A difficult homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solveig

Solveig lets out an exhausted sigh as she sits down on the steps of her new home. The previous days had been a blur. After two months of tracking the niding Diggs, she’d come up empty handed. It was devastating, Jinn’s words were still fresh on her mind.
“We are at war, we are a community. We have too many dangers facing us to be killing one another.”
Those words had changed her. In all her life she had never been more than a petty thief. Taking what she could to get by, no family and certainly no place to call home. She shook her head, reminding herself that that wasn’t her anymore.

Coming here... now that was a life changing decision. Now she had made a name for herself, she was a member of the home guard, who would have seen that coming? She has friends, even some she would call family. She had never been more than she was now, and she wasn’t going to take that lightly. This place? The people in it? She’ll stand against any danger for them.
She nods to herself resolutely.

Tears fill her eyes as she thinks back to coming home. It was good to see everyone, Baibh, Sarryn, Ruki, Jinn... too many names to list. Except for two. No Sam and no Ashetri.
Sarryn had filled her in on what happened and she was still in shock. One of the first people to ever see her as more than a street rat was gone. Dead.
She’d heard tell that the one who Sam had given his horn to had been in the woods, she’d try and find him to get the horn. A reminder of who Sam was and who he had helped her become.

After hearing that news she had no time to mourn, for it was off to the realm of hedonism. What a night that was...
Solveig shivers as she recalls all that happened. The anger from Baibh when she stepped forward, and from Sarryn for that matter. Jinn’s voice raised in anger and fear.
An image of standing between Sarryn and Ruki her friend and teacher as that fae approached. Watching Baibh and the others go...
And then... coming through the circle.
She winces as she remember the pain she felt as Hamish’s voice called her back.

“What am awful couple of days.” She says to herself. “But still, it’s good to be home.”

Leaving the cabin and straightening his blood covered clothes Sarryn thinks about how long it will take to get the blood out this time, he might be a lord but his wardrobe is severely lacking in that department. "I am going to have to see how the lands are doing and if I could actually make any money off of them for myself..." he mutters. Seeing Solveig deep in thought he wipes away the excess blood and grime from his hands and what he can from his clothes "Solveig how are you?" sitting down beside her Sarryn casts a couple light spells to keep the darkness of the encroaching night away, he then pulls out a smoke from a pack that surprisingly is not covered in blood "Smoke?" as he lights it with magic and hands it too her.

Taking a deep breath "It has been a rough couple days, I am glad that you were there with me when we sacrificed our lives together, especially after you got the news from me about your crew. It is not something easy to do..." letting his hands drop between his legs and his head hang low, Sarryn lets out a breath "It has been a rough go recently, I know somewhat of what you are feeling... this path that we have chosen at the Lux is not the easy one and I have seen many friends and allies fall over the years. I am glad to have you with us and by my side to help us finish this with Al'zoon"

Solveig gratefully takes the smoke and inhales deeply, thinking back to the night they died. She blushes as she remembers that it wasn’t all bad and glances at the Mjollnir around Sarryn’s neck.
“Glad to see that the hammer survived all of those battles.” She leans back and exhales smoke upwards into the darkening sky.
“I’m glad to be here with all of you, this is home now, I’ll stand against any danger to protect it.”
She smiles at him, watching the shadows dance across his face.

Looking down at the hammer and fiddling with it "It did survive the battles and I am glad it did" a smile crossing his face "did yours?".

"This is home now and will be until we move again... hopefully we have a few years left before we are on the move again. We have a base we are building at the edge of the Dark Reaches and I hope you come with me when we move there."
looking over at Solveig he smiles as he sees her watching him and reaches for her hand to give it a squeeze.

She squeezes back and smiles.
“I could be convinced to go there with you. Although I hope we can stay here for a good stretch. It’s the first home I’ve had.”
She grins as her hand reaches up to the mjollnir around her neck. “It did indeed survive... I must say, I was surprised that you gave me one so quickly...”
She chuckles as she recalls Thorgeir’s involvement in the flirting incident. “F******* Baibh.”

"Well this is a good place for a first home, friends and people you can trust around" looking over as Solveig plays with the mjolnir "I am glad it survived as well and why do you say that you are surprised I gave you one so quickly?"
Laughing at the comment about Baibh "Ya ******* Baibh, he told me to put you down on the ground and that would be a good way to show you my... feelings, hehehe" "I am glad Thorgeir was able to give me one to give to you instead of putting you down... again"

“Again you say?” She scoffs at him. “I’d have an easy time putting you down if I was armed and you weren’t.”
She shoves him playfully and sighs, trying to decide how to explain about the mjollnir. Is it possible he doesn’t know what they mean? She thinks to herself.
“And as for the Mjollnir... well, in my tribe, when a woman craves the attention of a man, she gives him a mjollnir so he knows he has her consent to pursue her.” She sighs, realizing that by the look on his face, Sarryn has no idea about the tradition. She sighs sadly, realizing that she may have gotten the wrong impression.
“And if the man gives her one in return, it is to show his intent to wed her....” she trails off and stares off into the night.

Pulling Solveig close and kissing her "I had gathered as much after digging around a bit after I gave it to you and speaking with Baibh about your traditions, and as for taking me out without my weapons" magic flaring to his fingers "We could see what would happen, I would welcome the fight and result from it. Could get the blood flowing and keep us both sharp and who knows maybe you'll be the one carrying me back to the house." Grinning and kissing her again before settling in beside he with his arm wrapped around her waist.

Solveig sighs happily and leans into his chest.
“You know.” She says softly, looking up into his eyes affectionately. “Your magic....” she whispers as she puts her mouth near his ear. “Only works if I don’t cut your tongue out!”
She jabs her fingers into his ribs as she bursts out in raucous laughter.

Laughing along with Solveig "You've got me there it would stop me for sure, you would just need to find a way to cut it out" being a bit of a brat Sarryn sticks his toungue out at Solveig and wiggles it.

Heavy footfalls signal another person walking to the door of the home within the Lux, the sound of the door opening is met by a grunt and a thick gob of spit as Baibh steps out onto the small balcony. "You two love birds goin at again, or do I need to go in and get you some blades to warm up with first?" He says with a ****-eating grin as he steps to the side, leans on the railing and lights a smoke.

After a few moments of silence waiting for an expected reaction he exclaims, "Dying is a funny thing ain't it. Here we fight harder then most in the realm in the shadows and corners where no one else will look, and when we go down there's no fanfare or celebration.. you're just.. almost expected to be in that circle." He pauses to take a long drag of his smoke before continuing, "The fact that six of us went down to shut down that realm isn't even a story that'll be passed on to people in the world. I get why we're doing it but sometimes I feel the farther away I travel from my life of the last few years, the closer I come to being that man."

Solveig jumps at the sound of Baibh’s approach.
“F*** sakes Baibh! A little warning next time!” She leans back to look at her old friend. They’d been through a lot together, she trusted him above all others. As he spoke, she thought about how it felt when she saw him come through the circle after her. She recalled the pain of coming back and the greater pain of seeing that he had fallen as well.

“Well, you know Baibh, we have many scholars here. Perhaps our stories will be written, maybe not. Either way, I know how hard you fought that night, and I’ll never forget it.” She sighs, knowing the life he’s led. “I’m glad you’re here with us Baibh.”

Laughing and ending with a bit of a snort as his new friend pokes fun at him he pulls out his dagger giving him a bit of a poke with one. "Don't need blades to warm up, at least not right now"

Sighing at Baibh's last comment "It's true I have seen many friends pass through that circle and it is as if its expected of us to go through there one by one until we don't come back... there are not many of us around that remember the fallen, they aren't written anywhere that I have seen yet but they are in our memories and in the stories that we share. Who knows maybe one day our stories will be written down and our deaths and the blood we have given up for this land will mean something" rubbing his left arm as he finishes remembering every single cut on that arm for these realms that we go in and out of so easily. "All I know is that I don't plan on having us go down like that again. With you two here I see a upswing in our chances at success I've seen you both fight and the passion that is there we just need a lucky break"

Solveig smiles at Sarryn. “I’m glad you think we raise the chances of success. I like to think that Baibh and I are rather helpful. Did you hear about how many of those sex slaves he killed?” She glances at Baibh, remembering that night. After the Fey had finished with them they were barely more than empty shells. Then Orcelion ordered them to kill their friends. She frowns as she remembers walking up that hill towards Baibh, sword in hand and tears in her eyes.
“I’m really glad that Mal was able to purify me once you’d put me down Baibh.”
She sighs heavily and hangs her head in shame.

"It's nothing to think on negatively. If thing's hadn't gone the way they had then we'd still be dealing with all of the realms rather then having one finally closed." Baibh says with a sad smile to Solveig, taking another drag of his smoke.

He then turns to Sarryn and notes, "I don't think it's us that tipped the scales that night, I think it was desperation and a need to get the job done. Calandonia has been drowning in a sea of corruption for a long time that gets in the way of most people's day to day lives. I'm just hoping that when we're faced with the next impossible task that we rise to the occasion better then we did in Orcelion's."

Solveig smiles at her friend. Nodding along as he speaks.
“I will keep training to do better, may not be the most useful in a fight, but if there’s a trap? I’m your girl.” She says as she pats her tool kit.

Several days had passed in a blur. Solveig had been very busy, setting up the house and even welcoming a new addition. It seemed like new people were showing up in the Lux in droves.
She chuckled to herself as she remembers back to when she was new at the Lux. Scared out of her mind and so far from all she’d known.
She smiles as she remembers how kind everyone had been. Jinn, giving her a place to sleep. Ruki, teaching her his craft as Baibh tormented him.
Her hand closes around the horn hanging from her neck, thinking of Samuel. She’d lost many people in her life, but that one stung.

She sighs as she sets up the new girls room. The house had felt empty with Baibh and Sarryn gone. Barra was always around but he was either drunk, or angry because he wasn’t. Judas was always outside working on the garden and kissing trees. Or tormenting Barra. She laughs. “What an odd pair” she thinks to herself.

Having finished her tasks for the day she heads out to sit on the deck and smoke.
She frowns as she lights her smoke, wondering why Sarryn hasn’t written back. He had told her he would send word when he was on his way back. But so far nothing, and it had nearly been a month.
Baibh was on his way back, she knew that. Tough old bastard doesn’t waste time.
She sighs deeply as she leans back, looking out towards the tavern.
“He’ll be back...” she mutters to herself, half believing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back