2015 Banquet Recipes

LARP Mom

Artisan
We had 11 wonderful dishes shared at this year's banquet event. I had many requests for copies, so I promised that I would make this post requesting the contestants to kindly assistant in the sharing. of your wonderful recipes.

Thank you,
Christina (aka - Socora)

Cheese curd biscuits
The first time I made these I accidentally doubled the butter and it was delicious but kinda ridiculous. For the banquet I made it by the book and it was decent. I would suggest using a full stick of butter instead of 1/3 cup, which is about halfway between. The other modification I'd suggest is melting some butter (2-3 tablespoons?), adding some basil and oregano, and brushing it on the biscuits while they're still hot from the oven. I think I also used more cheese curds than suggested, but I didn't measure it exactly. It's not a healthy recipe, but it tastes good.

The little pies were cobbled together from a few different recipes. The berry pie filling started with a frozen mix of blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I'll put the apple pie recipe in a quote thing so it condenses it a bit - you can probably add extra cinnamon, I never really bother measuring it.

Crust
1/2 cup butter (cold)
1 cup flour
1/4 cup cold water
Roll out small circles and form into muffin tins. (~12) Freeze ~10 minutes before filling.

Topping
1 Tbsp butter (melted)
1/3 cups flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup oats

Filling
3-4 apples chopped finely
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Boil water, sugar, cornstarch; boil with stirring until thickened (~2 minutes). Remove from heat; add vanilla and cinnamon; stir in apples.
Pour filling into crusts; cover with topping. Bake ~45 minutes at 375F until crust starts to brown. Cool before removing from baking tray.

This is the recipe I used for the baklava, but I added cranberries. It might have been about 1-1/2 cups after putting them through a grinder. Mix cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon. I also added two or three tablespoons of sugar. Follow the rest of the recipe as-written.

Kobeba was a little more complicated. The recipe I referenced says to layer it in a pan, but I made it into little football shapes. Something I would have tried differently: try grinding the bulgar before soaking it--a finer texture would probably make the outer layer way easier to shape without it cracking. For the filling, if you are making the football shapes, you probably only need 1 pound of ground beef. I ended up with a decent amount left over. Tip for making the football shape: smush the beef/bulgar mixture around your thumb to get started, then adjust from there. Add filling, and squish the top closed.
You will also need to make a batch of Egyptian seven spice. It smells amazing.

Last edited:
Back