A Familiar Face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobeus

Artisan
Arriving through the Arcane Sanctum Portal, Mobeus slowly makes his way through the bustling hub that is the Lux. His expression is slightly forlorn but manages a simple smile and wave to some of the townsfolk. Making his way quietly and unassuming to the local tavern, he rests himself on a chair and pulls forth a bound book in which he begins to write.

As Mobeus takes a seat Jinn slowly takes his drink and walks over to him. Meeting him over the winter was a pleasure, and a familiar face would be most welcome. Jinn gestures to the seat beside him.

"Greetings Magi" Jinn bows "May I join you?"

"Without a doubt, young Jinn." Mobeus smiles with a hint of irony in his voice, "I am simply going through some old thoughts, trying to get them all down. Never really enough time, and always more enemies at the door." he furrows his brow momentarily before sighing, "This world, seems to have a thing against being peaceful. Between other realms, forces of immense powers, evil beyond understanding, our people's own curious nature and desire for power... it leads to a powderkeg that is entirely cyclical in nature. Do you realize knowledge beyond a certain number of years is almost completely wiped out... heck I am certain knowledge of things even as recently as 6 years ago is mostly forgotten even by our oldest members.."

Stopping himself before he looks to Jinn with a flat tone, "Were you at Parson's Breach... Did you know about the Quest for the Sword... the Elemental Lords under siege by Al'Zoon... do you even know who or what Al'Zoon is? If a good number us were to die tomorrow.. how many of the new could pick up enough pieces to forge ahead..?" he pauses to give Jinn time to answer.

Jinn sets his drink down and pulls out a chair, taking a seat beside the magi. "I totally understand you're desire for a moment of peace. Since picking up this adventuring life I find my self with less and less time spent in the forest, and more and more time in some form of conflict. Mortals and their dive for power... I will never understand it." He sips his drink and thinks for a moment "To answer your question, no I was not at the breach, but I have heard stories. I've also heard whispers of who or what Al'Zoon is, but alas I do not know much of what you speak. The sharing of information doesn't seem to be high on the list of priorities with this group..."

A look of realization washes over Jinn's face "This does beg the question, who would pick up this fight if the ones who hold the knowledge do pass on? I must admit that it doesn't feel like my fight yet..."

Grinning for a moment, "Ahh to want for a simple life, to be able to choose not to fight... It is not in me to convince anyone that a fight is just or well fought or even if one should ever consider picking up arms." he turns for a moment, "It is those times when it is thrust upon you, in the middle of the night, with the terror of losing everything of value to you if you don't stand. It isn't about choice, it is about surviving, maybe you haven't felt the pinch of the impending war... maybe you never will.." he says whispering "Which is my great hope." Mobeus places his left hand on the table, "I am failing you all if I don't leave you the options to fight back, the tools which many others fought to give us." He smiles for a moment, "You may yet still refuse to fight back. However, at least you will have the ability to and all it would take is a little knowledge."

"The priority of retaining knowledge has been a luxury taken for granted, we cannot rely on old heroes to save the day, all our hope lies on people like you... and it actually gladdens me that you believe it isn't your fight yet." flicking his pen for a moment before closing the tome he was writing in with a dull thud, Mobeus nods to the Bartender, who in turn pours him a viridian coloured drink. "It only means our fighting wasn't for nothing."

"This impending war needs people on all fronts, the front line, triage, even keepers of knowledge. We must know who and why we fight, for without those it is just mindless violence. I would gladly accept any information from years passed, for knowing the story that brought us here would only fuel our drive to defeat this evil. I'm sure there are others who have recently join this fight who would feel the same way"

Jinn takes a long drink and sigh's quietly to himself, as a look of sadness comes to his face. "There is a reason I picked up arms, there is a reason I fight. I may not have all the information but this impending war affects people I have grown to care about, so I will fight. But my time for a simple life has passed... and there is a fight I know to be mine... But that is a story for another time. Perhaps one day there will no longer be a need for fighting, and it is a day I hope we can all see together"

Mobeus raises his cup, "I will drink to that..." he drinks the viridian liquid in a gulp placing the glass down before extending his hand over the drink to signify he desires no more beverages. "Stoke the fires, to keep the pass'd torch lit... I just hope there is enough time." he muses, "It would be great for you to meet so many of the people that came before, that gave the ultimate sacrifices to continue our missions, our quests, or even our survival.. maybe I'll be able to give you that chance. Sometimes I feel like I ramble on though and what I think is wisdom falls upon deaf ears and unwanting hearts." placing his hands upon his lower back he stretches slightly, "I am starting to feel the years, even though to this day I am convinced this is another world of deception I arrive in, only to have it destroyed once more..." he looks to Jinn, "But so be it... Someday I will be gone, and there will be little spoken of Magi Mobeus, his fallen home, the Breach, Kara Vale, The Duke, Al'Zoon... and so many more. Might as well speak loud their tales before that future comes to be right?"

"I would be honored to meet those that have come before me. But to even hear their tales would be most welcome. As long as you have me around your words will never fall on deaf ears. My peoples thirst for knowledge is well known. I can only hope that others will do the same "

"Thank you..." Mobeus steels himself, passing his sleeve over his face for a moment, before opening up his tome once more and begins to write, "What would you like to know..?"

"Knowing who or what Al'Zoon is would probably be a good start."

Jinn gestures to the bar keep for another drink for himself

"I've heard buts and pieces, but have never had this chance to sit and get the while story"

Mobeus nods his head, "Al'Zoon tortured me for a long time, my memory of him is a bit scattered due to this, but feel free to seek out others who can give you more correct information than I. From what I remember, what seems like ages ago, I went to a Tower to collect Portal Stones... it was during this we discovered his return. A Dragon Mage named Al'Zoon from our realms very beginning, a being able to use not only both schools but ritually cast without effort. Many years ago the Arcane Sanctum with the help of a powerful Dragon ally was going to seal him away forever, the cost however was great. To gather several crystals whose nature were from the elements themselves, they had them all, and it seemed Al'Zoon's fate was sealed at that moment, but he arrived during the ritual to get the last piece, The Heart of a Dragon.. A fight ensued and we lost powerful mages that day, our own Archmage through our magics were able to hold him at bay just long enough for the Silver Dragon Athuza to Banish him to another plane.. but not before he shattered her spirit. I was tasked to restore her, that we may use her heart in the same way and end his reign forever. In my quests to restore her I gave up some of myself, was rifted through time, was tortured for so very long, and was saved. Since then I haven't been the same.. we were able to restore Athuza to life and restored much of myself.. Athuza now becoming the Platinum being I am certain you must have heard of. Our fight however leads us to the very heart of Al'Zoon, the Dark reaches... I would lie if I say he didn't rattle me to my core, but we must win lest we face what terrible future a man with such machinations."

Mobeus lets out a sigh while rubbing his left arm, "There is still much I do not know fully, things I may never know, but I know we should be concerned, we should be aware, and we should fight with everything we have."

Jinn sits back in his chair soaking in Mobeus's tale

"We are lucky to have you, after all of that still here wanting to help us. Your tale has out some of the pieces of this complicated puzzle together for me, thank you for sharing it with me. I can only hope to show your bravery if the time comes"

Arlyne enters the tavern, and makes a beeline for the bar. Much needed mead is needed before she starts her research.
As she thanks the barmaid, she notices Mobieus and Jinn not far away; she walks over and asks if she can join them.

Mobeus nods his head slowly, "Hello Arlyne... as I was telling Jinn, there is so much left to share... do you wish to know of something from before you joined our midst, something that might help you in the future?" Mobeus smile gently at her.

Arlyne smiles back;
"I'm sorry if I am intruding on your conversation...there is some thing that I would like to ask about...if you don't mind."

Mobeus pauses before nodding, "If I can help, I will, if I can't, I'll try to find who can... best I can offer..."

He continues to write in the small book before him, while he awaits the question.

Arlyne pulls up a chair and takes a long sip of her mead.
"Do you know anything about Pantherghasts? A group of us had an encounter with one not long ago and it was...difficult to take it down. We tried just about everything on it"
She looks a Jinn "Have you had any run-ins with them Jinn?"

Mobeus nods his head, "Of course, Pantherghasts typically banish a group of individuals making them difficult to deal with, I was a sole fighter against one once, and other times I was kept away by others. They are strange creatures... but they do have weaknesses, but they aren't universal. Just like every Pantherghast can banish a group of individuals, so too can their weakness be. I remember finding one that wouldn't take anything from the magic I used, so I had to beat it over the head with my staff in a true warrior way... something I hope to not do again. Remember that there are a plethora of means to damage, physical, silver, magic, fire, ice, lightning, stone, earth, chaos.. to name a few..."

Saddly I have not encountered one yet... But I am hoping to do so. I heard of your encounter with one over the weekend, And have offered my help if the chance arises to take on another.

"The same happend with us where it banished non females/non males away. We tried just bashing it, alchemy, magic and silver."
Arlyne sits back and ponders for a few moments and chose her next words carefully.
"How would one get a Pantherghast? Is it summoned? Or is it something that just exists?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back