A challenge is issued

Jesse Grabowski

Squire
Marshal
To all who can see this dream realm,

I plan to remove Sark as Vysen. After further discussion with some of you and my shamans, it is obvious that he has used foul magic to control Anarchy last year and possibly the Huntsman this year. He is no longer the Sark he once was. He has turned into something quite different. Who knows what he can accomplish with his dark energies gained from unknown origins. He has been a powerful ally for the people of the Howling Woods, but his ways must come to an end.

The only way for me to remove him as Vysen is to challenge him to the Kas'reen, a ritual combat between the both of us. I do so now.

Sark, we will meet this Friday night at 10 bells in New Acarthia in front of witnesses of both the tribes of the Howling Woods and the Acarthians.

I summon Azug of the Chosen, Nogra of the Gnarltusk to witness the Kas'reen.

Let me win in glory or die with honor.

Chieftain Dargok

Thousand Bones of the Bleeding Eye will be there to observe.

Bones worries that Sark will use his villainy and underhanded ways to win this fight. Bones worries that if Dargok looses, and does not come back through the circle, that the Howling Woods will be plunged into chaos without their leader. Or even worse, if Dargok falls... that Sark will take over as the chieftain of the woods. Bones has much to discuss with Azug, Nogra, and Dargok.

Thousand Bones
Chieftain of the Bleeding Eye

Dargok,

Why come to our lands to issue this challenge? While I am not a noble of Acarthia and cannot speak on its behalf, keep howling woods business in the howling woods! You want to challenge Sark, great, but clean up your own mess in your own lands. If you wish to treat with us, we have a place created where we may talk, its called the Annex. Do not invite that monster and his minions into our lands. It is disrespectful and will only cause issues for us. Trouble always comes with Sark, to invite him to our lands without our permission, this makes no sense.

Go away Dargok. Handle your own issues in your own lands. If you wish to treat with us, ask permission, do not tell us what you shall do in our lands. Do not invite our enemies to our towns. Do not come here again, stay on your side of the border.

Squire Kendrick Eisenhal

Squire Kendrick Eisenhal,

I remind you that what you Acarthians claim as an annex to your lands IS within the Howling Woods. First you Acarthians claimed it, along with your war. Now the plants and the dryads claim it, and it is overrun with plant life - no doubt another Acarthian-caused problem. We will ask as much permission to enter your lands as you ask of ours.

Which is it to be, peace and alliance, or more Acarthian claims on the Howling Woods? Do you speak for all your people, squire? Think carefully on your answer because we care more about your swords and your mouths than the color of your belt. Barons of your land and your betters have worked hard to create the tentative peace we have now. Do you wish to be sung in Acarthian history as the squire who started the Second War of a Thousand Skirmishes? Because you stand over kindling with flint and steel.

Baron of Rivervale, I call on your smooth dealing to silence this whelp before he causes damage that even your silver tongue cannot undo. Tread carefully.

Nogra
Shaman of the Gnarltusk Clan

I think I was clear in my original dreaming that I was not speaking for Acarthia. As for standing over kindling with flint and steel, inviting Sark into our lands for a "duel" is more of a danger than my words. Stay on your side of the border with this engagement.

By my hand,
Squire Kendrick

Nogra,

Remind me who won the first War of A Thousand Skirmishes? And this time, your "Dargok the Unkillable" is so mighty that he can be taken down by a single half-sober Dwarf. I'm not sure that threats are your path forward, here. I cannot say that I care if Dargok and Sark do their laundry at home, or for our audience, but listening to Squire Kendrick's words is a far wiser thing than judging them for the current color of his belt. I know you are a prideful people, but please remember when next you decide to chastise or threaten him that, regardless of what authority he has to speak for Acarthia or Rivervale, there are those he does have the right to speak for, and they may well hold you personally responsible for how he is treated.

Signed,
No One of Importance.

P.S. As the learned and wise keeper of lore that you are... what are the requirements to make this Kas'reen challenge? Just in case someone wants a shot at the winner.

If I am to understand this situation correctly Dargok has finally figured out that the right hand hobgoblin he installed into power (moments after admitting that he might have dropped a series of boulders on the Gnarltusk deligation thus weakening the Howling Woods as a whole) is a traitorous lout. It's only taken the better part of a year for Dargok to decide that after Sark has been rifting about and becoming bosompals with Dreadrot's two favorite toys, using strange magic to enslave people and attempting rituals to empower a death knight that maybe he made a bad choice and now he's going to fix it by challenging him to ritual combat. Nevermind that Sark seems to have zero respect for your rules or culture.
Ten years ago I would have given my left side burn to be present for your permanent death, I dreamed about it each time one of my comrades passed on to the Last Road. Today that would have no value for either of our people. The Howling Woods need you to unite them in wisdom and to hopefully work with the Acarthians to mend the wounds of our previous conflict. Do not walk into this expecting honor from him, he will not follow your rules. He will not be open about how he cheats you out of your final breath, you will not see the poison or foul magic, but you will have opened yourself up to it.
I implore you to be the person we on the other side of the war thought you were, unstoppable in combat, unmatched in tactical wit. Forgoe this duel, find what filth pile he sleeps in, rally your loyal troops, and put him down like a dog. If you want allies for the fight I'm sure you can find them in Acarthia, no knight worth their belt will shy away from combat a beast who commands death knights.
Necromancers deserve no honor, no respect, no quarter. Give him none.

Signed,
A former enemy who is someone of even less import.

Back