A Couple Of Crossbow Questions...

Vryan

Rogue
Alliance General Manager
New Hampshire Staff
Hello all, I have a couple of questions about Crossbows. I've always kind of wanted to take up archery, but I don't like having a blocker that I can't attack with. This got me considering the idea of Crossbows, and how to do it while still keeping my two weapons that I can attack with. Here are a few questions I've come up with;

- Is it "safe" to have a crossbow attached to a string that is attached to your belt? This would be used to drop the crossbow for quick access to other weapons, without actually having to drop the crossbow onto the ground.

- Can you used Closed Cell Foam on the crossbow phys rep, or can you only use open cell foam? Closed Cell Foam seems like it could give the crossbow better stability, especially for the grip, while still maintaining safeness.

- Would it be possible to attach very small and thin metal rings (like tag rings) to the side of the crossbow so you have a place to hold arrows? Or even Closed Cell Foam loops?

- Are Hand-Crossbows legal crossbows that are just considered light crossbows with a base damage of 3?

- Does anyone have any pictures of NERO crossbows, so I can get some ideas if I ever decide to pick it up?

Vry_Young_Pup said:
Hello all, I have a couple of questions about Crossbows. I've always kind of wanted to take up archery, but I don't like having a blocker that I can't attack with. This got me considering the idea of Crossbows, and how to do it while still keeping my two weapons that I can attack with. Here are a few questions I've come up with;

- Is it "safe" to have a crossbow attached to a string that is attached to your belt? This would be used to drop the crossbow for quick access to other weapons, without actually having to drop the crossbow onto the ground.

Theoretically, yes, though it's not all that hard to build a crossbow that you can build a belt sheath for.

Vry_Young_Pup said:
- Can you used Closed Cell Foam on the crossbow phys rep, or can you only use open cell foam? Closed Cell Foam seems like it could give the crossbow better stability, especially for the grip, while still maintaining safeness.

Per the rulebook (pg 81) crossbows are made of closed cell foam only.

Vry_Young_Pup said:
- Would it be possible to attach very small and thin metal rings (like tag rings) to the side of the crossbow so you have a place to hold arrows? Or even Closed Cell Foam loops?

I would avoid the tag rings. The closed cell foam loops could work, but I have a crossbow with a cloth sleeve that has elastic sewn on it so that it forms loops that you can slip bolt packets through it.

Vry_Young_Pup said:
- Are Hand-Crossbows legal crossbows that are just considered light crossbows with a base damage of 3?

Yeah, as long as they meet the minimum dimensions for a crossbow.

Vry_Young_Pup said:
- Does anyone have any pictures of NERO crossbows, so I can get some ideas if I ever decide to pick it up?

Yes... but not with me that I can post at the moment. Sorry.

tieran said:
Per the rulebook (pg 81) crossbows are made of closed cell foam only.
Wait, which foam is which? Is the stuff that covers weapons (the black pipe insulation) closed or open cell? I always get confused.

Open cell is the stuff that waylay and thrusting tips are made of.

Closed cell is weapon foam and the blue camp pad foam.

What I have done for crossbows is lay out a roll of camp foam and draw out and cut out the basic shape that I want for the crossbow. Then use the cut out to trace two more copies of it.

Then take the one layer, put carpet tape on it, and stick one of the other layers on to it. Then repeat for the next layer so you have all three layers taped together.

From there the instructions will vary based on how you are making the bow portion of the rep.

Thank you! At first, I was wondering how someone would make a crossbow out of the closed cell pipe foam, so I just passed it off as a mistake in the book. I never even thought about the camping pad foam, now it all makes sense! Thank you, and I look forward to making a crossbow or two!

So no one else has pictures of good crossbows?

I've actually used the open cell as the bow component for a couple crossbows.

For some reason I typed open cell, but meant to type pipe foam...

Vry_Young_Pup said:
At first, I was wondering how someone would make a crossbow out of the closed cell pipe foam, so I just passed it off as a mistake in the book

Simply make a "T" shape out of two pieces of pipe foam. That gives you a very basic crossbow.

Vry_Young_Pup said:
djmeser said:
i made this with a pool noodle and donated it this weekend .
its a heavy crossbow and does base 4 damage
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 430a99.jpg
Sweet! It looks really cool!

Can you post a bigger photo -- I can't see the detail.

It looks like it uses a metalic foil tape. Is that what I am seeing? Is metallic foil tape cosidered safe in all chapters -- I would be afraid of cuts from a metallic foil tape.

I will see if Josh Clark or David Gleaser can post some pictures of a few of the crossbows that Josh has done for personal use or donation to the SoMN chapter...they are pretty sweet.

-Brent

Ondreij said:
It looks like it uses a metalic foil tape. Is that what I am seeing? Is metallic foil tape cosidered safe in all chapters -- I would be afraid of cuts from a metallic foil tape.

It is probably chrome duct tape, not metallic foil tape.

Back