A disturbance is felt in the dreaming

ecrath

Scholar
Chicago Staff
EVTAANTVGEVBAQRAPEYIVEEQENQUALNENBPATVAYNUROEVIHARFHOBCJEMQEXEQBUNTVEMYQIFKEDXGESBUAGETIYAHOYQIHAXWHQEXVGEVTAQBEJEMHAVGERVNIPEMHNBNUEPENAHPUNANUUTMIMTATAQBEJEMHGETGIMNITBBWEWNBQAEQTOTBOBDAFXNBJR

Ah, more ciphers. A transposition perhaps? Someone is either wildly absurd or having fun at our expense - perhaps both. Could a Ritualist with knowledge of Universal Speech dragonscript Dream up a solution?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

If it's a transposition cypher, then there has to be a keyword that we can use to translate. Has there been a word that has been common place among these messages that anyone can think that might be the keyword?

Lorelei Beinae ☆

There have been other such ciphers spread through the Dreaming recently. They are allegedly from "Bizzyfang" a self-stylized "interdimensional counterpart" to the Master Celestialist Fizzybyang BASSSDRAWP, but verification has been impossible. A single message was received early 320, but nothing thereafter until just recently.

The previous two messages were encoded using systems easily broken, but this third appears either trickier or locked for a specific person with the key. If Bizzyfang is somehow related to Master BASSSDRAWP, I would think the Solars Guild would be the most knowledgeable though they have been silent on the matter. If there is a keyword, I suspect it would be either known or held by that organization.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Headmaster Hartsboon and Lorelei,

I am unsure if the ciphers presented by Bizzyfang via the Dreaming are a result of the transdimentional nature of his realm, or if there is something else at play. It is possible to use other methods to communicate across even mist shards on our Sphere that have been closed or sealed; given enough preparation and concentration. I suspect that if the coded message is not a result of the transdimentional seal shard, it might be a test of admittance.

If we can decipher the message that might act as the key requirement to enter the sealed shard where Bizzyfang resides. We still have precious little information on why Master Fizzybang was taken and how the splintered shards of the Solar Vassil are connected. Is there some else at play or was this merely a side effect of when Master Fizzybang was drawn into the shard? Did the backlash happen because of someone from the shard drawing him in? Or did it happen as a side effect? Allowing for his abduction? Who drew him forth and their motives?

Also, do we all posess transdimentional counterparts? Or are we singular as we as those with Adventurer spirits can pass from realm to realm? So many questions, not enough answers.

Matron FallingStar

Headmaster Hartsboon and Lady FallingStar,

May I ask how the other cypher like this one was translated? Maybe it will give a hint.

Lorelei

Goodfolk Beinae - I believe the first message from 320 was a simple substitution cipher and decoded by standard brute force: letter frequency and linguistic logic. The message from last week, decoded by Master Voda, was a Morse cipher and, being a well known semaphore, was easily translated. Both previous ciphers were simple and neither required a Key. If this message is a transposition cipher, it cannot be unlocked without specific knowledge. Certainly, there are brute force methods to break a transcription cipher, but they are arduous and as much based on luck as skill.

Lady Fallingstar - You and I traversed mirror-realms in Dragonreach and even a few times here in Praedmar. The Graveyard has the Spiritual reflections of heroes from outside our experience and both the Aether and Fae is awash in glimpses and glimmers of what has, could, or might be. Fortannis is vast and ineffable. That being said, we need not leap into every shimmering pool or pull every beguiling lever. Some crypts should be left closed.

This could be meaningless spectral noise. Or, given the well-known personality of Master BASSSDRAWP, it could be a attempt to draw attention for his own amusement. I have no position in the Solar's Guild but I have heard he is not well liked and was recently passed over for promotion.

Most to the point, if this is the result of actions taken by the Solar's Guild, should not their members respond herein? I am loathe to meddle in the way of Celestial Magics beyond my ken especially when the penalties for unsanctioned Ritual Magic or actions which threaten the Kingdom are severe.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

<AEIOUYBCDFGHJKLMNPQRSTVWX> is carved into one of the tables at the Flaming Skull

Ah Hai! Another clue! Hmmmm....I think I am starting to see what this is....

I am thinking that this is a two square horizontal transposition cypher.

So where this key is good, we are going to need another to get it right......what was the alphabet for the former substitution cypher, maybe that is the other key....

So where this key is good, we are going to need another to get it right......what was the alphabet for the former substitution cypher, maybe that is the other key....
The first one was a simple substitution cipher.

Matron FallingStar

Yes, I understand that. But with a substitution cypher, an alphabet is created. Example

A=T
B=K
C=H

So the regular alphabet would go ABC, the new alphabet would go TKH. If you notice the recent keyword is the alphabet but rearranged and missing the Z. I was wondering if the alphabet created by the old cypher might be the second key but after playing with it between tasks, I am starting to think that it's not.

IT SEEM V THAT COMMUNICATION EN ROUGN ENBMIVTAY REQUITE JUMBLED CJANNOT UNDERVTAND MUCH OF WHAT YAU HAVE YAKED ME JUST KNOV XHAT VOMBEHING IS HAPXPENING NBREINENEGRIMERE EXPANSE SOMBEHING HAS HAPPETBD TO TNB MOON WETBEDYOFXNBLP

It's jumbled, but It's still slightly legible.

IT SEEM V THAT COMMUNICATION EN ROUGN ENBMIVTAY REQUITE JUMBLED CJANNOT UNDERVTAND MUCH OF WHAT YAU HAVE YAKED ME JUST KNOV XHAT VOMBEHING IS HAPXPENING NBREINENEGRIMERE EXPANSE SOMBEHING HAS HAPPETBD TO TNB MOON WETBEDYOFXNBLP

Thank You.
What method did you use to decipher this?

Matron FallingStar

Ditto-ing the remark of Matron FallingStar, thank you, and I would also hope to learn the deciphering method so we can have more heads to put together should something similar happen.

To be frank, I was getting frustrated. I sat down with some apprentices in the Celestial guild hall and was making them test key variations on anything I could think of, using the one key given and trying to find the second.

The answer was using the same key twice...

So it was a two square cipher....but used the same key twice?.....I feel so dumb. I should have gotten that sooner. I have failed my tutors.

It appears that the intricacies of this new form of communication between mist spheres are exceptionally difficult to navigate. I believe that I have accounted for my previous miscalculations and now stabilized a connection, although I do not have an adequate amount of data to be certain how long it will last.

-Bizzyfang Tenoryse

Bizzyfang Tenoryse,

It is a relief to finally communicate over the shards of the mists clearly. Although I have a plethora of questions. There are few pressing ones, I hope to speak to you in person about the other theories I have.

What threats await us when we travel to your lands?
Do you know what caused Fizzybang to be drawn to your shard?
What happened to the moon?

Thank you,
Matron FallingStar

Bizzyfang Tenoryse,

It is a relief to finally communicate over the shards of the mists clearly. Although I have a plethora of questions. There are few pressing ones, I hope to speak to you in person about the other theories I have.

What threats await us when we travel to your lands?
Do you know what caused Fizzybang to be drawn to your shard?
What happened to the moon?

Matron FallingStar, it is encouraging to have confirmation of successful communication. I am sure that you have an exorbitant number of queries which can be answered in due time. However at the moment I can speak to your immediate requests for information. In regards to threats, the presence of Fizzybang within our mist sphere has disrupted equilibrium to such an extent that apparently now even our moon is being affected. As to exactly what is happening to it, that is where an investigation led with your assistance would likely prove quite beneficial- as of the moment, I have no substantial hypothesis as to what is happening. But it is changing. I don't know why Fizzybang is here, but it would be beneficial to everyone if you would please take him back with you.

-Bizzyfang

Back