A call for aid

ecrath

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Unbounded from beyond our Mist Sphere,
I am Master Weaver Jonas, some of you I have had the pleasure of meeting, others I have not. Thanks to the alignment of the mists, it seems that we are yet again in contact. Thanks to the experiments of Weaver Bizzyfang, communication has become increasingly easy between our Spheres. Regardless, this connection comes at a good time. During the last trek into the Blightlands, the army of Rathfall discovered a long abandoned research lab that had been absorbed into the blight. The land having been temporarily cleared of the Blight, we formed a committee dedicated to exploring and recovering the research, materials, and magics left behind. Unfortunately we have hit a snag of sorts. Our preliminary scouting party, a group called the Hellions, has gone missing after a few days in the building. We do not wish to risk more lives than we need to. Therefore I must now regrettably ask for your help in this endeavor. As unbounded, death does not hold you as it does us. Once again we call upon you for aid. We will compensate you for your time and energy of course. This could be vital to understanding the Blightlands and how to drive them back permanently. The portal will open in two weeks time, on Decco the 11th.

Master Mistweaver Jonas, the Mistbreaker

P.S. Please let us know what supplies, accommodations, etc. that will be needed to house you and yours.

Master Jonas,

I can't speak for anyone else, as I'm much a stranger to your lands as I am to Gavaria but I will offer aid where I can. From what I know, we'll need a staging ground of either a large building or large tent, then accommodations for us with enough food and drink for a number of days to get in and out. From what little I know of the Blightlands it seems to remind me of lands similarly...corrupted but I certainly would rather traverse Corrupted lands over these Blighted lands.

I'll see you in a few weeks, and hopefully others will as well.

Lord Asher Oakheart
Warden of the Crimson Crescent
Druid of Serenity Among Discord

Master Mistweaver Jonas,

It will be a delight to see you again and once again aid the Mistweavers in finding the Hellions. Will there be an opportunity to travel from the Blightlands to Rathfall proper?

I would like to seek an audience with his Grace the Grandduke as previously agreed upon last year. I also if time permits would like to make use of your circle of power for ritual casting, if you would be so amenable. In addition I would be delighted to follow-up on our prior conversation about the solar system of the Grimere Expanse.

Sincerely,
Baroness FallingStar

Lord Oakheart,

I believe that you will be overjoyed to hear that a base camp has already been established. Bunks, a small tented mess hall, and research equipment have already been installed outside the installation. We should have plenty of basic supplies to feed and house an extra 100 people or so. However I will freely admit our cooks are not the best trained and could use some sharpening of their skills if any the unbounded wish to lend their aid. Additionally, the Blight in these lands has been temporarily staved off, I can go into details about the process in person but suffice to say that the latent effects of the Blight will do you no harm in the immediate area.

Baroness FallingStar,

First a congratulations are in order for your new title, I hope that you are able to live up to the expectations of your people and those who have granted you this great burden of responsibility. Not that I have any doubt of your skills to do so. Leadership is a yoke that not many can handle to bear. Now to answer your inquiries. Travel between the base and Rathfall proper is possible, albeit a bit long. If you do not wish to be afoot for many hours a ritual to aid your speed or to move you instantly from one circle to another will be needed. As to your meeting with Archduke Rumil, I need not remind you that dropping in on a monarch unannounced is ill advised. There is no Mistportal here, as that would be a great expense for a temporary excursion. As to access to my circle, I have been spell crafting my own circle as needed here. I do not see any reason to create permanent circles for the limited time we will be here. If you do not have the scroll for this I'm sure one can be loaned out to you. Although your necessity for an Earth circle to ressurrect could be a problem. One I will look into, perhaps I have enough time to create a new scroll that is spell craftable. And of course I would be willing to talk to you about our night sky, I am not an astronomer by trade but my connections to celestial magics often draw my eye to the beauty of the night sky.

To the other unbounded, please continue to reach out to me with questions.

Master Mistweaver Jonas

Mistweaver,

I appreciate your reply and the accommodations laid for this task.

Asher

Master Mistweaver Jonas,

This request is well-received and I am sure many adventurers will flock to your call - the members of this community are ever willing to assist those in need.

In regard to this facility, what manner of research was being conducted, by whom, and for what period of time? You said it was absorbed by the Blight, is that a natural occurrence in these wasted lands or something particular to this facility? I have gathered from gossip and innuendo that the Blight can grow and recede in an organic manner--though whether this is true "life" or merely mimicry is disputed--and so I would like to better understand how this swath of Blight came to overwhelm the facility and then, recently, withdrew. To that matter, how is the Blight forced into retreat? A map or schematic of the grounds, details on personnel, both lay and professional, an understanding of its defenses and makeup, as well as any other pertinent information would be appreciated.

Similarly, would you be willing to explain more of the Hellions and their make-up that we might understand who they are and why they might not have returned? I expect part of our mandate is rescuing (perhaps retrieving) them and their effects.

Finally, is this expedition being conducted under the auspice of the Mistweaver consortium, House Rumil, the High Council proper? In the same vein, who will be the leading authority on site acting as liaison and representative of the city of Rathfall. Pardon my ignorance if I misname the differing groups, I merely wish to understand who is patroning this expedition and under which banner the invited citizens of Prademar and Gavaria will be protected.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
Keeper Hartsboon,

This research was on the very edge of the Blightlands over 200 years ago, its purpose was the ascertain a myriad of aspects about the Blight. Back in those days, travel to a from distant places was not as easy and so information was not shared as readily. This is the reason that we wish to reclaim this facility, it will hopefully contain enough information to help us understand what they had accomplished and what happened to them. This facility went silent some 200 years back, then the Blight crept in before we were able to recover anything from the building, in fact it had been mostly forgotten until the most recent expedition of Archduke Rumil's Army last Autumn. The Blight has not receded in this area, but has been temporarily suppressed thanks to our efforts. I will not go into details here, but will be more than willing to explain the process in person. As for information about the site and it's personnel, that is what the Hellions were attempting to collect and information we desperately need. Aside from the grounds and what we can see from the surface, we have little information about the Research Base. That's what we hope you and the other unbounded will be able to ascertain. The Hellions are a group of professional scouts, they specialize in quick infiltrations and information gathering. Typically they move near important areas, set up for Mist travel, then retreat. They are not incredibly skilled combatants, but could give any common house-guard a solid beating if necessary. The fact that none of them escaped has led me to shut down the current exploration of the building. Finally, to your point on the politics of this situation. The Mistweavers have been given the authority on this site, House Rumil has recognized our expertise and previous ownership of this Base. However, they are still funding this expedition as they are quite interested in the workings of the Blight, it is the greatest threat to civilized life afterall. I am the leading researcher on-site currently. There are a few other Master Weavers who are interested in joining this endeavor but I will retain leadership unless one of my seniors wishes to take over, or if House Rumil sends a notification otherwise. As for representing the City, I am not of the Houses of Nobility and cannot speak for Rathfall itself. Perhaps the draw of the presence of unbounded will bring forth the Nobility to the edge of civilization. Do remember that the Mistweavers are part of the Triumvirate, although we do not persecute or handle matters of justice normally, we are a third of the political power of Rathfall. We will do what is necessary to keep order in our camp.

Thank you for your time,

Master Mistweaver Jonas

Master Mistweaver Jonas,

Thank you for the congratulations on my new station. I have had much support from my friends and allies, I hope that I can continue to serve the people I protect and the Kingdom of Wayside many years into the future.

As for stargazing and mapping, I shall bring some additional tools for cataloging as time and weather permits. I am looking forward to comparing Prademar and Rathfall's stellar neighborhoods. Prademar and Gavaria will be having a total lunar eclipse on the full moon this coming Tuesday in the small hours of the morning. Is that also true for Rathfall?

How far is the Research base from Rathfall? Is it within the ride of horses over several hours, or more akin to several days along secured paths through the Blightlands? I do not have in my possession Spirit Walk scrolls to hasen my journey. And if possible I feel honor bound to advise House Rumil of further diplomatic progress between our two Nations, even if by missive. I said that next time I was in Rathfall that I would make every effort to continue the process. Therefore any assistance or advice in this matter you can provide would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Baroness FallingStar

Baroness Fallingstar,

As to a lunar eclipse, I do not know what you mean. The moon has never been blocked from its full light in the Grimere Expanse. The sun has certainty been intercepted by the path of the moon in the past, but never vice versa. Does your sun pass between your planet and its celestial satellite? That sounds quite dangerous and I see why you are concerned for the two Mist spheres you have mentioned.

As to the distance, it is a good days ride on horseback, although horses tend not to do well outside the city walls. Inside the blight even the most well trained horses are unreliable and skittish. I do not currently have a circle walk at the base, although one may be able to be created for you should you wish it. Since resources are scarce it would cost us a premium to create with such short notice. To be frank, we are asking for your help in a specific task, and distractions from that could be costly for us as well.

Master Weaver Jonas

Master Mistweaver Jonas,

Twice you have mentioned you can create dragonscript, do you have this ability? What is the process?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Keeper Dramthin,

I have mentioned that I can create dragonscript as I indeed can. They do have to come from somewhere. The process to create them is long, tedious, and is full of expensive and volatile materials. I could give you a crash course on their creation if you have a few years to devote to the cause. I have lived 263 years, 150 of them have been devoted to learning how to make scrolls. Suffice to say it is no easy task.

Master Weaver Jonas

Back