A Familiar Face

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It shall be a grand hunt... that is if they don' eat me first."

Jinn looks Johm up and down

"Why... What... I really need to open that bath house"

"Cutpurse."

He said it so matter of factly that one might assume everything involving a cutpurse inevitably ended in an impromptu tar and feather. He took that moment to quaff his drink, only to pause and sputter out a lone bit of down.

"Now depending on who you ask, it was a fae, it was the forest, or it was the little prick's buddies who dumped a chicken cart on me. I'm not sure which I believe less but sadly they're all plausible."

Hells, could have been the townsfolk.

"Taking on this badge was akin to putting an archery butt on my back, here more than anywhere it seems."

Kai starts to head into the tavern. She sees Kumari with Jinn, and stops. Remembering the conversation she had with Jinn, she chews her lower lip, holding back tears. She turns and leaves.

"I am shocked... the home guard are such a honourble and respected organization... I can't see why ANYONE would wish you ill will.... at all........ ever......."

Seeing something out of the cornor of his eye Jinn turns just in time to see the foxkin's tail disappear from the doorway. He turns to Kumari with a look.

"There may he someone you need to speak with sooner rather than later"

Billin walks in the tavern. It had been a long few days and he needed something to relax before his next task. After ordering a stiff drink he sits down next to Johm.
"Ignore what this one says" he says to Johm, motioning towards Jinn. "The homeguard do their jobs and they do them well."

Turning towards Mobeus, Billin asks "How have you been, haven't seen you in a while, a few months at least."

A messenger arrives within the tavern. He bears the insignia of the Arcane Sanctum. He quickly scans the room and turns his attention to the table where Magi Mobeus sits. He makes his way over. Pauses for a brief moment. "Apologies for interruption, but I have a missive for Kumari Ferriah." he hands over the sealed letter, embossed with the ArchMage's stamp. With another quick gesture of respect and a nod to the others at the table, the messenger turns and leaves.

Kumari raised an eyebrow from Johm to Jinn. "Okay then...? And to be fair, the Homeguard is kinda... Well... Yes. You'll have a target painted on you at all times. So have fun with that Johm." The Sarr waved a bar maid over and made a small motion with her hand. The woman ran off quickly as Kumari pulled out her silver. "So... Things have been crazy lately? Go figure. Look at my shocked face. I'll meet back up with you when the mists open." She slapped Jinn on the back and handed the returning server some silver and downed the two shots she was offered. She stood abruptly and turned to rush out the door... But is stopped by a messenger. She takes the note, a curious expression on her face, and walks out the door to open the letter.

His eyes flicked up at the sudden flurry of motion from the door, a hand twitching towards his blade. Training was a bastard like that, even at rest he was a jumpy little fellow. Attention returned to his friend, even as Billin settled next to him.

"See? The only people that don't appreciate us are the people that perceive we've wronged them, people that have never needed us, or criminals. Sadly it falls on all of us when only a few are responsible for the ill will."

He watched Kumari go, sympathy in his eyes. She had a lot of crap to deal with, and it was only going to get worse. With a grunt he turned to Billin.

"On that subject, I meant to apologize for the state of that business with the Kanask the other day. Some of our men need a bit of training. Training I intend to see happen soon. I also have a business proposition for you dwarf, should you have interest."

"Is Kumari a part of the sanctum?" Billin asks those still at the table.

Turning towards Johm again Billin shakes his head. "While your apology is appreciated it is not needed. My stolen property was returned to me quickly, and, while I don't believe they were properly punished, I don't think they will do something like this anytime soon."
Taking a long drink Billin then continues with a smile "I am always interested in business, what do you have in mind?"

"Forgive me I don't mean to speak ill of the home guard, I just like busting johms chops over it."

Jinn nods to Kumari ad she leaves, wishing her the best of luck. Heathen turns to Billin

"No shen is not..."

Johm was surprised. Jinn so rarely acknowledged that his antagonism was good natured out loud. He snorted. If Kumari was Sanctum then he was a fish. Probably the Arch Mage reminding her that he was irritated with her for something.

"Yes that's another issue I'll need to address as well. But I digress. My unit's armory is going to be getting an overhaul now that we're settled for a bit. As you know if our gear is wrecked in the line of duty there's the usual avenue of sending them to you and yours for replacement, usually around six bells in the evening."

He took a drink, and flicked a feather off of the rim of his mug with disdain.

"But that's only in the performing of our duties. My men need swords and armor even if they're lost outside Homeguard action. It's a dangerous world. My thoughts were we could come to an arrangement between us, you sell me stock from a little under market value, though still at a profit of course, and I ensure that the homeguard buy it from me before smoking anvil or Scarlette or anybody else for that matter, very likely with a copper thrown in to help maintain the stockpile. That goes for scrolls from your end there Jinn. We always need Lights, at least a few."

Another drink.

"I know that you both have your markets relatively cornered, and that's fine. Most of the homeguard already buy from you when they need new gear as it is. But this would ensure steady business for both of ya, and keep the troops away from an inferior product while guaranteeing your custom before your competition's."

"Well you know me... tell me what you need and I'll almost always give it to you. Keep me updated with what you need scroll wise and I'll keep you afloat with reading material. All I ask that you keep an ear to the ground for some reagents o am looking for." He points to the notice he had hung earlier. "Or those rituals over there."

He raised his mug in a sign of appreciation. The troops couldn't be effective bumbling around in the dark.

"You're a right treasure Jinn. Ideally I'll have at least five on hand at any given time, though I'd be happier with ten. I'm not sure how much stress this would put on your abilities to produce, so please feel free to mention this to your colleagues. I know I'm basically asking for charity here, but it keeps us in the fight."

He glanced at the list, nodding. He didn't come across that sort of stuff often, but hey.

"That is indeed an interesting proposition, what kind of weapons and armour are you looking for, and in what number?"
After drinking his last mouthful, Billin motions to the bartender for another round for the table. "I agree that I am pretty much the go to blacksmith." After stroking his beard in thought Billin continues "but, I like the idea of the homegaurd being well supplied. I am sure we can work out the exact numbers and cost later, for now, lets drink."

Jinn smiles at Billin "Now that' an idea I can drink to" He raises he freshly poured glass to the others

"Oh me as well."

He quaffed a significant spot of his drink, indicating a fresh ome would be welcome soon. He turned to Billin again, seemingly thoughtful.

"The usual. A few quivers of arrows, some light armorl. We all have swords so when those break they need replacing. Armor patches and sharpening stones would be good to have."

He shrugged, before turning to Jinn.

"So, oh mighty hunter, what do you think the orcs will have for us?"

Jinn smiles as he downs his drink "Well rumor has it they are initiating a group into their clan, and those initiates will need warriors to join them on some hunt. I've heard the whispers of ritual requests, mighty powerful summoning rituals, that has me curious as well as cautious. I've honestly never dealt much with orcs, let alone the orcs from other lands. I imagine we act accordingly and they shouldn't hunt or eat us. I would say it's the usual adventure for us... be prepared for anything and expect much worse!"

Aisling wanders into the tavern, gazing about her and whistling and the continued impressiveness of the Lux. The little Tari Nor looks none the worse for wear for having been in the forest the past week, aside from several flower crowns in her (white again) hair and a slew of what appear to be friendship bracelets lining her arms. She's got a sort of glow about her, guardianship seems to suit her well. Spying a cluster of familiar faces, she waves chipperly and bounces over in her usual overeager manner.

"Hello! How's the Lux, everyone? You guys should come check out the forest, it's awesoooome. Oh, uhm, I guess you guys have to be careful about it though, or something, because you don't live there, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention..." The silver-haired youth spaces out, squinting off into the distance as though sorting through her own thoughts is a particularly difficult task for her. "Anyway! I'm going to be reallllly busy doing Guardian things and stuff so I won't be able to visit my friends through the Mists this year, I was wondering if any of you could deliver a few things for me?" Pulling up a seat with Jinn, Johm, and Billin, she fixes large violet eyes on the group hopefully, squirming in her seat.

"Oh my gosh, I met a unicorn, by the way! It was awesome. She did not let me ride her. I was sad. But it's okay, because she's teaching me magic and stuff while I hang out in the forest and, like, guard it, I guess, with Siegart and Scarlett and the unicorn... And Saoirse! My pony! She doesn't like the forest very much. I think she'll learn to like it though. Get back to those unicorn roots. She has to be part unicorn, right? With that rainbow mane? I asked the unicorn if they were related but she just kind of looked offended and walked off." The Tari-Nor rambles, as she tends to do, when she is excited, bombarding the pair (and anyone else sitting in the tavern, she's not exactly a quiet sort of person) with the information.

"I spent all winter being hunted by wolves, bandits, and mountain orc. Rocholm isn't exactly the most forgiving wilderness."

He'd been about to continue, when a blisteringly loud voice cut through the chatter. By the time she'd finished, he was favoring her with the kind of look Stig reserved for people that used polysyllabic words, also known as blatant confusion. Though he'd heard the words, half of them had sounded far, far above his limited grasp of the world most Tari-nor occupied. Though to his credit, in the last week he had been involved in a conversation with a dragon, a unicorn, and a fae, all without being turned into a frog or something.

"Uh sure, we'll be happy to bring a few things with us on your behalf."

Kai peeks in from the doorway, and then enters. She makes her way over to her friends, sitting down next to Aisling, who she hasn't seen in a while. She orders a cold but nonalcoholic beverage.

"Hi guys."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back