get the hang of it, it's no trouble. First time can be a pain though for sure.

Back