A drink while waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phalaenopsis stared at Calan in slight bewilderment for a moment; they'd met before, Phal had helped him get around while he was blind several times, and even remembered his first mask, long before either of them had horns... A dozen thoughts ran through is mind as Billin mentioned that Morrigan had said something about this; even Amnesia didn't make someone lose entire people out of their memory like this, and it wasn't that he'd changed a lot, since Calan didn't remember Billin, who had barely changed at all. He plastered a smile on his face as quickly as he could, and resumed his cheerful attitude.

"I'm Phalaenopsis, which is kind of a mouthful, so however you'd like to shorten it is fine." he said, "And thanks, I grew them myself; I like yours, too." Phal tapped one of his own horns as a 'cheers' gesture, which illicited a sharp inhale and a slow exhale in response. "They're... still a bit sensitive, though much less now than a few months ago."

"I just came here because I needed a break from libraries and toxic plants, and Morrigan and Billin were kind enough to let me join their table; although now I'm very interested in this urn and dragon business." He bridged his fingers and placed his elbows on the table, resting his chin on his knuckles and staring oddly intently at the blacksmith. "Please continue."

"Of course you can join us, the business is taken care of for now, Morrigan has been catching me up on a few things." Billin says to Calan. Turning to Phal he continues "I don't know most of it, but what I do know is that this urn is suppose to hold the dragon spirit that is currently in the Mechanical Dragon that is guarding one of the realms of the dark reaches. The plan is to use a powerful alchemical adhesive, I think, to trap the dragon, then an hour long ritual is going to be cast to pull the spirit out and into the urn. Finally the spirit is going to get transferred somehow into a dragon's egg."

Billin takes a the last mouthful of his cup, savoring the taste. "We've been collecting the peices of the urn for some time now, but are missing one. After some research, it was determined that dawnsteel could be used to replace the last peice."

Calan lets out a low whistle. " I too needed a break from the library. My research companion has a healthy thirst." Calan pats the now full wineskin at his hip. "I do somewhat worry that he pushes himself too hard. would any of you know where I could order drink in from Newacrathia? I would like to surprise my friend with some. I polished off the last of his and well I didnt even like it all that much so I feel bad about it." the mention of the dark reaches also sends a shiver up his spine.
" I have recently been to one of these reaches you speak of. it reminded me too much of the place where I fell in battle." the memory of Rohnan running to his aid as the flaming blad of his foe plunges through his chest. "I have to say I look forward to seeing these places closed off from this shard. "

Calan flags down a barkeep getting a mug of ale he raises the mug to his new friends.

"to the closing of the reaches."

Billin raises his new mug as well, "here here!"

"What kind of toxic plants are you dealing with Phalaenopsis?"

Phalaenopsis raised his own mug to join the cheers, perhaps more enthusiastically than necessary, and spilled some ale down the side and onto his hand, but he ignored it, took a deep drink, and set his mug down, letting the slopped ale run down his hand and drip onto the table. "That sounds fascinating, even though I only understood about half of it." Phalaenopsis said, looking at Billin, "So I look forward to seeing the finished piece, dragon soul or no."

"As far as your research companion, Calan, I'm going to guess you mean Jinn? He's taking a lot onto his plate lately, and according to Ruki he's blaming himself for a lot of things going wrong. It's unfortunate that he's decided that anything that goes wrong in the Reaches is somehow his fault." Phalaenopsis tilted his head to the left before continuing, "But... If he's drinking more than his usual amount, you might want to drag him out of the library now and then to relax a little. Maybe go see Miss Yetta, or her protegé? I've also told him repeatedly to come see me if he needs to, but he's yet to take me up on that offer. C'est la vie."

Phalaenopsis giggled at Billin's question. "My plants aren't quite so interesting, but I'm currently taking care of a highly toxic plant until I can distill it into a highly potent poison. It's a bit bothersome to handle, because I need to wear gloves at all times; if you touch it, you'll experience a lot of burning and itchiness, plus there's a very good chance that enough of the toxin will seep into your skin to do even nastier things, especially if you give in and scratch the rash it produces. In high enough quantity, you'd be dead within minutes, and I'm pretty sure you'd need a special antidote to stop it, which... I don't have." he explained, a cheerful smile on his face, "I don't know how I'd make it, either, since this is more potent than anything I've worked with before. It's kind of tempting to keep snips of it for later, but I don't know how many doses I'll be able to make with what I have. The Plane of Plants has some very fascinating things living in it."

Calan nods. "You are correct Phalaenopsis, Jinn is who I was speaking about. you are correct I had tried to explain in my own way that there was no way he could have known what was going to happen would happen. As much as he seemed to drop the subject and agree, I think he only did so for my benefit. I think that it is qualities like that that made up friends in the first place. " Calan smiles at Phalaenopsis he couldn't place why but he felt calm inside looking at this particular Sylvanborn Calan has the faintest memory of a grove and weeping, and an immense amount of responsibility.

"I get the feeling Phalaenopsis that perhaps you might have a bit of that in you too. I think everyone at this table has this in common to some extent or we wouldn't be here." Calan gulps down his beverage. he pulls out his scetch book and begins drawing a picture of Phalaenopsis.

Calan finishes up his drawing. then places a sheet of paper between it and the sheet before it to absorb the ink and not make a mess. he then finishes his drink.

"well, research calls. its been nice talking with you. I look forward to speaking to you all again. "

he then picks up his things and exits the Tavern. he waves to those he had been sitting with as he leaves.

Last edited:
'I have a bit of that in me?' Phalaenopsis thought, 'Huh, well, maybe. But I imagine someone out there would disagree' He smiled and waved as the other Tari-Nor bid his farewells, "I look forward to seeing you, too. Good luck with your research!" He turned back to Billin and Morrigan. "I think it's time I head out, too; my hawks are probably ready for their nightly check-up, and who knows how long it'll take me to find their nests this time." He drained the last of his ale, set his mug down gently, and giggled again. "I do kind of love how much the forest changes from day to day, though. Have a good night, since I probably won't see you until tomorrow. Good luck with your urn, I hope you'll let me see it when it's done." He stood up, and strolled out of the tavern, humming quietly to himself.

Morrigan had quite enjoyed just sitting quietly and listening to her companions converse. It felt normal and friendly. She found her mind quieting and a sense of calm come over as she enjoyed their presence. As Calan and Phal left she said a warm goodbye to both of them, glad they had both stopped by.

Signalling for another round for both of them, she turns to Billin and says "One more drink my friend and then I am likely off to bed. Shall we meet in your forge tomorrow to start brainstorming a plan and doing some tests to see if we can melt Dawnsteel?"

Billin gives a nod to each if his companions as they leave. He smiles as Morrigan orders another round for them. These small moments where friends can gather without the worry of an impending threat are what's worth fighting for.
"That sounds like a grand plan" Billin says, sitting in the comforting quietness that has fallen over the table. Yes, these people and these moments are why he will continue to fight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back