A couple questions

Alavatar

Baron
1. If an alchemist mixes a poison into a drink then that drink is considered to be poisonous to the next imbiber, right? What happens if someone adds another liquid to the drink first? (i.e. I have poisoned Cranberry juice in front of me. If I pour in Grape juice before drinking will the poison still be active?)

2. Is a construct or elemental affected by the carriers Earth or Chaos? What about someone Spirit Stored into a golem? I know golems are traditionally immune to healing and necromancy, but Earth and Chaos are not healing or necromancy, right?

Alavatar said:
1. If an alchemist mixes a poison into a drink then that drink is considered to be poisonous to the next imbiber, right? What happens if someone adds another liquid to the drink first? (i.e. I have poisoned Cranberry juice in front of me. If I pour in Grape juice before drinking will the poison still be active?)
Yes. For the record, the concoction is considered poisonous for all imbibers for the ten minutes following the application of the poison.

2. Is a construct or elemental affected by the carriers Earth or Chaos? What about someone Spirit Stored into a golem? I know golems are traditionally immune to healing and necromancy, but Earth and Chaos are not healing or necromancy, right?
Earth is a Healing group effect. Chaos is a Necromancy group effect. (see pg 60 under the appropriate groups. Earth is listed 9th, Chaos is listed 7th) If you are immune to Healing, you are immune to Earth carrier. If you are immune to Necromancy, you are immune to Chaos. The impact this has on you in an golem body depends on the golem, and the impact this has on an elemental depends on the elemental.

jpariury said:
Alavatar said:
Yes. For the record, the concoction is considered poisonous for all imbibers for the ten minutes following the application of the poison.

What if they put in a different poison? Does this supersede the old poison or are they both now active?

Would, then, the addition of the a poison boost the duration of the first or would multiple timers then be running for each poison added to the brew?

Brad Lewis said:
Would, then, the addition of the a poison boost the duration of the first or would multiple timers then be running for each poison added to the brew?

Multiple timers, unfortunately. The rules are ... not as clean as one could prefer in this case. Which is why you almost never see it happen - things that absolutely require a Marshals' presence to regulate in Alliance games are generally not to be preferred.

-Bryan

Hmm, the potential hillarity of mixing different poisons over the course of 8 minutes and having alchemy theater ensue, as one poison expires and the load that the first person would get hit with...

When casting a ritual you are supposed to designate a target within the first 30 seconds of beginning casting. The only valid target for the Create Construct (Major or Minor) is Physical, meaning it must be an object. But, you are creating the construct so it does not exist until the ritual is cast.

What are you supposed to target, then? Does the Construct materialize when the ritual begins, thus you target the Construct then? Or do you target the Circle of Power to have the Construct created within it? Or do you target the floor/spot where you want the Construct to appear?

The same question applies (I think) to the various Summon <Something> rituals (except Summon Artifact).

Alavatar said:
When casting a ritual you are supposed to designate a target within the first 30 seconds of beginning casting. The only valid target for the Create Construct (Major or Minor) is Physical, meaning it must be an object. But, you are creating the construct so it does not exist until the ritual is cast.

What are you supposed to target, then? Does the Construct materialize when the ritual begins, thus you target the Construct then? Or do you target the Circle of Power to have the Construct created within it? Or do you target the floor/spot where you want the Construct to appear?

The same question applies (I think) to the various Summon <Something> rituals (except Summon Artifact).

In theory you should probably have a phsyrep for the golem/summoned creature (at least tabard and claws/weapons). I'd say that would make a perfectly appropriate target for a golem. As for a summon, the circle seems reasonable as a target.

-Bryan

Thanks for all of the answers, JP and Bryan! :D

Here's another one:

If you have a Circle of Power active and some hoopty being calls for Dragon Magic or some such to Destroy Magic and throws the packet at the Circle, does the packet need to hit the Circle precisely or does landing inside the Circle suffice?

I would argue landing inside the Circle would be sufficient because, IG, the CoP is supposed to be a dome and the packet would hit the wall of CoP.

Hitting generally inside the circle should work, but they also have to specify which school of magic they are attempting to Destroy. If they don't specify, it's a flub. If they specify the wrong one, it's "no effect". Actually heard a story at last event about a BBG in Ashbury who when confronted with a biata with an active CoP around him threw his first one Celestial, and the guy just looked at him like "really? you think so do ya? No effect". Too damn funny.

Oh, and here's one, although I'm sure this would NEVER happen. When Conjuring Artifact, what happens if the caster forgets the name of the artifact and conjures the wrong thing?

That will never cease to be funny btw.

Thanks JP!

I have never looked closely at a Warder Glyph scroll... I know that a Warder Glyph cannot be used to heal. But, can it grant the Gift of Life to a dead person? Or is Life technically healing?

Example: Earth Guild has a Warder Glyph with Life. If someone dies outside the Earth Guild and their body is brought through the Warder Glyph are they affected by the Life spell?

Can a portal have more then one Warder Glyph on it? If yes, do they both have to have the same pass phrase? If yes to the first question, how do you determine the order of effect application?

I think beyond "not healing" the intent is that warder glyphs should not give you a beneficial effect. I'm pretty sure that "gift of life" is not on the scroll as an option, which isn't to say that a plot person couldn't dictate otherwise, but I think that would be against the spirit of the rule rather than technically against it.

~Mark

Alavatar said:
I have never looked closely at a Warder Glyph scroll... I know that a Warder Glyph cannot be used to heal. But, can it grant the Gift of Life to a dead person? Or is Life technically healing?
I'm pretty sure Life isn't a standard effect possible with a Warder Glyph, so that would pretty well nullify the question, but that being said, the general idea is "you cannot directly benefit from passing through a warder glyph". It may be different in extremely limited situations (i.e. modules, or as some critical extension of a plotline), but typically a warder glyph should either cause badness or be nullified.

So, the scroll has a list of effects it can have? It is not like Expanded Enchant where you cast the spell into it?
Correct.

Can a portal have more then one Warder Glyph on it?
Yes.

If yes, do they both have to have the same pass phrase?
No, they can have separate phrases. Generally speaking, you should pass through the portal within 5 seconds of verbalizing the phrase, so you could have five "phrases" that make up a single sentence and pass-through without worry.

If yes to the first question, how do you determine the order of effect application?
Simultaneous if they're both on the same portal, rather than a "layered portal", like three really close portcullises (always thought that should be "portculli", but spellcheck says 'No'). They are three effects that occur at the same time.

This next part I'm a bit fuzzy on, (scroll not on hand, so I'm working off of how I remember it working) so take it with a grain of salt:

Each effect must be taken or nullified separately, even though they occur simultaneously. Even though they all occur at once, you get to pick which effects you want to nullify with which applicable defense.

I.E. - You walk through a doorway with Death, Sleep, 50 Elemental Flame, 20 Elemental Chaos, and 20 Vengeance glyphs on it. You could Spell Shield the Death, Resist the Sleep, Bane the Flame, and soak the 20 Vengeance. You could Spell Shield the Sleep, ignore the Death (because you're in your golem body, right?), ignore the Chaos, Bane the Flame, and soak the Vengeance.

Dumb defenses that could go off must go off, then everything else gets applied as the player chooses.

Back