A consequence of action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tengu searches the Earth Enclave in Calenhelm, knowing that if Hezekiah were to be found it would likely be with his nose in a book somewhere.

Hezekiah journeyed to The Glades after the strange trip to the Other Realm. He only just returned after hearing about the destruction of the Reach. He is easily found tending to the wounded at the Earth enclave.

Tengu, seeing that the wounded are being adequately cared for and none are in serious need of treatment, approaches the Tari'Nor. "Hezekiah, may I have a few moments of your time? By now you have likely heard that Parson's Breach is no more, I felt it would be prudent to apprise you of all that occurred over the days leading up to the approach of the Conflagration."

Hezekiah takes a long, deep breath before wiping his hands on a cloth and turning to faced Tengu.

"I have heard...some things," he says, his face carefully neutral.

Noticing Hezekiah's neutral expression Tengu begins by explaining the events of importance. "Well, of particular interest there is the matter of the city library, the Lux Obscura, having been raised from beneath the earth with enough protectives to hopefully ensure its safety. Following the destruction of the Breach by an ancient red dragon, known to me only as the Conflagration, most made it to safety through the portal though the portal collapsed as the last of us came through. Unfortunately Master Isawda was not around, my hope is that he is somewhere safe. Aezir departed immediately, likely to search for survivors, while Talon and myself reported to the Fatespinner and brought what had been saved of the Earth Circle's resources. Stig, unfortunately, was not among those who came through the portal. It is my hope that he and many of the local population made it to the safety of the Lux."

"Apparently a group from the Breach has been involved with it for the past few years, during which time they were calling it Ironroot. There are six guardians who have been protecting it for hundreds of years, a mix of races, but they decided that the time had come for others to make use of the knowledge contained within. The Lux, to answer your question, is a library of ancient knowledge the size of a city." Tengu stops, waiting for the information to sink in, knowing that Hezekiah would likely be very excited by knowing of such a place.

Hezekiah nodded slowly. "Thank you for explaining. I would have liked to see that."

His face, however, remained carefully blank and distant. "Is there anything else you require Adept?"

"I felt you would be interested in knowing the outcome of my trial as that you were amongst the most vocal against me. Just so you know I do not hold anything against you for standing witness against me, I have always held respect for those who follow through in their beliefs with conviction even when they do not align with my own."

"In short, I was executed. Interestingly the only people who wished to see me charged were you, Percy, and Daen with Hamish leading. All others, even Ariana, told me either before or after that they could understand where I was coming from. I do understand why you felt so angered by my actions but you must also understand that from my perspective those who stood against the nobles of that land were in the wrong."

The mask slipped a bit. "Obviously you do not understand."

Hezekiah stepped closer. "The others didn't see what *I* saw.

"You know, if you had left it at paralysing Percy, that would have been one thing. That at least could *maybe* be justified.

"But no. You dropped him. Then you stepped away from the Emperor you were 'protecting'. You moved to KILL."

Hezekiah's face was one of disgust. "He was already out of the fight. You moved to END. HIS LIFE."

"You cannot justify that. Not with me. I see no RATIONAL reason to do that.

"Percival was our ally! We had been grooming him to join the circle! And even without that, do you know how many LIVES he's saved?"

Hezekiah was seething with anger now. "Do you even KNOW what you did? When we go into a fight do you know what gets us back out?"

The cold returned. "Trust, Tengu. Trust that our allies will not turn and kill us. Will not stab us from behind. There's a lot of people in the Breach I felt I could trust.

"You were one of them. And now you are not."

Arching a single feathered brow, not unnerved in the least, Tengu responds, "In that moment you were all allies of a Dragon Lord in direct conflict with the nobility of the land, acting under the assumed personas of those they believed could be trusted, in essence doppelgangers with treasonous intent. I will never apologize for the actions I undertook in that realm and, if such an occurrence were to happen again I would act in the same manner. Trust me, if any of you ever ally with Al'Zoon I will drop you faster than you can incant a Spell Shield. Having spoken with others you are one of the few who do not trust me based on those actions but vice versa, how can I trust those who would act so recklessly in order to take the easiest path to getting what they want irregardless of who is harmed in the process? You were somewhat new to the Breach, having not seen the adverse effects of previous actions. I am able to fix memories but alas, I cannot fix stupid. If you wish for a clearer image of opinion on what has occurred than what your clouded eyes perceive then speak with your allies over the winter. I will not be here, there are more important matters to attend to. With that I bid you farewell." Turning to leave, as an afterthought he turns again and says, "In the future if you do not wish to call me by name you may call me by Watcher, not Adept. Quite possibly soon to be Executor." And with that he leaves the room.

Hezekiah watches him go. "Executor is right. Thanks for the lesson. Never trust those for whom murder comes easy." He returns to his work of helping people.

- End -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back